X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pagan and Wiccan Miltary religon selection codes

Hello all,
    (Really long time no post hehe)

I signed my Navy contract and took the oath on May 5th 2010.
    I report to bootcamp on the 14th of December.

When they write up your contract you select your religion.
    I said Wiccan and it was not in the popup window of their database. Since they use letter codes for each religion.
    The list that was on the screen were the main religions and I know Gardenarian Wiccan, Wiccan, Pagan and others are all in the database. The person doing the paper work said I can change it when I fill out my contract again when I leave for bootcamp.
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to find out the codes so I can just tell them and not have to sit around until they find it out.

We have the same problem here.

When I enlisted, I was listed as "RC", but when I became Asatru, the closest I could could get was "PAG"; it seems that, at least here, they're more than happy to put everyone (including Wiccans) under the same umbrella.

It's enough to make you choke.
    From below the dragon / Dark comes forth
    Nithhogg flying / From Nithafjoll
    The bodies of men / On wings he bears
    The serpent bright / But now must I sink

The Poetic Edda, Vol. 1
    Lays of the Gods - Voluspo

Comment

Originally posted by AsatruarMarc View Post
      We have the same problem here.

When I enlisted, I was listed as "RC", but when I became Asatru, the closest I could could get was "PAG"; it seems that, at least here, they're more than happy to put everyone (including Wiccans) under the same umbrella.

It's enough to make you choke.
      Once I am in I plan on getting the full list of codes and if I can putting them on the web to make it easier for people in general.
      Or at least the Wiccan/Pagan ones hehe.

But I know there are codes for Wiccan/Pagan groups int he database.

"Government entities do recognize Wicca as a religion. In 2001, the revised edition of the U.S. Air Force Personnel Data System (MilMod) included Dianic Wicca, Druidism, Gardnerian Wicca, Pagan, Seax Wicca, Shamanism, and Wicca. Not only that, the Military Chaplain's Handbook acknowledges Wicca within its pages and outlines procedures for interacting with Wiccan and Pagan soldiers."

http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/your...Mil_Pagans.htm
      (milmod is now MilArch I think)
      Last edited by Traz Heart; November 10th, 2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Oh I'd try getting use to Admin messing up your SRB, once you're in the fleet, get copies of every school, or whatever gets put in there. I can't remember about the codes, but it was on mine, and I still had "No Pref" on my 1st issued dogtags( or "I.D" tags as Marines say"), but had no problem getting them changed in SOI when we got another one to stick in our boots.
        Semper Fidelis

Comment

Oh I'd try getting use to Admin messing up your SRB, once you're in the fleet, get copies of every school, or whatever gets put in there. I can't remember about the codes, but it was on mine, and I still had "No Pref" on my 1st issued dogtags( or "I.D" tags as Marines say"), but had no problem getting them changed in Infantry School when we got another one to stick in our boots.
          Semper Fidelis

Comment

Ok so bootcamp over.
            during boot you go to processing building think in week 3 or so for Navy.
            when you sit down with the people at the computer they will make your religion the correct one. I will let you know mine says Wiccan but my dog tags say OTHER. This is a salty precaution for Wiccans are still purcicuted in certain countries. If i wantedi could go get a new set made in town with Wiccan on it but I am happy as it is.

Comment

It's actually a bit of a sticky spot, especially in the Navy. Though certain branches have started to recognize certain groups of Pagans, the DoD has a very finite list. I've been in the Navy for 3 years now and my tags still say "Other Relig", and the best part is they won't allow a Pagan group on board ship, unless you are within those few listed by the DoD.

If the DoD recognizes the religion then the next step, in order to even attempt to organize anything, is to be sponsored by a then regonized group state side.

In short, you can be a Pagan in the military, just don't expect to ever get through the red tape to do anything lol. You can't send out e-mails to ask other Pagans via a distro list (a large group of unspecified members) to get together, though the other religions can/do this quiet frequently, etc. Then they cram, religious tolerance training, down your throat once a year, meanwhile going against everything they train there lol.

Welcome to the N.A.V.Y! (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)
              http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/

My dreams and mind,
              Left on a page for the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tegh View Post
                It's actually a bit of a sticky spot, especially in the Navy. Though certain branches have started to recognize certain groups of Pagans, the DoD has a very finite list. I've been in the Navy for 3 years now and my tags still say "Other Relig", and the best part is they won't allow a Pagan group on board ship, unless you are within those few listed by the DoD.

If the DoD recognizes the religion then the next step, in order to even attempt to organize anything, is to be sponsored by a then regonized group state side.

In short, you can be a Pagan in the military, just don't expect to ever get through the red tape to do anything lol. You can't send out e-mails to ask other Pagans via a distro list (a large group of unspecified members) to get together, though the other religions can/do this quiet frequently, etc. Then they cram, religious tolerance training, down your throat once a year, meanwhile going against everything they train there lol.

Welcome to the N.A.V.Y! (Never Again Volunteer Yourself)
                That sounds like discriminatory practices to me. I woudl recommend informing your chain of command of what you want to do, along with informing them that you will be CCing your Congresspeople and Representatives. If necessary forward all correspondences to the Navy Chief of Staff and senior Noncommissioned officer, and various news organizations, to include the Navy Times, and other service related papers.

You can either take it and suck it up, or you can make a stink, maybe catch some heat, but eventually improve things for the next generation of enlisted for your branch.
                I still think it is all boiling down to social stigmatism, which is a horrible thing to see on a board that preaches tolerance to avoid persecution for being pagans. I guess incest is just the wrong kind of tolerance. -Charley Brown

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't sound right at all. I'm currently deployed to Iraq, and the head chaplain of our FOB is jumping through hoops to make sure the Pagans deployed here have everything we need spiritually. We wanted to do a ritual/circle for Imbolc, and he told us that the roof of the chapel would be the perfect place, and it was.

I've had Wiccan on my dogtags for 3 years now, and as far as I'm concerned, there haven't been any obstacles trying to have a group, or have it recognized. We even have a slide in the FOB's newsletter, dedicated to letting others know when/where we have our meetings, and putting out that we allow people of other faiths who are curious to come sit in.

I suppose it all depends on where you're at though!
                  Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Comment

Working...
                  X