Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army recalling 44,000 combat helmets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Army recalling 44,000 combat helmets

    http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/201...ombat-helmets/

    WASHINGTON (CNN) – The U.S. Army is recalling 44,000 Advanced Combat Helmets (ACH), some of which are being used by troops already deployed in combat zones in Afghanistan, because of a concern they do not meet ballistic and other standards required by the Army.
    ........
    "There is evidence that ArmorSource and Rabintex ACHs were produced using unauthorized manufacturing practices, defective materials and improper quality procedures which could potentially reduce ballistic and fragmentation protection," according to an All Army Activities message released May 14 to soldiers around the world.
    .........
    The Army also has 55,000 additional helmets in storage that have not been handed out. Those helmets are also part of the recall and will be destroyed to ensure they are not distributed, according to Gen. Fuller.
    .........
    The 44,000 recalled helmets had been sent to locations all over the world for distribution. Some 24,000 of the 44,000 were sent to a distribution center that gives them to other services as well.


    "We don't know where they are, so they could be on a soldier's head in Iraq or Afghanistan," Fuller said of the 44,000 helmets.


    "We are seeing some getting returned in Bagram (Afghanistan)," Fuller said.


    Army officials acknowledge that there are some helmets probably in Iraq as well.
    I have to wonder if this company was cutting costs purposely that compromised the protection of the ACH's.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.



  • #2
    Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
    http://afghanistan.blogs.cnn.com/201...ombat-helmets/



    I have to wonder if this company was cutting costs purposely that compromised the protection of the ACH's.
    Probably to increase profits.

    Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

    Comment


    • #3
      wow, it's really sad to know that people care more about money than about other's safety anymore...I wonder if my husbands First SGT knows about this. Thanks for the heads up!
      I hate the word housewife; I don't like the word home-maker either. I want to be called Domestic Goddess. By Roseanne Barr :bigredgri

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by H. NightStorm
        wow, it's really sad to know that people care more about money than about other's safety anymore...I wonder if my husbands First SGT knows about this. Thanks for the heads up!
        It is a possibility. The question becomes if it's shown that was the case - what if anything should be done to the people who made that decision?
        You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
          It is a possibility. The question becomes if it's shown that was the case - what if anything should be done to the people who made that decision?
          If it is proven that they did it on purpose... they should at least be charged with criminal negligence, 40,000 charges of it. :D
          Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
            It is a possibility. The question becomes if it's shown that was the case - what if anything should be done to the people who made that decision?
            how could they not know what they were doing? I just don't see how something like that could be a mistake. That's just my opinion though.
            I hate the word housewife; I don't like the word home-maker either. I want to be called Domestic Goddess. By Roseanne Barr :bigredgri

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
              It is a possibility. The question becomes if it's shown that was the case - what if anything should be done to the people who made that decision?
              Let the free market sort it out, right?

              <----SMARTASS!

              :boing::boing::boing::boing::boing:
              ________________________________________________________________________

              Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
              (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
                Let the free market sort it out, right?

                <----SMARTASS!

                :boing::boing::boing::boing::boing:
                I don't see how that's a smartass comment. The free market will sort it out seeing as to how it's primarily driven by profits and if any company where to want to make profits this will set an example to not make defective hardware or the Army will find out about it and cut your countract short. I'll also note that it was a socialist organization that enabled it to go on for so long, but this forum isn't for politics.

                I am somewhat perplexed that it took the Army so long to find the problem and that this company compromised it's integrity in the name of profit to put soldiers at risk. It' just a bad situation all around, however I do give the Army credit for eventually correcting the problem, it does speak of a concentrated effort on their part to continue to test for problems with equipment.

                Originally posted by Kraheera
                If it is proven that they did it on purpose... they should at least be charged with criminal negligence, 40,000 charges of it.
                They purchased almost 100,000 ACH's that where defective just not all of them where put into circulation (the rest are being destroyed). I don't foresee any charges filed and ultimately it was the Army that allowed itself to purchase defective equipment in the first place on such a mass scale.
                Last edited by Vampiel; May 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM.
                You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
                  They purchased almost 100,000 ACH's that where defective just not all of them where put into circulation (the rest are being destroyed). I don't foresee any charges filed and ultimately it was the Army that allowed itself to purchase defective equipment in the first place on such a mass scale.
                  Yes, the army purchased them. BUT... they just purchased. That doesn't mean they knew they were defective.

                  The army, and any other service, is only allowed to purchase equipment from contracted companies. I know this, I've done it.

                  We have to look through the catalogs to find what we need. So it is entirely possible that the defective issue wasn't known by the mobility officers that were buying the equipment. It is also possible that the 100K units were bought BEFORE the defect became known.
                  Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kraheera View Post
                    Yes, the army purchased them. BUT... they just purchased. That doesn't mean they knew they were defective.

                    The army, and any other service, is only allowed to purchase equipment from contracted companies. I know this, I've done it.

                    We have to look through the catalogs to find what we need. So it is entirely possible that the defective issue wasn't known by the mobility officers that were buying the equipment. It is also possible that the 100K units were bought BEFORE the defect became known.
                    That is what happened... the question is why did it pass initial tests but not further testing, and years later? Ballistic tests are pretty basic.

                    I suppose an adjustment should be made in policy. I think the Army was so desperatly looking for new better equipment in recent years it fell through the cracks.
                    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
                      That is what happened... the question is why did it pass initial tests but not further testing, and years later? Ballistic tests are pretty basic.

                      I suppose an adjustment should be made in policy. I think the Army was so desperatly looking for new better equipment in recent years it fell through the cracks.
                      Most likely. And I'm not saying the army doesn't have SOME blame, but as far as I know, most mobility equipment is not authorized to buy until it is... well, authorized. At which point mobility officers just order AS NEEDED.

                      So it would fall on the heads of DOD, and not the mobility officers. That's my point. I'm more worried that if someone smacks the army, they'll point at mobility officers, when it truly isn't those officers' fault.
                      Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kraheera View Post
                        Most likely. And I'm not saying the army doesn't have SOME blame, but as far as I know, most mobility equipment is not authorized to buy until it is... well, authorized. At which point mobility officers just order AS NEEDED.

                        So it would fall on the heads of DOD, and not the mobility officers. That's my point. I'm more worried that if someone smacks the army, they'll point at mobility officers, when it truly isn't those officers' fault.
                        I actually found out who is to blame.
                        You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          who?
                          Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kraheera View Post
                            who?
                            You.
                            You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Oh totally! *grins* I was never in the Army, it's a sister force conspiracy!
                              Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X