Favorite piece of military equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite piece of military equipment

I don't know a lot about military equipment so I was wondering...

What is your favorite piece of military equipment? Why?
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Are we talking current weapons or weapons in development?
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Comment

Wow, I don't think I could narrow it down to one. Small arms and aircraft have always interested me. Restricting myself to the 20th century, I'd say for aircraft, the Sopwith Camel, Supermarine Spitfire, F4U Corsair, A-10 and F-15. The Russians built some kick-ass choppers, too. Small arms I'd have to go 1903 Springfield, 1911 Government Model .45, M-1 Garand, Thompson submachinegun, and the BAR.
      "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
      with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Comment

The sword, probably the rapier of all the different types.

The sword makes combat personal, requires skill, courage and strength to use properly. Although I am not looking to kill anyone I just find the whole concept of the sword noble in a strange way.

The Corinithian Hoplite Helmet always moved me too, there's no better looking headpiece in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TygerTyger View Post
          The sword, probably the rapier of all the different types.
          I prefer longswords, myself. However, with my new acquisition of Cold Steel's kopis machete I'm getting a whole new appreciation for shortswords. They are wicked weapons to face. I'd have to add bowie knives, too. But then there's the good ol' battle axe. Man, I love the heft of a good Viking-style battle axe...
          "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
          with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Comment

http://www.eurofighter.com/
            Definately the EuroFighter Typhoon - nothing even comes close

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdJJVpI8X8E

Comment

Myself <-- Army Sergeant lol

The Katana, beutiful and deadly. Was scientifically proven to be the best all around melee weapon to date.

And the C-130 gunship a.k.a. Spooky and Puff the Magic Dragon
              Exitus Acta probat
              "I cast magic missile into the darkness."
              THE GOD OF RANDOMIZED THWACKING and silly wars
              Current # of disciples: 42

I got most of my souls back.
              "Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever" - the Replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuadu View Post
                http://www.eurofighter.com/
                Definately the EuroFighter Typhoon - nothing even comes close
                Those things rock with there thrust vectoring engines. Though I think the Raptor would have been a better choice, because they have that, then some.

As far as the most lethal weapon it would be http://www.futurefirepower.com/futur...ystems-soldier the Land Warrior (I think the UK has a version called FIST).

It's a combination of sensors buried/dropped in the area, as well as information from drones, spy planes, normal battlefield intelligence and there also experimenting with very small agile flying robots that fly like a helicopter with just a camera on it to integrate into it as well. Well I should say that flies like a fly, though not THAT small...

It sends the signal to anyone with the system to give them the information with a small LCD screen. There's also a new gun that has explosive rounds and can explode with a pre-programmed distance from the barrel so you can, (the rounds have electronics in them) say make it explode 200 meters away, shoot above/side of what cover they have so it explodes and they still get nailed. The laser sighting automatically gives you a distance to the target, ill have to see if I can find a link for it.

In other words, it will make battles, for who has the system, more like a real-time strategy game. Were your looking over head and can see were they are, how many, what they got and were they are going. So each soldier will know this at all times. Of course it's not perfect, and there are ways around it, and it wont pickup everything... however.

Combined with the gun, all of the sudden they cant hide behind walls, or even hills, because you just shoot right above them. So they wouldn't be able to come out from a safe distance behind whatever it is to shoot at you.

The ultimate weapon is battlefield intelligence and this gives anyone with it basically a game over advantage if they don't. (given if resources aren't overwhemingly unbalanced)

The next step would be to integrate mechanical strength into it, which isn't as far off as some might think.
                Last edited by Vampiel; November 6th, 2008, 04:28 PM.
                You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Comment

The air burst weapon you are referring to is the Bushmaster canon. A devasting weapon.
                  Exitus Acta probat

Comment

Originally posted by jodarius View Post
                    The air burst weapon you are referring to is the Bushmaster canon. A devasting weapon.
                    If this is what you are referring to http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...tems/mk-44.htm no thats not it. This one is a single soldier weapon, hand carried like the M16 just slightly larger.

Comment

Found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OICW

The central idea of the program was to develop a rifle that enabled the attacking of targets behind cover by using airburst munitions. The munitions were to be much smaller than pre-existing grenades and grenade launchers, but large enough to be effective. The idea was refined into a combination of a short assault rifle and semi-automatic, low-velocity cannon firing air-bursting munitions. The OICW aimed to use advances in computer technology in a weapon that fired grenades automatically pre-set to explode above or beside targets hidden from view. Fragmentation from the exploding grenades would defeat the target when normal rifle fire would be ineffective.
                      So it looks like they consider the explosive rounds "small grenades" not bullets - makes sense. Though the program has been plagued with all kinds of issues. Looks like the ALIENS gun heh

Last edited by Vampiel; November 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jodarius View Post
                        Myself <-- Army Sergeant lol

The Katana, beutiful and deadly. Was scientifically proven to be the best all around melee weapon to date.

And the C-130 gunship a.k.a. Spooky and Puff the Magic Dragon
                        Katanas are a very romantic weapon but I wouldnt say they are the best melee weapon purely because of the level of training required to make any clean cuts with a Katana is excessive. You could pick up an Iron bar or a bottle and do more damage more easily.

Case and point see the pics below I got in a fight with a nutter with a Katana 3 months ago. The loon was trying to kill me but he didnt have formal training. The really interesting thing is he actually went for my leg first to try and stop me from running I suppose but the angle was wrong and it didnt result in a cut just a blunt crushing blow.

I managed to close the distance and hold him down and there are pics of the injuries below. Its easy to hack with a Katana but far more difficult to use it effectively. If hed walked up and stabbed me form behind instead of relying on a romantic ego boosting weapon (or if he was less of a loon) Id be dead.

Comment

Holy shit! Glad you came out on top!

Comment

Damn. As per the best melee weapon I was going off of a show discovery channel did that surmised the katana as the best all around weapon. They did alot of tests, and all these weapons were wielded by masters, so I guess it may be its only the best in the hands of a trained person. But it beat out the claymore for cutting and almost equaled the rapier for stabbing. It was an awesome special.
                            Exitus Acta probat

Comment

I miss my M 249 SAW and M 203.

Comment

Working...
                              X