Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for vegetarian or vegan winter recipe with Israeli couscous.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for vegetarian or vegan winter recipe with Israeli couscous.

I occasionally go to these Full Moon potlucks. Loki and I found a big canister of Israeli cous-cous at the store and I bet our friends at the potlucks would love it. These are sustainable potlucks, so produce should be local and in season. I've found lots of summer recipes, but few for winter. I found a delicious-looking butternut squash recipe, but it features preserved lemon, which I can't get. There is also a stew with squash, but someone always brings ratatouille or similar and I think the vegans get tired of stew. I'm searching for a hearty dish that the vegetarians and vegans can eat and the omnivores can enjoy too. Suggestions, please and thank-you?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

I know you said someone always brings ratatouille or something similar, but this sparked me to look for the ratatouille from the Disney movie Ratatouille. They actually feature it over a bed of cous cous in this article and recipe! http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/

M
    ight be cute
    "The magnificent, marvelous, mad, mad, mad, mad Madam Mim!" ~ Madam Mim, Sword in the Stone

Comment

Any problem with serving it in the traditional way, plain or with fried onion and tomato paste?

Broccoli and cauliflower are coming into season, and with that you can make a broccoli, cauliflower stir fry to have with it and add the cous cous towards the end... (and maybe add some coconut cream or milk... mmmmnom)
      Last edited by Aeon Flux; January 4th, 2012, 04:34 AM.
      Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The only problem with serving it plain is that I'm not serving it at home, its for a potluck. Plain seems a little boring, who brings plain rice or noodles to a potluck? I hadn't thought of broccoli. I do have a small Hubbard squash, but not sure what else to put with it.

The ratatouille is cute, but as stated, someone always brings that, and those are all summer vegetables.

Comment

The only problem with serving it plain is that I'm not serving it at home, its for a potluck. Plain seems a little boring, who brings plain rice or noodles to a potluck? I hadn't thought of broccoli. I do have a small Hubbard squash, but not sure what else to put with it.

The ratatouille is cute, but as stated, someone always brings that, and those are all summer vegetables.

Comment

Why can't you preserve your own lemons? It is actually one of the easiest preserving methods I've ever done and they last FOREVER in your fridge afterwards....

Here is the recipe I used...

9-12 lemons with the ends cut off and the peels split into but not thru the lemon
            a ton of sea or kosher salt
            big jar, I use an old pickle jar

I put the lemons in a ziplock bag full of salt as I cut them and when done, shake it up well to make sure every inch in the cuts is full of salt. Cover the bottom of your jar with salt. Smush all those lemons down into the jar. You want the juice to run, fill in with salt as you do this and top with salt when done. Leave it out on the counter out of direct sunlight. Shake the jar or tunr it over when you walk by. Do this for eh 2-3 days. Then, if your lemons aren't covered, add enough squeezed lemon juice or water to cover, put the lid on and put the jar in the fridge.

There you go, preserved lemons.
            Khara's Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
              Why can't you preserve your own lemons? It is actually one of the easiest preserving methods I've ever done and they last FOREVER in your fridge afterwards....

Here is the recipe I used...

9-12 lemons with the ends cut off and the peels split into but not thru the lemon
              a ton of sea or kosher salt
              big jar, I use an old pickle jar

I put the lemons in a ziplock bag full of salt as I cut them and when done, shake it up well to make sure every inch in the cuts is full of salt. Cover the bottom of your jar with salt. Smush all those lemons down into the jar. You want the juice to run, fill in with salt as you do this and top with salt when done. Leave it out on the counter out of direct sunlight. Shake the jar or tunr it over when you walk by. Do this for eh 2-3 days. Then, if your lemons aren't covered, add enough squeezed lemon juice or water to cover, put the lid on and put the jar in the fridge.

There you go, preserved lemons.
              This is the method I use as well; I love them!
              "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
              Run free and catch the rabbits
              4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

I add them to darn near everything. Adds a touch of the mysterious to stuff and people are always going what did you add to this it's awesome but I can't quite identify it.

I take goat cheese or I have used cream cheese, mix in a bit of preserved lemon, sun dried tomaotoes, a few herbs and such then roll that up in the croissants from the can and make pinwheels with those OMG yum. Baste with a touch of lemon, butter garlic sauce before baking and WOW!!!

WJ, have you tried limes or grapefruit yet? I did a little jar of both just to see and oh dear lord you should taste my cerviche these days!!!!
                Khara's Chaos

Comment

I'm going to try your cream cheese spread, sounds great for a gathering; I could eat them every day in pretty much anything.

I have also preserved limes but never grapefruit!! I'm definitely going to try that one as well.

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                  4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

That is so awesome!!! Thank you!

Comment

I've been enjoying winter salad. It's got red cabbage, also green, thinly cut carrots, chopped walnuts, some may choose nut oil or sherry or wine added, mustard, ground pepper. There's different types of winter salad. I also like it heated a little.
                      :boing:The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.:boing:

Comment

Originally posted by ~Runa~ View Post
                        I've been enjoying winter salad. It's got red cabbage, also green, thinly cut carrots, chopped walnuts, some may choose nut oil or sherry or wine added, mustard, ground pepper. There's different types of winter salad. I also like it heated a little.
                        YES!! So much heartier than plain lettuce in the Winter. I've been on a kick with escarole this week (not the curly one); in Italy they'll cook it down, but I love the texture raw with the shaved carrots, celeriac, toasted walnuts and slivered red onion. Lately I've been making a vinaigrette with finely diced shallots, sherry vinegar and walnut oil; so tasty.

Woops, thread hijack. Move it along people, nothing to see here...

R.I.P. MiLo
                        4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

No that isn't a thread jack, Brymble wanted winter veggie recipes.....

I do a meatless stuffed squash that is really good. I prefer Acorn squash, but you can use a sweeter variety, just up your spice a little.

I mix yellow rice - 1/2 cup per squash, the bean of your choice, though black is really pretty in this, tomato 1/2 cup bean and tomato per squash, roasted chillis (your choice, poblanos are mild and tasty, but I prefer a couple of seranos 1/4 poblano chili per squash whole serrrano per squash) roasted garlic smushed figure one clove per squash, chopped onion and a pinch of black pepper. Now I have added tofu crumbles as well, but eh, they are not necessary as the beans are good protien.

Scrape out your squashes and poke a hole about the size of a dime in the bottom, cut the flesh into small cubes and drizzle with EVOO. Roast with your chilis, garlic and if you are using fresh tomatos, those too. Keep an eye on this, you don't want burned squash you do want black chilis, tomatos and garlic. Cook rice while all this is going on. I just use packaged yellow rice, but if you have the saffron to make your own.....

Peel and chop chilis and tomato, mix with rice, beans, squash and onion and anything I missed and stuff your squashes. Bake at 300 for 30-45 minutes or until the outside of the squash is good and dark green. You will have liquid in the bottom of the pan. I serves these as their own entree with bread and a salad....
                          Khara's Chaos

Comment

Just saw this - the stuffed squash sounds yummy; I'm actually going to try and grow them this year as well as butternut. Last year my butternut plant died I'm going to try again.

R.I.P. MiLo
                            4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Originally posted by WitchJezebel View Post
                              Just saw this - the stuffed squash sounds yummy; I'm actually going to try and grow them this year as well as butternut. Last year my butternut plant died I'm going to try again.
                              You have to plant at least 3 mounds. At least that is what I was taught, everything in threes.

I am debating what I am going to grow this year, while I have more room than usual, I don't know that I want to tear up what little back yard I have. Decisions, decisions.
                              Khara's Chaos

Comment

Working...
                              X