• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gays in the Military.....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101020/...xuYnNwc3Rvcg--

~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

I love how one comment on that page says: Who does this Judge think they are questioning a ruling government.. ESP when America was founded on questioning and rebelling against its ruling government. Not only that but there are protected documents IN your government which not only allow it but, at proper times, encourage it.

Comment

Tired of the BS of this

I personally, think ones sexual life is not meant for sharing with everyone... I think DADT, was perfect. To serve openly, really I think is a total invasion of personal privacy... I know many, many gay people who are not the stereo type. Also, as for all of the people who are saying oh its bad having gays in the armed services.... anyone willing to fight, defend my but.... bless them. I mean every last service member!!! While I may not know each one, I send them my blessings every time I hear another one died... really this is a war we cant win, lets get out of there and stop loosing people, over this... there is alot we can do at home to protest the acts of terrorism and 9/11...

Strange but true, my dad worked in the WTC (Heating and cooling working drawings)... he is 50/50 on the whole a single plane took it down... he thinks it was a plane, and a unreported bomb inside- somewhere.... either way... lots of people died, with out reason or sane logic. I think people like that, get an automatic ticket to heaven as being Innocent in the true means.
      WHAT?!?! Just because I am a therapist, who has an affinity for swords, does not make me Dr. Lecter... I could never eat meat

Comment

I think it is about time. I have friends who served who were gay. I served with others who I knew were either gay or bi. I fully support this. What I don't think people realize yet is what this means. This is not the end of a fight, it is honestly the beginning. It wasn't long ago that West Point first allowed women to join...and they went through hell...much of it immoral and unjust. I fear we will see several years of violence amongst our troops, especially in basic training and tech school. There will be several people who are beaten severely and several more who will die. I hope our JAG system deals with this appropriately. I worry more about how it will affect the American psyche. I fear that our troops will take unjust criticism from the public do to the actions of a small minority. I fear that our people will not only lose trust and respect for those who serve, but may even rebel and turn against our troops. I may be wrong. I hope with everything in me I am wrong. Maybe the military has changed in the past 10 years. Maybe my experiences were the exception and not the rule. Maybe I am just looking at the worst case scenario. Again, I hope I am wrong.
        There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by hypno_cossak View Post
          I personally, think ones sexual life is not meant for sharing with everyone... I think DADT, was perfect. To serve openly, really I think is a total invasion of personal privacy... I know many, many gay people who are not the stereo type. Also, as for all of the people who are saying oh its bad having gays in the armed services.... anyone willing to fight, defend my but.... bless them. I mean every last service member!!! While I may not know each one, I send them my blessings every time I hear another one died... really this is a war we cant win, lets get out of there and stop loosing people, over this... there is alot we can do at home to protest the acts of terrorism and 9/11...

Strange but true, my dad worked in the WTC (Heating and cooling working drawings)... he is 50/50 on the whole a single plane took it down... he thinks it was a plane, and a unreported bomb inside- somewhere.... either way... lots of people died, with out reason or sane logic. I think people like that, get an automatic ticket to heaven as being Innocent in the true means.
          I'm going to ignore that your opinions about our missions overseas aren't on topic. I will go farther and ignore that your father appears to be a truther, or at least truther symapthetic (also off topic). Your opinion of DADT I find disturbing. Have you ever mentioned your significant other in a conversation at work...or on a trip...or at a gathering? Do you believe you were sharing your sexual life. Under DADT you were. These troops couldn't mention the names of their partners, they couldn't talk about who was waiting for them at home. They couldn't share pictures while out in BFE on Christmas Eve freezing their asses off trying not to spend all night and the next day in tears. DADT was a step up from prior policy, but it was not perfect in any way. I don't want an army where we have soldiers wearing rainbow patches and chanting "we're here, we're queer, we're bringing up the rear"...but I have no problem allowing our troops to be honest about who they are without fear of retaliation, losing their jobs, getting an other than honorable or dishonorable discharge (destroying their lives), and risking legal consequences.
          There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

While I understand and agree with gays rights I also understand heterosexuals discomfort is sharing personal quarters with openly gay persons . To heterosexual folks especially young ones from conservative cultures showering with some one who is sexually attracted to the same sex is along the same lines of co-ed showers. If heterosexuals can not share showers bunks and close quarters with the gender they are sexually attracted to why should gays be allowed to. I am fully aware that homosexual are not out looking for converts however sexual attraction is a biological function for them just like it is for the rest of humanity.

The sticky wicket is acknowledgment of the rights of both groups of folks and I can see where don't ask don't tell was a viable solution at the time it was made. I think it was a step in the right direction of sexual diversity acceptance - I think we should be heading toward tolerance however timing is an issue. Personally I see no need to make the change in the middle of two wars - to me that is simply asking for trouble.

I do not see matters such as these in terms of right or wrong all I see is two groups who have differences that need to be dealt with in a manner that is as close to fair and equal for both.
            Last edited by Umbress; December 20th, 2010, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Umbress View Post
              ...The sticky wicket is acknowledgment of the rights of both groups of folks and I can see where don't ask don't tell was a viable solution at the time it was made. I think it was a step in the right direction of sexual diversity acceptance - I think we should be heading toward tolerance however timing is an issue. Personally I see no need to make the change in the middle of two wars - to me that is simply asking for trouble.
              I disagree completely with some of what you've said.

When men and women who have loyally served our country for years can be tossed out of the service for the mere fact that they are homosexual we have a problem. People's lives and careers are ruined due to this policy...this is no small thing. Civil rights are not subject to "when we can find the time." The right time is when enough people with moral courage are willing to stand up and say, "enough is enough."

I do not see matters such as these in terms of right or wrong all I see is two groups who have differences that need to be dealt with in a manner that is as close to fair and equal for both.
              In regards to civil rights there is indeed a right and a wrong. Those poor boys that you mentioned raised in conservative areas were the same poor boys who would have been horrified to serve next to an african-american as well when the military was segregated.

I apologize but I can't summon up deep sympathy for the moral outrage of people like this. I feel that it is important to win the hearts and minds of those we disagree with and to not see them as "the enemy" but I have to admit that my heart isn't doing much bleeding on their behalf. Discomfort with homosexuality, like discomfort around most anything, is generally linked to ignorance and unfamiliarity. The goal is to dispel ignorance, not coddle it. It should be dispelled as compassionately as possible but dispelled nonetheless.

It is "right" to offer homosexuals the opportunity to serve openly in the military so they don't have hide in fear or live a lie in order to serve their country. It is "wrong" to deny homosexuals their civil rights and force them to leave a lie in order to serve their country. Some things are strikingly simple in regards to "right" and "wrong."

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon
              Last edited by Sundragon; December 20th, 2010, 06:55 AM.
              Come visit my blog

Sorcery and Spirit

where I discuss Magick, Mystical Spirituality and whatever else comes to mind.

" Wherever you are is home
              And the earth is paradise
              Wherever you set your feet is holy land . . .
              You don't live off it like a parasite.
              You live in it, and it in you,
              Or you don't survive.
              And that is the only worship of God there is."

- Wilfred Pelletier and Ted Poole

Comment

Originally posted by Sundragon View Post

When men and women who have loyally served our country for years can be tossed out of the service for the mere fact that they are homosexual we have a problem. People's lives and careers are ruined due to this policy...this is no small thing. Civil rights are not subject to "when we can find the time." The right time is when enough people with moral courage are willing to stand up and say, "enough is enough."
                I'm currently in the armed forces. I'm not a homosexual, but if I mention sexual activities with other members of the service, I get hemmed up just as bad, and I'd find myself out of a job. Is that right? I believe it is. There is no room for that crap in the field/work/ship/where ever.

So what difference does it make if you can now state that your gay? You can do it now, and in most cases no one will do much anyway. It's when you get into other actions or those actions in inappropriate places. Which goes the same for heterosexuals, so where's the issue?

We aren't here to hook up with one another. We are here to protect the nation. Quit talking about your sex life and do the job. When your done...go home and do whatever you like, with whoever, and keep it there!
                http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/

My dreams and mind,
                Left on a page for the world.

Comment

I don't believe you

Originally posted by Tegh View Post
                  I'm currently in the armed forces. I'm not a homosexual, but if I mention sexual activities with other members of the service, I get hemmed up just as bad, and I'd find myself out of a job. Is that right? I believe it is. There is no room for that crap in the field/work/ship/where ever.

So what difference does it make if you can now state that your gay? You can do it now, and in most cases no one will do much anyway. It's when you get into other actions or those actions in inappropriate places. Which goes the same for heterosexuals, so where's the issue?

We aren't here to hook up with one another. We are here to protect the nation. Quit talking about your sex life and do the job. When your done...go home and do whatever you like, with whoever, and keep it there!
                  What military are you in? The soldiers in my unit do openly talk about their (hetero) sex-life, in addition to the large about of overt (mock)homosexual behavior observed amongst the mechanics, among others.
                  The truth is, unless you get caught having sex someplace you shouldn't, with someone you shouldn't, you don't get kicked out.
                  In other words, you don't get chaptered for talking about sex in the military.
                  I still think it is all boiling down to social stigmatism, which is a horrible thing to see on a board that preaches tolerance to avoid persecution for being pagans. I guess incest is just the wrong kind of tolerance. -Charley Brown

Comment

I'm in the Navy and currently working for 7th Fleet. Due to the overly political surroundings, minor actions are easily blow up around here. They take the UCMJ a little too literally for my taste.

Granted, they will have to have evidence in a Court Martial (so actually caught in the act type crap), though NJP they don't need it. Often times, I've seen people who are a bit too casual with their speech and end up hemmed up. Some have been kicked, since they were able to procure the evidence to do so.
                    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/

My dreams and mind,
                    Left on a page for the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegh View Post

But on the other hand, thinking about it, if I was gay, I'd totally join the Army, specifically because there would be a good chance of a bit of action.
                      Ideal job really, if you don't get fazed by folks shooting at you, and you like a bit of Cock.

Comment

Originally posted by KarmaKanik View Post
                        But on the other hand, thinking about it, if I was gay, I'd totally join the Army, specifically because there would be a good chance of a bit of action.
                        Ideal job really, if you don't get fazed by folks shooting at you, and you like a bit of Cock.
                        Lmfao

FOR THE HORDE!
                        "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
                        www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
                        AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
                        :deviltail

Comment

a ha
                          "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

I don't know whether to find this funny or be offended. I think I'll find it funny, it's easier that way, LOL.
                            Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Comment

I'm a bisexual person, who until November of 2009 was Active int he Air Force. (Medical Retirement, how I hate you.)

Granted, I'm married to a hetero male, and we have 2 children. But this does not change the fact that I am indeed attracted to women. And could I mention it? No. Could I joke around with the guys and say "I'd do her"... no. Because if they took me seriously, I could get into big trouble.

I had to HIDE who I was. I had to constantly censor what came out of my mouth. When my coworkers talked about the chicks they banged from the bar, I couldn't say a word. When they talked rudely about queers, fags, dykes... I dare not say a word. Because it wouldn't have taken much digging to learn the truth about me.

I had to lie. I had to pretend to be something I am not. And in a combat zone? That's stressful. To worry about a partner, but not be able to talk to someone... that will drive you up the wall. Would any of you be willing to hide the fact that you are different? Would you be willing to listen, day in and out, to your comrades dissing on your faith, on your loves, on your very essence?

THANK the gods that this change is finally happening.
                              Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                              X