Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Chuckles** Knock your socks off.
    ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

*hugs* Hello everyone!
      Oh Noz Oppression!
      Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

Comment

Howdy. Boy, you were online late last night. I had only gone to sleep an hour before you posted that. **hugs**

I was up late looking at different kinds of parrots. There's no way in hell I can get one while I'm still living in this house, but maybe some day. Not that I want anything bad to happen to Tris. As much as I vent about his being a difficult bird, he does have his good points. And he is sweet, in his own weird way. I just need to work with him more (his biting and flightiness do tend to discourage interaction) before I consider getting another bird. And I do fear that a new, hand-reared, hand-tame delightful ball of feathers would usurp time I should be spending with Tris. Plus, there's absolutely no guarantee that the birds would get along. Sometimes, with birds, it's hate at first sight. And major jealousy. Well, with the exception of the Eclectus, the other birds I chose (on my LJ entry) are approximately the same size, and all of them have personalities that would jibe with that of a cockatiel (which is a relatively sedate species when compared to an insanely hyperactive conure).

Wolfscout once mentioned he saw a cockatoo in my future. My answer to that is, not unless someone dumps it on my doorstep or I find it in my backyard. The only cockatoo I ever had was my imaginary pet bird, back when I was seven. That's what later made me inclined to getting a cockatiel. Cockatiels have a crest, like their cousin the cockatoo, but they are smaller, quieter, and more affordable. (And FAR less prone to feather-plucking.)

**orders a ham and Mexican cheese blend omelette with hot salsa, and hashbrowns and sausage links on the side, and a glass of half orange juice and half ginger ale**

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

Leaves a big pile of hugs for the group. "So good to see you all even if we're ships passing in the night." Mabel, may I have a pile of waffles? (Sigh, can't do that in real life, so might as well develope a knack for fantasy food.) With strawberrys, cream and a cappucino? Thankies.

Birds both scare and delight me. They are such a mystery to me, and so ancient a species. I look at their feet and get weirded out, but they are such beautiful animals. So I watch them and periodically have fantasies about having some, like a paraket or little finches. Then my budget bell goes off and reality sets in. Sigh.
          "One out of every four people in this world is mentally unstable. Think
          of your three best friends. If they seem normal, you're the one." --- Ann Landers

Comment

**smiles and hugs back** You're always a welcome sight to see, materra. I'm glad this place exists so that at least we can all see where each other have been and pretend that we're seeing each other at that point in time.

I've never understood how people could fear birds. Fear of bird bites, yes (because that always sucks), but not fear of the birds themselves. 'Thena is afraid of them, too. And I know some people think birds are omens of bad fortune. **shrugs and smiles** And then you have people who are bird lovers who affectionately refer to bird droppings as "blessings." (This relates to the superstition that if a bird craps on you, it's considered good luck and that it's bad luck to wipe it off.)

In reality, birds are just lizards that grew feathers to keep warm. That's why their feet are scaly. You're seeing all that's left of the fact that they are small, modern-day dinosaurs.

You can afford a pet-quality budgerigar (the common green or blue parakeet you see in stores). I've seen some that cost only $16. Then, it's another $40 or $50 for a cage. (This is by far the most expensive item for any bird, but it will last the life of the bird, and $50 spread over the course of 20 to 30 years for a budgie is a sound investment.) Perches can be any nonpoisonous, nonrotting tree branch you find in a backyard, and toys don't have to be expensive, either. Some birds love tearing newspapers into little bits. Others like destroying the $2 craftstore undecorated straw wreath that was on clearance. Still others will love nothing more than to untie knots in a shoestring and slide beads along a bent bit of coathanger wire.

Fresh veggies are the same as the ones you'd put on your plate. Same with frozen ones. There are only a few things birds aren't supposed to eat. (Chocolate, alcohol, caffeinated things, carbonated things, salty things, milk products -- except maybe a tiny bit of cheese every now and then-- and raw potatoes are some of them.) Most birds love pasta and plain, unsalted popcorn. Uh, don't feed your bird oyster stew, no matter how much it begs. The bird will love the taste and eat a bunch, but...uh, well... uh... bird crap is normally odor-free. (If you notice that your bird's crap has a smell, bring it to a vet.) It will not be odor-free if it eats oysters. Jenn has learned this the hard way.

Other than occasionally picking up seed or pellets (you'll probably use one $6 bag of pelleted food in about three months). Kaytee is one of the better brands. Stay away from Hartz.

Caveats: Normal, healthy birds are noisy. Even the "quiet" species have their moments (usually at dawn and dusk, which are the communal roosting, feeding times for most flock birds). Normal, healthy birds are also messy. This is how rainforests get seeds spread. It's by messy birds having fun and enjoying their food. Normal, healthy birds are often almost completely indestinguishable from all but the deathly ill ones. (So, if you see a bird with garbage in its nostrils, or coming from its mouth or its eyes, or if it's sleepy, puffy, and lethargic, or if the tail is bobbing or the bird is hanging around the bottom of the cage, do not buy that bird. In fact, do not buy any of the birds in that enclosure at the pet store.)

Sadly, you probably won't have to worry about vet bills for a bird. Usually, by the time you see that your bird is ill, it's too late to help them. However, if you do notice your bird is ill, do not wait (not a night, not even an hour) to get your bird to an avian vet. (Yes, unfortunately, it must be to an avian vet if you are to have any chance of saving a sick bird. Ordinary vets are of virtually no use when it comes to birds.)

Also, birds have this weird way of bonding more strongly with one person than anyone else, though they may still be friendly to everyone they meet (or not... it depends on the species and on the particular bird). This bird's bondmate is usually the person who adopts it and cares for it and plays with it most. However, sometimes that doesn't happen. Sometimes, a bird that you adopt can end up bonding with your son or your boyfriend or anyone other than you. It's frustrating in the extreme. And it often leads to the next statement.

Birds are like potato chips. Eventually, just about everyone who has one bird ends up getting another, either consecutively or concurrently.

Birds involve a lot of time, care, and love. Birds are funny, weird, entertaining, loveable, playful and often kind of unpredictable. Actually, their behavior is usually perfectly predictable and acceptable for a prey animal, but since we're not bird-brains ourselves, it can sometimes be hard to see how an extension cord -snake!- or a ceiling fan - hawk!- can be something that sends a bird into frightened hysterics.

But for all of that, if one can put aside domestic animal expectations and be patient and nurturing, a bird can become your closest, most loving, and most valuable companion.

They have an added benefit over dogs and cats. They are incredibly empathetic. Not in the mystical sense.... rather, as a flock-oriented prey animal, they are constantly watching every move other members of the flock make, and they are constantly on the alert for things that could hurt themselves or their flock members. They read moods easily, and they tend to react to those moods. If you're angry, don't even think of touching your bird. (It won't let you. It'll either run or fly away... or if you corner it, it'll bite you.) In this way, they force you to calm down and put aside those feelings. If you're sad, it will know that, too, and it will snuggle close to you, preen your hair or your eyelashes and probably want you to scratch its head and neck. Or perhaps it will do something to make you laugh.

Birds are also good for learning how psychology works. If you want someone to stop shouting, you yell at them to shut up. This frequently works with people. Not so with birds. The bird lovvvvvvvvvvvves attention. Any kind of attention is better than no attention. And it lovvvvvvves drama, too. So if it screams, and you come running into the room screaming at it and waving your hands at it to get it to be quiet, you just inadvertently gave it the most thrilling adventure of its day, and you also just told it that if it wants attention, it can do that again and you're going to come in the room all over again carrying on and yelling at the top of your lungs.

Birds are feathered two-year-old children that never, ever grow up. It's can be a pain in the ass, and it can be amusing, but it's also the most valuable gift and lesson birds have to teach us. Never grow up, stay innocent, and enjoy life to the fullest whenever you can.
            Last edited by Ahautenites; December 3rd, 2005, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Thank you for all the bird information....it is wonderfully complete. I knew birds were small dinosaurs, which is part of what wierds me out... they are so ancient a species. I love watching hawks and eagles... and crows and ravens... ravens are amazing. Oh and we have wild budgies here...and other show birds. They survived being lost or let lose. I am just so amazed at them. I saw a show on Macaws I think they were... really colorful, one is called a military macaw? The pair for life. They have a place in the Amazon you can go see them eat clay and food. You can stay and bird watch for a long time. So beautiful, so mysterious. Sigh.....

Yes, I am glad we can visit here too. I miss our old Tavern group. I am enjoying my new character in the LU...ShopVac. I'm having quite a bit of fun with it. Well,and the DB's too. Warm regards Jen... see ya soon. Hi to all.
              of your three best friends. If they seem normal, you're the one." --- Ann Landers

Comment

**orders a mug of warm, sweet, vanilla milk, takes the beverage and sits in a big, cozy chair and drapes a soft, violet chenille throw around her shoulders**

I love my dad, but he's such a jerk.

**scowls and broods because her dad's a git**
                Last edited by Ahautenites; January 8th, 2006, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Bored out of my gourd. I've been in this house for the last two days and I'm going out of my mind with boredom.

**strolls over to the jukebox and starts playing a lineup of Disturbed, Puddle of Mudd, AudioSlave, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, System of A Down, and Linkin Park, the orders a Cider Jack and goes to play pingpong with the dust bunnies**

Comment

**strolls into the quiet tavern after a long absence, sits in the sunlight in her favorite chair, opens an issue of "?" (pronounced "Mystery Magazine") and reads while munching some wasabi peas until a house elf comes to take her order** A glass of white zinfandel and vegetable stew would be nice. (Weird for breakfast, but who cares?)

Comment

Materra plops herself in a chair at the table bringing the vegie stew and wine for her friend. "So how the heck are you and where have you been?"

Comment

Plur stands just inside the door, allowing her eyes to adjust.

Comment

Hi Plur. Welcome to the C&B.

**gives materra a huge hug** Howdy, lady. I'm all right. Very tired lately, though. Lots of work at work and lots of homework, too. I'm just glad I didn't take the third class I was going to take. I'd never be able to do three classes and still work full-time. It's just too exhausting. How are you?

**orders lobster bisque and a glass of champagne**

Comment

*Hugs Ses back* "Ahhh, classes. That explains much. Yes, school and work is something I did too... tired doesn't really discribe it. I used to dream about classes and wrote papers in my sleep. The good old days. LOL.

As for me, not so good but still hanging about and having fun with Dust Bunnies and such. No lack of imagination in my brain...just a lack of cognitive function that I could really use. And pain that continues unabated. In other words the usual but more. Sighs.

My son is home tho, which relieves me beyond words. He says no more Middle East stuff...

Materra turns to Greet Plur...."Hello and welcome. Hope you have fun here. " :cheers:

Comment

Glad to hear that your son is home. I hope the pain you're feeling lately does abate somehow, and soon. **hug**

Mike, could I get a glass of peach wine and some toast with creamed asparagus?

**settles in a cozy chair by the fire and zaps up a stack of comic books to read and mail-order catalogs to look through**

Comment

Settles in for a good read and snack by the fire enjoying the companionship without needing to talk. "Mike I'll try the peach wine too please, but with some cheese and crackers. Thanks."

Comment

Working...
                                X