theres somthing wrong here, right???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theres somthing wrong here, right???

(not sure if this belongs here or in the help section, but figured posters here would be more informed, and it is relevant to the military)

I recently decided to join the military and am almost finished with the recruiting process (I go to M.E.P.s in 3 days), but some of the things my recruiters have been telling me don't feel right. Most of it has to do with the background check; I used an Inhaler as a kid, but haven't refilled a R.x. since i was 12, I also smoked pot a few times, but my recruiters told me that neither of those things "where consequential", and told me to answer no to both questions that specifically asked me if i have "ever" done either of those things on the Official paperwork. the bottom of the page said that lying on the form could get me a fine, dishonorable discharge, and/or 5 years in prison, so naturally I'm concerned. but my recruiters also told me that if either of those questions where checked yes i could get disqualified from the process altogether or at the very least we would have to fill out more forms, get waivers, and my case would get buried in red tape that would move my ship date out a few months. that isn't really an option considering the local economy hasn't recovered at all and is continually spiraling, which leaves me (an 18-year-old w no job experience), no chance of finding a job, much less finding one with opportunity. the armed service is my last shot to make something good out of myself and i cant afford to screw it up now over paperwork. I don't know what to do.

anyone who's experienced similar situations, or is familiar with the subject or laws surrounding it your advice would be greatly appreciated.

its the military. youre just another temporary warm body in the field. like they care...

Comment

The issue with the inhailor is due to the inability to serve if you have Asthma or similar breathing issues. Usually if it has been more than 5 years (have seen longer and shorter periods) without the need for an inhailor they may tell you to mark no. A few years ago it was almost an immediate discharge, today with the numbers I'm not so sure it would be.

The same sort of applies to the usage of pot. When I entered in 1978 it was almost a guarentee that we had a waiver. I've seen plenty of people enter over the years and the only time it came up was when they had to redo or update a security clearance.

The recuriter is correct in that if you answer yes the process gets pushed back depending upon your job placement. There will be a number of extra forms to fill out.

I will state beaware that the recruiter may also offer you the world and can not deliver it. One thing you have to make sure of is if it's not in writing it is not honored. The other issue is you maybe promised a job but then become ineligble for it for what ever reason. To the military they honored your contract it was you who was unable to honor it. Yet your still gonna be in the military but sent to a job of thier choosing.

What your recuriter is not telling you is that if something comes up while you are still going through boot the most that usually happens is you will be processed out with an admin discharge. The recruiter will be the one that is looked at and might catch hell.

For the record I am a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer with 23 years of active duty. I've been retired about 10 years now so some of the stuff has changed, but probally not that much inregards to the contract.

Comment

I recently joined the Navy (well, June made a year since I shipped). My recruiter told me the same thing. If they find you lied about it they will kick you out, I've seen it happen, but I think those cases were like previous charges and such. It makes the process so much smoother in a lot of cases. Mine for example, any medical problems I may have had, I have no record of as my medical records are screwed to hell.

Also with the pot thing, "nobody" in the Navy has done it. You say you have and you have to get wavers, and all kinds of crap, its an annoyance, and retarded IMO, especially if it was teenage experimentation. It can also affect the jobs you can get from what I understand. Unless its recent enough to be in your system, I wouldn't worry about it, if it is, then don't go to MEPS until you're 100% sure its out, your recruiter more than likely will drug test you before you go.

Is it right? Hell no. Does it happen? All the time. This is actually normal from what I understand.

If you're really worried about it, talk to your recruiter, and if you can, find someone who knows the military entrance process besides your recruiter and talk to them.

Basically your recruiter will do anything to get you to sign on the dotted line, its their job. Also, technically, they aren't allowed to tell you this.

Listen to Chief! (MonSno)
        Last edited by Aoife; September 12th, 2009, 05:04 AM.

Not all those who wander are lost.
        -J.R.R. Tolkien

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
        -Galileo Galilei

What is this life if, full of care,
        We have no time to stand and stare?
        -W. H. Davies

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.
        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
          The issue with the inhailor is due to the inability to serve if you have Asthma or similar breathing issues. Usually if it has been more than 5 years (have seen longer and shorter periods) without the need for an inhailor they may tell you to mark no. A few years ago it was almost an immediate discharge, today with the numbers I'm not so sure it would be..
          yeah thats it, i know if wind up in on a bed for anything even close to respiratory the doctors gonna request my med history... then im boned; alotta people wind up getting injured in combat arms

BTW after a "filing mistake" (post boot)like that whats the punishment you usualy saw dished out for somthin like that( judicail, non-judicial, ext)

I've seen plenty of people enter over the years and the only time it came up was when they had to redo or update a security clearance..
          my job reservation requires the "secret" clearance, and i dont feel to hot about any of the other jobs, in education, advancement, or money aspects of it.( i already decided im joinin but im still gonna shoot for the best deal i can) I already did a self admittal on a juvinial petty larceny, i wasnt even booked for it but had a police report filed against me. i havent toked in about 7 months but i not sure how long it stays in the system (i think it could have been laced w somthing the buzz was WAY diffrent then usual)

I will state beaware that the recruiter may also offer you the world and can not deliver it. One thing you have to make sure of is if it's not in writing it is not honored...
          yeah all the vets if talked to tell me that, if its not annexed onto the active-duty contract i aint huggin signin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bohemian View Post
            yeah thats it, i know if wind up in on a bed for anything even close to respiratory the doctors gonna request my med history... then im boned; alotta people wind up getting injured in combat arms

A lot of it will depend upon what you ended up in medical for. If it's breathing then yes they will request your civillian medical records most times. If something else then probally not.

BTW after a "filing mistake" (post boot)like that whats the punishment you usualy saw dished out for somthin like that( judicail, non-judicial, ext)

Post boot I really have not seen them do anything legal unless it was a major issue. Of course if your a trouble maker then they tend to lump all that together as extra reasons to get you out.

Sometimes you'll get sent to a medical board to see if it is something you can overcome or perhaps something your allergic to. Depending upon the board reccomendations you might get out on a medical which may have other things attached to it. Some medicals have benefits attached.

Most times though it was an admin discharge or a general. Nothing special, basically released due to incompatability. If they stack charges because of trouble maker then it can be admin, general or BCD.

my job reservation requires the "secret" clearance, and i dont feel to hot about any of the other jobs, in education, advancement, or money aspects of it.( i already decided im joinin but im still gonna shoot for the best deal i can) I already did a self admittal on a juvinial petty larceny, i wasnt even booked for it but had a police report filed against me. i havent toked in about 7 months but i not sure how long it stays in the system (i think it could have been laced w somthing the buzz was WAY diffrent then usual)

The toked would be out within 30 days max normally unless it was mixed with other things. If so it could be months that it will still show up depending upon what it was.

I will for warn, if you were smoking that recently they might turn it down as unfit for service. That one is sort of an iffy call. A lot will depend upon how bad they need personnel in the rating you are enlisting for.

Secret is pretty base line actually. I recall there were only two ratings in the navy that only needed a confidential but that may have changed. I would suppose the same for the other services pretty much.

It's when you start getting into the TS with addendums on it that it gets tricky. Those usually go all the way back to birth.

The petty if it was before 18 is no big deal really. For a straight secret they won't even go back before your 18th normally. Yet it may come into play depending upon which service branch you are entering. The Marines were pretty selective, the Air Force and Navy a little forgiving and the Army would take anyone.

yeah all the vets if talked to tell me that, if its not annexed onto the active-duty contract i aint huggin signin it.
            That's pretty much the basic. If it is not in writting it was not offered or aggreed upon.

Comment

yeah, i don't intend to cause any trouble for anyone but the taliban, thanks for your help, it sounds like i should be fine... ill be sure to post back and let you guys know how it turns out.

Comment

back from MEPS

okay finally back from MEPs and none of the crap i was worried about was a problem +however+ there was a problem and again its really weird. I passed the physical like a cake walk and scored a 67 on the ASVAB, but when it was time to pull my MOS shit went downhill, you see apparently a GED is very, very different then a high school diploma in the military (if I would have known this I would have never dropped out). so I needed to take some new test called the AIMs test (assessment of individual motivation) on which a passing score is a 46, I scored a 44. now apparently i have to wait AT LEAST SIX HUGGING MONTHS until I can retake the test and be qualified to join. I did some research but not much came up, the only thing that did was a page saying that the AIMs test is only an assessment and has nothing to do with actual enlistment (then why am I DQ'd for half a dammed year???) the whole thing smells like fish.. anyone got any Idea what is going on here cause I would sure as hell love to know.

Comment

Don't lie...plain and simple. Let the Drs. decide about you breathing issues (or lack there of) and drugs waivers are so common now a days it really doesn't matter.

Not only am I a Chief Petty Officer in the navy, but Personnel/Pay is my job...sooner or later, if you lie now, it will come back to haunt you and when it comes to pay later, it might be more than the lies were worth.

If they want you, they'll find a way to get you in. I know this, because 20 years ago, when I joined, I had a disqualifying illness in my past too...and they got me in.
                  "Some people would rather die than think, in fact many do so." - B. Russell

"Punishments inflicted with signs of anger are useless." - I Kant

"Can't you see what's plain as day,
                  It's always been there inside of you.
                  One saving grace that's hard to face.
                  Embracing the truth will change your fate.
                  It's up to you and the path you choose,
                  To be led to the slaughter or lead the way.
                  The quest for light, a worthwhile fight
                  Will you have what it takes?
                  Come what may." - J Schaffer

Comment

Originally posted by Bohemian View Post
                    okay finally back from MEPs and none of the crap i was worried about was a problem +however+ there was a problem and again its really weird. I passed the physical like a cake walk and scored a 67 on the ASVAB, but when it was time to pull my MOS shit went downhill, you see apparently a GED is very, very different then a high school diploma in the military (if I would have known this I would have never dropped out). so I needed to take some new test called the AIMs test (assessment of individual motivation) on which a passing score is a 46, I scored a 44. now apparently i have to wait AT LEAST SIX HUGGING MONTHS until I can retake the test and be qualified to join. I did some research but not much came up, the only thing that did was a page saying that the AIMs test is only an assessment and has nothing to do with actual enlistment (then why am I DQ'd for half a dammed year???) the whole thing smells like fish.. anyone got any Idea what is going on here cause I would sure as hell love to know.
                    take the six months as part of ya AIM.........if you turn up after six months,your obviously motivated........a lot walk way before that,we have similar in UK,but there they just tell ya,they got the quota and to keep phoning the recruiting office........they soon have a list of the keen ones

Comment

So...did you lie? That can and will bite you in the ass. Especially when it comes to clearances.
                      I still think it is all boiling down to social stigmatism, which is a horrible thing to see on a board that preaches tolerance to avoid persecution for being pagans. I guess incest is just the wrong kind of tolerance. -Charley Brown

Comment

Working...
                      X