Milk Alternatives for Cooking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk Alternatives for Cooking?

We recently figured out that my hubby is lactose intolerant. Not liking the taste of Lactaid, we switched to rice milk for drinking and using on cereal (I'm now hooked on the stuff.. it's so yummy!). I'm wondering, though, how well it would work in cooking. Anyone have any tips/experiences?

How about with soymilk or almond milk?

Which do you prefer?

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
    And there are many paths to tread
    Through shadows to the edge of night,
    Until the stars are all alight."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

I assume you mean for baking?

1. most people who are lactose intolerant can eat yogurt (because the lactose has broken down) you can replace yogurt with milk at a 1:1 ration

2. soymilk or rice milk are reasonalbe replacements in a 1:1 ratio

alas, these will work for sweetish things... for savoury things like white sauce, replace it with chicken broth, I would do savoury biscuits with plain yogurt.

If you have a look through older cook books (circ 1940s) rationing had lots of people working out ways very smart ways to make reasonable foods without milk.

also look into some vegan cookbooks.
    Last edited by Tanya; June 4th, 2007, 10:56 PM.
    Mitakuye Oyasin

Comment

Good ideas! I don't know why it didn't occur to me to look into vegan cookbooks.. I'm going to make that my weekend project.

I wasn't thinking so much about baking, but things like mashed potatoes, cream sauces for pasta, or scrambled eggs, etc. I guess there are a few options I can look into... Thanks for the input.

"Home is behind, the world ahead,
      And there are many paths to tread
      Through shadows to the edge of night,
      Until the stars are all alight."
      J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

My husband drinks soymilk because regular milk products interfere with his digestion.

Comment

I am lactose intolerant and while I do use Lactaid, I do use unflavored plain soy milk for baking. Other milk companies make lactose free milk, so you can try that and see if it tastes different. Also, the biggest and "bestest" thing??? Lactose intolerant people can drink goat milk with NO problems. I don't use it as often as I'd like because it's hideously expensive but it is an alternative to cow's milk and I don't mind the taste. You can get it in cartons and in powder form and mix it yourself like regular powdered milk. My intolerance isn't as bad as some people's, I still eat cheese, ice cream and other dairy products, I just can't eat much and definitely not for several consecutive days - I'd be really sick. Milk itself does make me sick if I drink it straight, I'll use the Lactaid in my coffee but I rarely drink it straight up. Good luck!
          "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
          Run free and catch the rabbits
          4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Working...
          X