Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are you wasting those dandelions when they are so nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow Rosette
    replied
    We dont have any on the grass around our apartments. I think it is probably cause people walk to much on them. But I could not pick/eat the ones out there. Im so excited and Toria helped me plant these so I cant wait till she wakes up so I can show her. :boing:

Leave a comment:

• SilverClaw
    replied
    I have roughly 70 or more dandelions in the side of my yard and who knows how may in the back....I took a picture the other day just cause it was so nice and bright ... do not see why people want to get rid of them....

I have Dandelion sprouts!!!!! I planted them sunday and today is wednesday and I have baby dandelions!!!!! Yea!!!!!!
    Whoohoo :D

Leave a comment:

• Willow Rosette
    replied
    I have Dandelion sprouts!!!!! I planted them sunday and today is wednesday and I have baby dandelions!!!!! Yea!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Philosophia
    replied
    We either eat them in salads or give them to our rabbits. Sometimes mum might add them to her soups but she only eats that because my dad can't stand the taste. However, because of the drought, we haven't had many around for awhile.

Leave a comment:

• Willow Rosette
    replied
    Originally posted by alwaysfallingup View Post
    Actually, it's the other way around...the yellow flowers open up, and over time dry to become the white puffballs with the mature seeds. The "puffiness" comes from the silky threads at the end of each seed to help them fly out on the breeze and propogate themselves.

And, you may need to look for other sources...most people think dandelions are a weed and I've never seen seeds for them at Wal-Mart, or anywhere, honestly. Maybe people with access could do an exchange?
    I went to walmart and there was no luck but I then went to our actual local nursery and was able to pick them up. Ha Im all excited over weeds LMAO

Leave a comment:

• Nocturna
    replied
    Originally posted by Agaliha View Post
    The ones in the yard (we have so many) with crow, cat and dog pee and poop...no thanks.
    Heh. That's the reason I've never tried them. Now I really want to! Maybe I'll try to gather some seeds and grow them in a pot in my apartment. I'm already the building oddball.

Leave a comment:

• Agaliha
    replied
    The ones in the yard (we have so many) with crow, cat and dog pee and poop...no thanks. I have ate dandelions grown for food, in a fancy salad mix. Not too bad.

Leave a comment:

• alwaysfallingup
    replied
    Originally posted by Visha'sMommy View Post

But I dont understand something (Im still waking up) How do you go from white puffy make a wish dandelion to pretty little yellow flower dandelion? I never even realised they were the same thing?
    Actually, it's the other way around...the yellow flowers open up, and over time dry to become the white puffballs with the mature seeds. The "puffiness" comes from the silky threads at the end of each seed to help them fly out on the breeze and propogate themselves.

And, you may need to look for other sources...most people think dandelions are a weed and I've never seen seeds for them at Wal-Mart, or anywhere, honestly. Maybe people with access could do an exchange?

Leave a comment:

• Willow Rosette
    replied
    Hmmmm thats interesting.
    I found this and thought it was very interesting.

Im going to go to walmart and see if I can pick up some seeds, this sounds so cool and in that botanical thread they appear to be amazing little things.

But I dont understand something (Im still waking up) How do you go from white puffy make a wish dandelion to pretty little yellow flower dandelion? I never even realised they were the same thing?
    Last edited by Willow Rosette; May 12th, 2007, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SSanf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ř©listariel View Post
    Yeah, exactly what part/s should we eat and how do we prepare it?
    Eat the leaves. Picked young and tender, eat them raw in spring salads.

Older and medium sized, boil them and taste. If they are too strong in flavor, pour off the water and boil them again. They should be good with salt and butter, then. If they are still too strong, you can boil and change the water until they taste good to you.

Old and too tough, boil them once drain, put in the pressure cooker. When it reaches pressure, turn off the heat. Let it cool down as you do something else. When you open it, they should be tender.

To make chopped greens, just cut them up with the scissors before cooking. Season them as you would any green.

When the flowers are first forming and are in the "button" stage, pick the buttons. Get the kids to do this and don't fuss when they eat some while picking. LOL! It's good for them. Young kids particularlly like this kind of activity. At least, for a while. Coat the buttons in the same batter you use for any fried vegetable and fry the buttons. (I just eat the buttons raw, too. Dipped in dressing is nice. But, that's me.)

Using these methods, you should get months of free eating with good variety as to how to cook and serve them..

Gather the roots, clean and then and roast them until they are hard dark and brittle. Pound or grind them up and use for substitute coffee.

Gather the flower petals and make wine.

So, you get three kinds of vegetables and two kinds of drinks from this one nutritious free plant. Not bad for the price! You are genius with the food budget.
    Last edited by SSanf; May 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SSanf
    replied
    You all are talking the poofy white flower we pick and make a wish on???
    That's the one!

Leave a comment:

• Elistariel
    replied
    Yeah, exactly what part/s should we eat and how do we prepare it?

Leave a comment:

• banondraig
    replied
    Originally posted by ValD View Post
    I've tried that, and it does taste like chicory. However, it took me one largish root to make one big cup. And I found that digging the root up, washing, chopping, roasting it was an awful lot of work for just one cup!
    can you eat the root raw or does it have to be cooked?

Leave a comment:

• banondraig
    replied
    You all are talking the poofy white flower we pick and make a wish on???
    yes, and its leaves and also the yellow flowers that grow from the same plant. i always liked dandelions. they're so cheerful.

Leave a comment:

• ValD
    replied
    Originally posted by alwaysfallingup View Post
    Something I've heard but have never tried is that you can roast the roots in the oven and grind them, then use them as a coffee. It's supposed to taste sort of like chicory. I've never tried it because I don't like coffee, but I do love dandelions in lots of other ways!
    I've tried that, and it does taste like chicory. However, it took me one largish root to make one big cup. And I found that digging the root up, washing, chopping, roasting it was an awful lot of work for just one cup!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X