What's for dinner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    I love 15 bean soup - One of my favorite things on a cold day.
    I have never been a big fan of 15 bean soup, but what I have had wasn't very good so that may be why.

I always have been fond of a good soup on a cold day.
    ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

Comment

• Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
      I love 15 bean soup - One of my favorite things on a cold day.
      mine too

Originally posted by Fairywolf View Post
      I have never been a big fan of 15 bean soup, but what I have had wasn't very good so that may be why.

I always have been fond of a good soup on a cold day.
      I make it really differently then any 15 bean soup you've probably ever had. Well it's different then I've ever seen it made.

I throw out the spice packet that comes with it. I mix two kinds of some sort of Japanese stock cube things. I don't even know what they are called because the writing is all in Japanese. But I'll attach a picture for the heck of it. I put in some green beans, some wax beans (so now it's 17 bean soup) and some white hominy. I use 1 package of brown sugar bacon, then I cook the ground bison in the bacon grease. I use lots of spices and blackening seasoning.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
      I can see widows and orphans through my tears
      I know my call despite my faults
      And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
      And I won't let you choke
      On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
      And I will change my ways
      I'll know my name as it's called again
      ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaos Hawk View Post
        I throw out the spice packet that comes with it. I mix two kinds of some sort of Japanese stock cube things. I don't even know what they are called because the writing is all in Japanese. But I'll attach a picture for the heck of it. I put in some green beans, some wax beans (so now it's 17 bean soup) and some white hominy. I use 1 package of brown sugar bacon, then I cook the ground bison in the bacon grease. I use lots of spices and blackening seasoning.
        Yours sounds really good. I can't tell what the Japanese stock is by the pic. but could it be kombu? The brand of 15 bean soup I've been buying the last couple of years doesn't even come with a seasoning packet, it's from Bob's Red Mill and I usually add diced onion, carrot, celery and garlic, sage & thyme (fresh if I have it) and a big old ham hock. Sometimes towards the end I'll add a little tomato paste for flavor and I'll use chicken base (bouillion) to season it. I'm going to add hominy to my next batch, I love it and don't use it as often as I'd like to.
        Last edited by WitchJezebel; October 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM.
        "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
        Run free and catch the rabbits
        4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

• Pizza is what we are having for dinner.
          Stalker of Gareth!

Comment

• Cheddar and sour cream pasta with chicken and veggies.
            I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
            By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

Comment

• Tonight I am going to try to make lamb burgers. I had an idea while at the grocery store and it's going to be an experiment.

But I will hold on hope

Comment

• Tonight it is going to be butterflied chicken breasts, breaded and fried. served on Naan bread with cheese, ranch and hotsauce. AKA homemade buffalo chicken sammies.
                Stalker of Gareth!

Comment

• Homemade vegetarian burritos; homemade refried beans, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro & hot sauce. Small salad on the side.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                  4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

• Back to the basics... pepperoni pizza and beer.
                    God is an underachiever.

sigpic

Comment

• Possibly minced beef with vegetables, a casserole. Not sure yet.
                      :boing:The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.:boing:

Comment

• im thinking of having a curry, but knowing my cooking skills its likely to be beans on toast
                        -- Ghosted by Crystal Willowtree --

sigpic

Comment

• I'm thinking along the lines of baked pasta... Not sure which shape of pasta I'll use though... Definitely LOTS of mozzarella on top... :mmm:
                          "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

• Some kind of pasta dish with asparagus.

R.I.P. MiLo
                            4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

• I love asparagus...it's so expensive, though...and my son won't eat it.

Tonight I think it's some sort of soup.
                              "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
                              instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
                              which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

• Wednesday is Pizza night.

But I will hold on hope

Comment

Working...
                                X