Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simulation Sickness - anyone else get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulation Sickness - anyone else get it?

For those of you who don't know, simulation sickness is similar to motion sickness, but sort of reversed.
    I get it sometimes when I play games. Your brain reacts to the lack of movement even though your eyes are telling you that you are moving.

It only really seems to be an issue with some games. I can't play Alone In The Dark on the ps2 for too long, for example, and some similar games on the PC. But I can spend hours in front of Oblivion without problems... same with VTMB. I suspect it has something to do with the pace of the games.

Anyone else have a problem with it? Any suggestions on how to prevent it?
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

I do! All the time.

I play World of Warcraft and for somethings...If im running/flying in circles or turning lots of different ways quickly....I get nauseaous and have to log off. My husband thinks its funny. Unfortunately, I dont have any prevention tips, so Ill be keeping an eye on this to see if anyone else does.

Comment

I get it sometimes too. Both headaches and nausea. Especially when I used to play World of Warcraft. Not so much when flying but the bounding up down motion that you got on some of the mounts, just made me ill. Sometimes the flashing neon in that game (like in netherstorm) make me really sick to my stomach also. Star Trek Online was the same thing. There was one mission in the wormhole that was all swirling columns and flashing light streams and I had to throw up after the mission.

So tie me to a post and block my ears
      I can see widows and orphans through my tears
      I know my call despite my faults
      And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
      And I won't let you choke
      On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
      And I will change my ways
      I'll know my name as it's called again
      ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Advice from a Nerd and Medical guy.

Ok I get it too, I am a fool for most motion-sicknesses
        It has to do with your monitor refresh rates...if you have an old CRT, pitch it. get an LCD... they are cheap now... and will blow a CRT away any day. Old CRTs, give off the low-level Radiation that strains your eyes.

Also, make certain you are not sitting in a way that crunches your neck... too high or too low, can cut off oxygen going to your brain, and making you dizzy too, and it wreaks havoc on your eyes. It cuts off alot of nerve impulses and messages, that go to your brain.

Check your refresh rates! 60-80 Hertz is the best. (or 120 if you have a kick-ass monitor). If they are refreshing slower then the human eye, your brain can see the frame rates and it blows your mind... much like when you see someone filming a monitor, and you see the scan line/ refresh bar.

it can be the colors.. try using a darker set of colors... if you can use 'windows classic" theme. Or actually turn down the contract and brightness on your monitor. Also, make sure you are running your monitor at its best possible color rate. If your playing a game, and not going to blink alot, make certain you have darker colors, so you dont 'fry' your eyes... (I am going though that right now). Also, just blink alot, before you start to play, or about ever 15-20 mins into game. it relaxes your optical muscle eye strain can cause major head aches and motion sickness issues.

Aside from being a Hypnotherapist, I was also a certified MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), in my other life, when I was a L33T NE4d.

Games I play:

Halflife2
        DoD (day of defeat)
        Steam ID: mosin_m44 or (mr.mosin in game).
        WHAT?!?! Just because I am a therapist, who has an affinity for swords, does not make me Dr. Lecter... I could never eat meat

Comment

The only thing I have been able to find about how to prevent it is to chew on ginger, sit further away from the monitor and to move your upper body in accordance to the movements of the game.
          Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
          X