Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you wasting those dandelions when they are so nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are you wasting those dandelions when they are so nutritious?

Dandelions are one of the best foods on the planet. Since I have raised beds, naturally, I get some in there along with the foods I plant. Well, they grow beautiful and gigantic. So, when I "weed" I can, usually, get a good bag full. If they are too strong in flavor, I just re-boil them.

I take a double rinsed bunch and just chop them up with the scissors, which is quick and easy.

My last bunch were quite mature and were a little fibrous after being boiled. So, I just put them in the pressure cooker, added some water and brought it up to pressure. Then, I turned the stove off and let them sit. When I got around to opening the cooker, they were all nice and tender. All they needed was salt and butter. Yummy!

(I had actually used the pressure cooker pan for the first boiling so all I really had to do was put the top on.)

The best part is that this dynamic, powerhouse food is absolutely free.

Are you tossing them out? What are you thinking?

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20k5.html
    Last edited by SSanf; May 10th, 2007, 02:36 AM.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
    EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

My landlord mows and weeds now. I'm really starting to hate it here!
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Comment

Nice in a salad.

Comment

Why toss 'em?
        Pesticides, dog pee... the usual.

Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ةlistariel View Post
          Why toss 'em?
          Pesticides, dog pee... the usual.
          I'll second that one.......the tea tastes bad enough.....
          sigpic

Comment

You've clearly never tasted dandelion wine!
            If anyone wants the recipe, I can post it here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Oakleaf Circle - Pagan Resources in the UK
            Astrology!

Comment

Originally posted by ValD View Post
              You've clearly never tasted dandelion wine!
              If anyone wants the recipe, I can post it here.
              Do post it.

I don't have the problem with dog pee or pesticides, thank the Goddess. No dogs on either side and the neighbors around here are too disinterested in their yards to do anything but mow. Hence, plenty of dandelions.

You can grow them in window boxes and planters, too. They really are pretty. Your neighbors will think you are nuts. But, they probably knew that, anyway.
              Last edited by SSanf; May 10th, 2007, 10:32 AM.

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
              EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Dandelion greens are delicious and so good for you. I won't just pick them willy nilly in public places, but if they sprout up in my own yard then soup's on.
                "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                Run free and catch the rabbits
                4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

My rabbits get all of the dandelions we get. Can you eat the prickly ones, or just the smooth ones? we only give the smooth ones to the rabbits. I can't imagine eating the prickly ones, and they are about 80% of the ones we get here.

Comment

Yeah I've never had dandelions in any fashion. I haven't even seen any here on the island anyways.

Comment

I like them in tea, root leaves...yum!! My rabbits like them period and so do the goats and sheep and horse!!

Natures free, nutritious, wonderous food that people try to get rid of!
                      :boing:

Comment

LOL..... a few years ago some lady must have just spent the better part of the day on her hands and knees digging up dandelions in her lawn. I saw the pile by the curb and dug threw them for nice young ones and big roots. She came out and told me there was nothing but weeds in the pile. I smiled and said "Weeds to you, herbs and food for me". I thanked her but I think she thought I was nuts. Oh- well. She saved me a ton of work!
                        We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                        (\_/) (\_/)
                        (O.o) ( _ )
                        (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                        Green Room Forum Guide
                        The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(")

Comment

You know,I sometimes wonder if mankind is the only animal that doesn't recognize food, when they see it.

EgwayneR

Comment

Originally posted by seapearls View Post
                            Yeah I've never had dandelions in any fashion. I haven't even seen any here on the island anyways.
                            If you want seeds, PM me and I will send you some. Since they are non-native and could be invasive where you are, please tell me you will grow them inside in pots by the window or something.

EgwayneR

Comment

OK, you asked for it:

DANDYLION WINE

For this you use only the yellow parts of the flowers - no green bits at all, as this ruins the taste. Loosen the petals by squeezing and rolling the base of the flowerhead between thumb and forefinger. Getting enough petals takes time, but it's a pleasant way of spending a sunny afternoon!

INGREDIENTS for one gallon (all measurements UK)
                              4 pints petals
                              2 large oranges
                              1 large lemon
                              6 oz chopped raisins
                              3 pounds sugar/honey (2.5 pounds if you want dry wine)
                              1 cup cold black tea
                              wine yeast

METHOD
                              Make yeast starter with 1pint of warm water, yeast, large tablespoon of the honey/sugar, juice of the lemon. Put this aside to ferment while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
                              Put the flowers into a plastic brewing bucket and pour on 7 pints boiling water. Leave to cool to lukewarm, then add the juice of the oranges, the tea, the chopped raisins and finally the yeast starter. Cover the bucket with a clean cloth and leave in a corner of the kitchen for a week.
                              Then strain off the liquid into a demi-john - try not to include any sludge - top up if needed with cooled boiled water, fit a fermentation lock and leave in a warm dark place to ferment fully. (Leaving the fermentation in the dark is important if you want light-coloured wine.)
                              Check it in about a month and rack it - that is, strain off the sedimentation in the bottle (you'll need a second demi-john for this operation). Keep doing this every 3-4 weeks for at least 6 months. At each racking, add a teaspoon of sugar/honey and top up to the neck with cool boiled water.
                              After that, providing the wine is clear, you can bottle it. As there is still live yeast in it, use corks, NOT screwcaps, on the bottles.
                              Then - enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Oakleaf Circle - Pagan Resources in the UK
                              Astrology!

Comment

Working...
                              X