Jay Bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Bruce

After being what many consider to be the top baseball prospect, made his major league debut last night. He went 3-3, 2 walks, and a stolen base. How is that for a debut? So, what are your predictions for this young man?

As for me, I will avoid the long term, short term, I could see him winning Rookie of the Year.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Predictions for a rookie phenom? That's always a good topic.

Rookie of the Year in the National League will probably be Soto from the Cubs if they continue to have a good year. He's given a lot of credit for handling their pitching staff and does his share of clutch hitting.

As for Jay Bruce, I don't know what else a kid can do in his debut game. Taking 2 walks alone is amazing but then to 3-3 in his other plate appearances. By all accounts he is a 5 tool player and is accepted by Griffey and Dunne in the clubhouse. Not sure how long he will stay in centerfield but I am guessing he will eventually be a corner outfielder possibly moving when Griffey finally gets out.

I imagine the next month or so will be good for Bruce but then the pitchers will have enough film on him and they will make adjustments. If he is still a hot rookie in August then all the hype will look like smart scouting.

Comment

Originally posted by KellyP View Post
      Predictions for a rookie phenom? That's always a good topic.

Rookie of the Year in the National League will probably be Soto from the Cubs if they continue to have a good year. He's given a lot of credit for handling their pitching staff and does his share of clutch hitting.

As for Jay Bruce, I don't know what else a kid can do in his debut game. Taking 2 walks alone is amazing but then to 3-3 in his other plate appearances. By all accounts he is a 5 tool player and is accepted by Griffey and Dunne in the clubhouse. Not sure how long he will stay in centerfield but I am guessing he will eventually be a corner outfielder possibly moving when Griffey finally gets out.

I imagine the next month or so will be good for Bruce but then the pitchers will have enough film on him and they will make adjustments. If he is still a hot rookie in August then all the hype will look like smart scouting.
      You have a great point, we will have to see where things are 2-3 months from now. Another great night tonight though, 1-3, 2 walks 1 run. It should also be pointed out the Reds are playing the Pirates. But for any player to go 4-6 with 4 walks, 1 stolen base, and 3 runs in any two game period is impressive.
      There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

I predict he'll do well provided he doesn't get too cocky... or he doesn't choke under ultra-high expectations and publicity... like another team-mate who's 2 away from a record... (in Griffey's defense, I think it sucks that some of the pitchers are forcing him to walk [of course I know I wouldn't want to be the pitcher that handed him that run])
        Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Feel Free to PM me with your request

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

Your friendly solitary non-traditional eclectic.

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Comment

Originally posted by thought_on_a_wind View Post
          I predict he'll do well provided he doesn't get too cocky... or he doesn't choke under ultra-high expectations and publicity... like another team-mate who's 2 away from a record... (in Griffey's defense, I think it sucks that some of the pitchers are forcing him to walk [of course I know I wouldn't want to be the pitcher that handed him that run])
          He has been under pressure all year, I don't think he will choke. Griffey has a lot of things going on and is a whole nother subject.

Comment

Originally posted by memnoch View Post
            He has been under pressure all year, I don't think he will choke. Griffey has a lot of things going on and is a whole nother subject.
            True true. Either way, they didn't do half bad tonight. :hehehehe:
            Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Comment

That was a nice homer Saturday to clinch the win... He looked like hitting the ball that deep past the fence was the easiest and most effortless thing he could do...
              Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Comment

Working...
              X