What's for dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
    I didn't know it either. I've fixed sausage lots of different ways, but never with mashed potatos before. I prefer chips (fries) over mashed, but the rest of the family likes mashed, but the rest of the family likes mashed so I'll have to try that sometime.
    I have a great recipe for sweet italian sausages.

Take 1-2 packages of sausages.
    3 cans of sliced potatoes. (suppose you could use parboiled potatoes)
    fresh or canned mushrooms
    1-2 cans sweet pea's.
    Olive or vegetable oil.

Place sausage in casserole pan,add potatoes,peas and mushrooms, drizzle a good amount of oil over everything. Bake in the oven at 375 for 45-60 minutes (until sausage is fully cooked and potatoes a browned)

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamSpell333 View Post
      I have a great recipe for sweet italian sausages.

Take 1-2 packages of sausages.
      3 cans of sliced potatoes. (suppose you could use parboiled potatoes)
      fresh or canned mushrooms
      1-2 cans sweet pea's.
      Olive or vegetable oil.

Place sausage in casserole pan,add potatoes,peas and mushrooms, drizzle a good amount of oil over everything. Bake in the oven at 375 for 45-60 minutes (until sausage is fully cooked and potatoes a browned)
      Interesting. Another recipe I've never tried. I just used the last of the potatoes to make a cheddar-potato chowder last night, so this will have to wait until we shop for groceries again. Wonder if it would taste as good with ham instead of sausage. We received a 10-pound pre-cooked ham over the weekend. Going to get half of it shaved at the grocers, made some ham-cheese salad for sammies already. Was wondering what else to do with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lunacie View Post
        Interesting. Another recipe I've never tried. I just used the last of the potatoes to make a cheddar-potato chowder last night, so this will have to wait until we shop for groceries again. Wonder if it would taste as good with ham instead of sausage. We received a 10-pound pre-cooked ham over the weekend. Going to get half of it shaved at the grocers, made some ham-cheese salad for sammies already. Was wondering what else to do with it.
        yea you could probably use ham too. You could use ham in replace of tuna in tuna casserole too. (with cream of mushroom soup). We use cream of celery in ours because dh hates mushrooms.
        Last edited by DreamSpell333; December 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM.

Comment

• A simple turkey soup made with homemade turkey stock, diced turkey, corn, minced garlic, thyme, sweet basil, and a pinch of salt.

An apple salad made with diced apples, celery, and pecans, tossed with a light bit of mayonnaise.

This will be served with hot homemade bread, butter, and honey.

One has to explore all manner of ways of using turkey this time of year! LOL!
          ~Wood Nymph~

Cottage Witch Homestead group:
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cottage_Witch_Homestead/

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamSpell333 View Post
            yea you could probably use ham too. You could use ham in replace of tuna in tuna casserole too. (with cream of mushroom soup). We use cream of celery in ours because dh hates mushrooms.
            That's how my mom was. I love mushrooms though. I'd rather keep celery in the fridge and dice some fresh to go in the tuna casserole - or whatever. I didn't used to buy celery because it would go limp in a week and I felt like I was always wasting most of it. But then I learned how to keep it crisp in the fridge for more than a month so now I almost always have celery on hand. I'd much rather have celery than peas in my casserole, but frozen peas aren't too bad once in a while.

We have a meeting at the county mental health association this afternoon, so we may just reheat the soup from last night - make grilled cheese sammies to change it up.

Comment

• I think I'm going to make Chicken a la Jim!

This was a concoction made by my grandfather and it's incredibly good for using leftovers!

2 or 3 cup leftover chicken (boned)
              Leftover spaghetti sauce
              2 cups rice
              Mozzarella cheese

1. Cook rice as directed.
              2. Spray oven dish (9” by 18”)
              3. Layer rice, chicken, sauce twice.
              4. Top with cheese and bake at 350 for 25 min.

I'll also add in some mixed veggies on the side.

Blinkie Maker

Live Journal| Twitter

sigpic
              Thank you, Catiana, for the wonderful turtle montage! :D

Comment

• Last night was homemade soup with white beans, kale, roasted tomatoes and some leftover chopped Italian sausage.

Tonight I'm not cooking so I'll probably do the "fridge buffet" - eating all the leftovers.
                "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                Run free and catch the rabbits
                4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

• Roasted squash and black bean burritos...I think.
                  If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
                  helps you feel your life protects you,
                  cradles you and connects you to everything.
                  Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Comment

• Tonight it's from scratch chicken and sausage gumbo!

Comment

• Last night was homemade soup with white beans, kale, roasted tomatoes and some leftover chopped Italian sausage.
                      'Tis the season, especially with snow arriving here in the north. I made fabada asturiana a couple days ago, leaving out the usual chorizo because I didn't have any on hand. White beans, onion, garlic, saffron, some stock (I usually use chicken, but I only had turkey on hand), a couple bits of leftover ham, all the bits of ham fat and skin I had in the freezer (obviously strained out at the end), and the last couple links of blood sausage. Since it gets a bit dull without the kick from the chorizo, I dumped in a bunch of good smoked paprika to make up for it.

Warmed up great tonight with the last of a bag of potatoes baked on the side. I just wish my chive plant was still producing - the dried stuff is a poor replacement. Even managed to use the last of some experimental bread I made last week with the spent grain from my first batch of beer.

I seem to be using a lot of leftover bits of things lately...
                      JFGI

Comment

• breakfast was for dinner...pancakes and scrambled eggs (with green pepper, tomatoes, sausage & cheese).
                        "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
                        It's always been there inside of you.
                        One saving grace that's hard to face.
                        Embracing the truth will change your fate.
                        It's up to you and the path you choose,
                        To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
                        The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
                        Will you have what it takes?
                        Come what may." - J Schaffer

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiberias View Post
                          'Tis the season, especially with snow arriving here in the north. I made fabada asturiana a couple days ago, leaving out the usual chorizo because I didn't have any on hand. White beans, onion, garlic, saffron, some stock (I usually use chicken, but I only had turkey on hand), a couple bits of leftover ham, all the bits of ham fat and skin I had in the freezer (obviously strained out at the end), and the last couple links of blood sausage. Since it gets a bit dull without the kick from the chorizo, I dumped in a bunch of good smoked paprika to make up for it.

Warmed up great tonight with the last of a bag of potatoes baked on the side. I just wish my chive plant was still producing - the dried stuff is a poor replacement. Even managed to use the last of some experimental bread I made last week with the spent grain from my first batch of beer.

I seem to be using a lot of leftover bits of things lately...

I'm going to your house for dinner, I adore Spanish food.

Tonight's dinner is French lentil stew with garlic sausage.
                          "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                          Run free and catch the rabbits
                          4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

• whole wheat rotini with homemade parmesan alfredo sauce yummo!
                            Need someone to talk to? I'm Helping Hands listed!

Banner by MoonKnight

"To be sensual, I think, is to respect and rejoice in the force of life,
                            of life itself and so to be present in all that one does,
                            from the effort of loving to the breaking of bread."
                            - James Baldwin, Author

I've been GHOSTED by Master Kodiak!

Comment

• I'm going to your house for dinner, I adore Spanish food.

Tonight's dinner is French lentil stew with garlic sausage.
                              If you haven't taken a look at it yet, I HIGHLY recommend 1080 Recetas, which is available in English or Spanish. Far and away the canonical bible of Spanish cooking with, obviously, 1,080 recipes. The book is so massive they include three bookmarks. I was sad to leave it behind when I went to England for school, but fortunately I made friends with a couple Spaniards who had insisted on lugging their Spanish editions along with them.:P
                              JFGI

Comment

• Milk, popcorn and oatmeal. I need more groceries...
                                Blessed Be, in both Light and Darkness.

Feed Me!

Need an amazing pagan discussion podcast to listen to? Then look no further: http://imbleedingprofusely.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X