The Battle of Midway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Midway

this was America's first real success in the Pacific, and proved to be a crucial turning point early in the war.
    had Japan been successful in aquiring this tiny little island, they would have had a staging point for further attacks on Pearl Harbor and the U.S mainland!
    what this report doesn't mention is the account of the U.S pilot who was shot down into the sea, and was floating in the water watching the entire battle unfold around him! he was later picked up, but not before getting an amazing story to tell his grandchildren! that would be exciting, huh? definitely an 'A ticket'.

another important result of this battle was the emergence of the aircraft carrier as the prime weapon of naval warfare. this job had been that of the large battleships, which really were obsolete since their inception almost fifty years earlier. this was a lesson which the German Navy never learned, or things might have been different in the Atlantic too!
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

I'm not very up on Naval history, myself. However, I do remember watching an old version of the movie about the historical battle. I think every Military History buff has watched that movie at least once, and i've dated alot of Military History buffs.

Kind of on the subject, but..straying a bit..my other favorite "war" movies, were "Good Morning Vietnam", "Bridge over River Kwai", "Glory", "The Blue and the Grey", "Pearl Harbor", "Platoon" and "Apocolypse Now". and..i suppose you could consider Forrest Gump to be a partially war movie
    Lucas Michael, you are with me still. Not a day will go by that I won't remember. Lucas Michael Demascena con. 5/15, dec. 6/29. Wait for me.

Forum Guide- History Forum

Comment

i think Apocalypse Now! may be the greatest American film ever made, imo. certainly one of the top 5.
      have you seen the 'Redux'?
      and Bridge Over The River Kwai was great too, as was Lawrence of Arabia, Zulu and Spartacus. in fact the Dragonfly refused to ever watch a war movie until i turned her on to River Kwai. now she loves all the above movies.
      and if we include Forrest Gump, then maybe we can include Casablanca as well?
      some people are like slinkies -
      not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Working...
      X