No announcement yet.

The Longest Thread On MW (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fear of bees is melissophobia, which isn't the fear of people named Melissa.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Comment

• Is the fear of people named Melissa called Avispaphobia?
      The secret ingredient is LOVE!!

Comment

• In the spring, the reigning queen lays queen eggs, which get special treatment. Usually the first one out stings into the other new queen cells. The reigning queen then flies out with a sizable entorage to find a new place to reside. I found this swarm on a grape plant about 50 feet south of the bee tree. I called my farmer friends right away, and they sent the bee guy over.

He is an old guy named Robert, and he was calm and steady.
        I took photos from the next row over as he scooped the bees into a bee box.
        He had removed two frames to open enough space to dump the bees in.

Comment

• The swarm on the bush was a solid mass of bees about the size of my head (7-1/8).
          He had on a beekeepers veil and long gloves, and he just scooped them right into the bee box. Then he shook the grape plant, which made a bunch more fall off and buzz around. When he had most of them in, he put the lid on, and smoked the bees remaining on the trunk. Then he backed off for a bit, took off the gloves and veil, and we chatted about bees.

After a while he went back to the box, and lightly smoked any remaining clumps of bees.

He said that he was pretty sure that he had the queen inside the box, and that the others would go in soon. He said that he would wait until dusk, then come back and get the box. he said that the way that the bees were in front of the box showed that the queen was inside because they were fanning her scent out so that the other bees would know to come on in.

The swarm settled down within 15 to 20 minutes, and after that there was just the usual comings and goings.

He came at dusk and picked them up. I am happy to see them in a place where they can be cared for and the honey harvested. Robert has 2 to 6 hives at various farms and orchards around this part of the county, for pollination mostly, but production as well.

Comment

• Hello Thread2!

It was 105 today!

WOW Nannymouse! That is so awesome! Great pics! That had to be really incredible to see!!! I wouldn't want to get to close to those bee's either.....but look at Robert, just hanging right out there, no bee suit or anything! Glad the bee's could be removed safely and have a happy new home!
            You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Thank You Sennefer!

"To me, photography is an art of observation.
            It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place...
            I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." ~ Elliot Erwitt

Once you have seen someones true colors,
            you can never paint over them. ~CLR~

Comment

• 105 Celsius? That's really hot
              -Me

(\_/)
              (O.o)
              (> <)

Comment

• Nope....but it was still REALLY HOT!
                You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Thank You Sennefer!

I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them." ~ Elliot Erwitt

Comment

• 105 Kelvin?

Comment

• Originally posted by nannymouse View Post
                    105 Kelvin?
                    That's really cold.
                    -Me

(\_/)
                    (O.o)
                    (> <)

Comment

• 102 today!
                      Tomorrow is suppose to be cooler though....93.

Thank You Sennefer!

Comment

• But it's a dry heat...

Comment

• Not here it's not....it's icky humid heat!

Thank You Sennefer!

Comment

• Today I did my first swim in the river, and I worked in the garden, and I got the first sunburn of the year!

I almost set up the scuba and did a little dive, but we had some late visitors, and got sidetracked. SyreaTuitionsaid that she was willing to give it a try again. She went through the training with me, but chickened out when it came time to do the open water dive. We will give it a try someday soon.

We also want to take the canoe downstream. We are 146 river miles from the sea, so we may want to take a couple of days to do it...

Comment

• That sounds like a great day!

Thank You Sennefer!

Comment

• It was a nice day! We went from cool, windy, cloudy to sunny and hot.

The boys asked if they could start at 5am, so they would be done with their work before the heat sets in. I told them "Fine, but don't expect ME to pry myself out of bed so early!"

The grapes are all bushy now, and we are thinning out the shoots in the spots where they are too dense.

The grapes have started to flower now, and they are actually about 3 weeks behind their normal timing, but the old timer down the road said that they will probably catch up, so the harvest will not be 3 weeks later than last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X