Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fit mind in a fit body with a fit soul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fit mind in a fit body with a fit soul?

Army's "Spiritual Fitness" Test Comes Under Fire

An experimental, Army mental-health, fitness initiative designed by the same psychologist whose work heavily influenced the psychological aspects of the Bush administration's torture program is under fire by civil rights groups and hundreds of active-duty soldiers. They say it unconstitutionally requires enlistees to believe in God or a "higher power" in order to be deemed "spiritually fit" to serve in the Army.
    My Mind is the Master of My Reality. My Will is the Tool through which this Mastery is achieved.

Body, Mind, Spirit, explore these topics and more at The Threefold Path

Heh

ETA
    I am leaning on the side of total BS since I have filled out this assement twice, once while downrange and once since coming back. I score very very low on the spiritual portion. Nothing has come of it.
    Last edited by Aedh; January 25th, 2011, 07:34 PM.
    I still think it is all boiling down to social stigmatism, which is a horrible thing to see on a board that preaches tolerance to avoid persecution for being pagans. I guess incest is just the wrong kind of tolerance. -Charley Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Aedh View Post
      Heh

ETA
      I am leaning on the side of total BS since I have filled out this assement twice, once while downrange and once since coming back. I score very very low on the spiritual portion. Nothing has come of it.
      My husband is the same way.
      Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

I just looked back at my GAT results for the CSF and.....3/4 catagories are very low.
        I still think it is all boiling down to social stigmatism, which is a horrible thing to see on a board that preaches tolerance to avoid persecution for being pagans. I guess incest is just the wrong kind of tolerance. -Charley Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Aedh View Post
          Heh

ETA
          That may vary by unit. I've also heard stories about soldiers being unlawfully referred to chaplains, who then proceeded to proselytize them. I'll try to track down where I read that and provide a link.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
          The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all convictions, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Comment

I'm not for proselytizing to soldiers, or even have the requirement that they believe in anything.

That being said, I can sort of see where the Army is coming from with this.

According to the Greek model - the most exceptional people are balanced in mind, body, and spirit. Therefore to reach optimal performance in whatever one decides to undertake (in this case, military service), all aspects of the Self must be equally balanced.

Therefore, the intellectual and the spiritual must be in line with the physicality of a person in order for them to be at their best in terms of performance.

I agree with this and strive to achieve a balance between all three of these things - but at the same time, I believe the Army is going about it the wrong way.
            "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
            instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
            which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Blue View Post
              That may vary by unit. I've also heard stories about soldiers being unlawfully referred to chaplains, who then proceeded to proselytize them. I'll try to track down where I read that and provide a link.
              Chaplains are given training as mental health counselors too. Being referred to the chaplain is little different from being referred to mental/behavioral health. Now if the chaplains are preaching at the soldiers that is a fault with the chaplain not doing all of his job.

Comment

Let's put it this way: the only people who are likely to care enough to do anything about it ought to be smart enough to differentiate between a person who simply isn't interested in spirituality and someone who is undergoing a crisis of faith. The latter may benefit from being sent to a chaplain; the former are more likely to be simply pissed off about it. Now, a wise leader would ask a soldier whether or not they wanted to visit a chaplain. Not all leaders may be so wise. In fact, there are likely a few who would try (very stupidly so, imo) to send any and every soldier who scored low on the spirituality part of the survey for "spiritual aid". Those few would likely be doing so out of a genuine belief that soldiers without spirituality are troubled, or may soon begin to cause trouble due to a "lacking" in what they consider to be an integral part of life. It also entirely possible that those few leaders would simply be covering their own asses (so that IF the soldier began to exhibit problems, highers couldn't come down on the leader for 'dismissing' the issue at first glance).

That being said, I've taken the survey and also scored low on the spirituality portion; no one said jack to me about it, and I'd be highly surprised if they did in the future.
                ~ Cheers! ~

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy & good with ketchup.

Stop your ceaseless, senseless babble! If you will not dig deeper than your shallow perceptions, then I shall put this shovel to better use and open your mind the hard way. *waves shovel threateningly*

The worm in the apple is just extra protein: shut up and eat it.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X