U.S at war with Great Britain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S at war with Great Britain!

no, this isn't about the American revolution, or the War of 1812. this concerns a small conflict over a pig that nearly escalated into a major international war!
    'The Pig War', as it has come to be known, occurred in 1859 on San Juan Island, a small body of land which now belongs to the United States.
    but at that time was a disputed territory lying in the Haro Straits exactly in between Washington and Vancouver Island. and when an American settler shot a pig that was digging in his yard, all hell (nearly) broke loose!
    the story lies here...
    http://www.nps.gov/sajh/pig_war.htm

this first came to my attention when the Dragonfly and i vacationed in the San Juans a few years back. it's a beautiful area which, because of it's being situated in the shadow of the Olympic Mountains, has it's own micro-climate. they generally get about a third of the annual rainfall of nearby Seattle.
    there's lots to do there, with two lighthouses (one of which is a major Orca tracking station) and LOT's of great restaurants. and everywhere you go there are reminders of The Pig War.
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

The Toledo War

Ever hear of the Toledo War? This was a war between the states... just two of them, Ohio and Michigan. The fight was over the placement of the border between the two- whether it should be to the north or south of present-day Toledo. Though troops did amass near Toledo, no shots were fired, as I understand. The Federal government intervened, granted Toledo to Ohio, and carved off a big chunk of the Wisconsin territory to give Michigan its famous "UP", or Upper Peninsula.

Ah, the wars you never hear about in school...
    What would Jesus really do? Throw out the capitalists, turn water into wine, and party 'til dawn.

Comment

Working...
    X