My Views On Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Views On Christianity

Before you read just to warn, this is not and will not be a bashing thread. I am here just to explain what I feel about this religion and nothing more, so I would like to expect the same from all those who wish to share. Because I would like others to share what they feel in one thread, I think it would be interesting and much more simple to have it all in one thread... Now that that is said my views...

Pros: The religion itself is one that I can and do admire, teaching happiness and love. Teaching to be generous and kind to the less fortunate and not to judge. But what I really love about this religion is it's ability to bring people together. I have noticed that in Church, people are so unified and so happy because they are all so close to their god, and they can feel the divine prescence of the holy and the acceptance of those around them. It is being loved by everyone and the feeling is so momentous and beautiful that it just makes you feel so alive and at ease. I also enjoy the idea of Jesus, what he taught and what he still teaches today among those who actually read and research what he teaches. He was a beautiful man and taught happiness and brought people together under god. He made people happy and let them know that there was something more, and although I do not believe in the god he worshipped and spread. I love the fact that he made people happy and spread happiness. Being happy is one of the major factors of a good life. And I say whomever wishes to spread happiness. Do so whatever god you may teach it, just so long as you don't shove it down others throats. Which Jesus never did Christianity is a great religion that teaches happiness and I can not argue it's merit as a spreader.

Cons: Hypocrisy, this for me is a major reason I do not follow Christianity. For every great passage there seems to be one that condradicts it in some manner. I can not explain why either... It just seems that the bible was written by 12 old men basing a religion off their opinions of how the world should be, backed up with a few good words of god. Because if you see, quite a few times, the word of god is not what makes people angry. It is the words that seem as if they were opinion. This is coming from someone who has not read the bible mind you, but from what I have read. The words from God were fine, but many others seemed like opinions. And those opinions were the roots of their hipocrisy. If you were to talk out all opinion, then the bible would be a beautiful book.

Now I have been lectured many times about how I bash Christianity and it is the truth. I have not been very conscious to the fact that I may be offending some by making such a radical genelerazation about their faith, but I have not been bashing the religion. I have stateing opinion with anger. Which is also not right. So I took the time to look more deep and see the root of which my anger subsided and have found that it not be with the religion itself which I hold a grudge. But the people, who try to spread the word of god by completely disobeying every law he set forth to them... Forcing the bible into their lives with the fear of damnation, and at point of sword or burning at the stake. The people who waltz around feeling they have the divine wisdom and right to be the absolute ruler in religion, these are the people that I yell at. The people I call fools and ignorant for their irrational generelazations about everything besides what they believe. These people seriously need to be sat down and taught everything they are so against, to be educated about the things that they constantly damn to hell in the name of god. Who is to say that they have the right to speak any word of god? They are nothing but those hypocritical fools who give christianity a bad name. After constant research on the morals and ethics of christianity I have came to the conclusion that it is not the religion that I despise. But the people who pervert it to fit their own selfish means.

I have met plenty of wonderful Christians who are the most kind and loving people I would hope to meet.... The people who I would gladly follow into the gates of heaven. These are the people I call the "True Christians" The Christians that, although may not agree with what others worship, do not discount it's merit. Because they very well may be right, and they very well may be wrong. They accept that fact, and walk together hand in hand with those of different faiths, because in the end it does not matter what you worship. As long as you are good at heart and were happy in what you believed in. These are the Christians that follow the true word of God and Jesus in my opinion... And the people, if God were up there, would sit them next to him and embrace them with love and generousity.

I fear God has been Misshown in millions of ways as a horrible tyrant or a bigoted Diety who only permits those radical, ignorant pieces of crap like Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. God, in my eyes, is not like that at all. When I think of God, I think of a great tall man. With an enormous beard with a booming laugh that strikes happiness into everyone. Hee hee, with kind of a pot belly and a meat stick in one hand, and a great gigantic staff in another. Walking around spreading happiness wherever he goes Yes that is how I view God, not as a diety. But as a beautiful loving spirit who only wants people to be happy. Like the Buddha or Jesus

Although I do not follow the word of Christ or believe in a heaven and a hell. I do believe in a loving spirit who only wants to spread happiness to people. And nowadays, that beautiful message he wanted to spread has gone bad... And people have been horrible things in his name. Am I the only one who can see him screaming out in pain along with Gaea when we trash this beautiful world and do horrible things? It's sad really...

I feel that in the endm if you believed in God or Goddess, it wouldn't really matter because it is what is in your heart that counts. And if you are happy then you will advance to true happiness. But if you go on and only have hate... Then you bring yourself to your own hell. Just live a life of happiness I say and whatever you believe will come, will come. Just so long as you have faith

Myself as a pagan, does believe in a hell. But not the firey, brimstone that has come to pass with the opinions of a few men. But the hell that you create for yourself as you live and go through all your lives... If you create a hell then you live in it. But if you create a heaven, then you will be happy. It all comes down to us really and what we create for ourselves.

Now that you are here I must thank you for reading this incredibly confusing, incoherent rant. Goddess knows I was confused half the time. But I must thank you for taking the time to get this far I hope that I made some sense

As well I must also say I am open to any criticism as long as it is constructive... And I also must put up an apology if anyone finds this offensive. It was not at all my intention. Please bring it my attention if so. Again thank you for reading, and have a wonderful beautful day God and Goddess bless you on any path you choose

Your Friend,

The Queen of nightly Rainbows

Thanks and Kudos to Cos9 for making a beautiful banner.

Only a month left till graduation!

Re: My Views On Christianity

Originally posted by MistOfTheSea86
    So I took the time to look more deep and see the root of which my anger subsided and have found that it not be with the religion itself which I hold a grudge.
    I think this is the most important part of your post. The fault lies not in the religion, but in the misinterpretations and misuse of it by certain people. I have read the Bible and taken the time to consider its true meanings - ie. this whole "thou shalt not worship false Gods" - maybe it means don't worship money or greed, or don't worship other people, or even that God in the Bible is meant to represent All (meaning you cannot worship false Gods, since he is All Gods in one). I'm not going to into all the specifics; it would take too long.

Further, it should be recognized that the Bible was written by men, not God himself.

There are those of all denominations who pervert beliefs to their own means. Certainly we have all met our share of Pagans and Atheists, etc. who have done so. I can think of a few right off the bat who force the Rede or Golden Rule, etc. on others, while not holding themselves to the same standards. Even if they do hold themselves to those standards NO ONE has the right to expect everyone to live by their morals. Judging an entire religion by the actions of some who claim to practice it is ridiculous - it's like saying that the view people who use "being Pagan" as an excuse to sacrifice cats represent all Pagans. No.

Ok, that's my rambled thoughts.

I hope this thread can continue to be interesting and thought provoking instead of ignorant and against MW rules.

Comment

Re: Re: My Views On Christianity

Originally posted by Myst

I think this is the most important part of your post. The fault lies not in the religion, but in the misinterpretations and misuse of it by certain people. I have read the Bible and taken the time to consider its true meanings - ie. this whole "thou shalt not worship false Gods" - maybe it means don't worship money or greed, or don't worship other people, or even that God in the Bible is meant to represent All (meaning you cannot worship false Gods, since he is All Gods in one). I'm not going to into all the specifics; it would take too long.

Further, it should be recognized that the Bible was written by men, not God himself.

There are those of all denominations who pervert beliefs to their own means. Certainly we have all met our share of Pagans and Atheists, etc. who have done so. I can think of a few right off the bat who force the Rede or Golden Rule, etc. on others, while not holding themselves to the same standards. Even if they do hold themselves to those standards NO ONE has the right to expect everyone to live by their morals. Judging an entire religion by the actions of some who claim to practice it is ridiculous - it's like saying that the view people who use "being Pagan" as an excuse to sacrifice cats represent all Pagans. No.

Ok, that's my rambled thoughts.

I hope this thread can continue to be interesting and thought provoking instead of ignorant and against MW rules.
      Very well put Myst Exactly what I think as well Many times people try to spread what they feel as the gospel truth and it angers me, very much. Why can't people just be happy with who they are instead of trying to make everyone else like them??? *Sighs*

I think everyone can be and will be mature enough to share their views without breaking the rules. I have seen such great integrity on this board and I know that we can be it to good use
      Last edited by MistOfTheSea86; October 21st, 2001, 12:42 AM.

The Queen of nightly Rainbows

Thanks and Kudos to Cos9 for making a beautiful banner.

Only a month left till graduation!

Comment

WONDERFUL!!

I love the points you made, and I agree with them completely. It is not God, nor the religion. . . . but really, the people who have twisted it to do what they wish.

I remember a time when I was what I like to call "a rabid Christian." I was a bible-thumping little kid running around calling everything else "false" because that's what I had been taught at church. . . . I am SO embarrased at some of my ancient history reports from that time period. . . .

I still have a working relationship with god, so to speak. I acknowlage him as "one of the guys" . . . all the gods exist, to me. All equal. I still talk to him. I always had trouble beliveing that Jesus was a deity. . . but I definately think he was a great man. I mean, the things he was trying to share! wonderful! peace and love and tolerance and acceptance. . . . wonderful wonderful things

So kudos, to you, Mist.
        "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
        We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Comment

hehehe, i know the feelign puma hime! i grew up in northern ireland going to church four times a week, because i lived with a delightfully strict presbyterian grandma. i ve read the bible a few times, both as a christian and a celtic pagan, and i think its a really great book, which has a lot of good points to convey, just like the religion. and i can confess that when i read my bible each night in bed, as a child, i used to laugh at the 'thou shalt not worship false gods' commandment, for i took it literally and i thought 'yeah right' but now look at me! funny how life works out like that.
          i go to a christina skool (not out of choice) and ive encountered a fair bit of...discrimination...for want of a better word...due to my beliefs. which saddens me, because i really like christianity as a religion, and i still follow some of the commandments within my life, and they do tie in with my personal code of honour, such as not stealing, murdering, i try not to be jealous, and the like. but i also have adopted some points of other religions that ive tried out. for example, i agree with the buddhist view of not getting drunk - alcohol isnt necessarily a bad thing, but it can make you do things youll regret and hurt people, etc. kind of like how any religion can be if you misuse it.
          i dont shove my beliefs down peoples throats, but if they ask me about it, sure, i take time out and explain things to them. i do this because many people count me as a satanist, just because theyre miseducated. my parents still call me a satanist. in the census, im down as a druid. thats why i explain things. i believe that the main reason i get crap is because people are scared of the unknown, so i figure that if they know, they wont be scared = less crap. its only doing a small part, but there you go!
          and i agree, jesus was a beautiful man, and many of his teachings are something that this scared world is crying out for right now, but in the right spirit.
          i think ive gone off thread now, but there you go, its vented now! and im sorry if anyone takes offence to what ive written, it comes from the heart, and scream at me if you want!
          take care and brightest blessings,
          bans. :bubbles:
          ...but the bard songs will remain...tomorrow all will be known, but youre not alone, so dont be afraid in the dark and cold...but the bard songs will remain...they all will remain. in my thoughts and in my dreams, theyre always in my mind...

Comment

check out www.theonion.com. Kind of offending to Christians, but v. humorous. Liked the one where Jesus converetd to Islam.
            Cities drowned in olden time,
            Keep, they say, a magic chime.
            Rolling up from far below,
            Where the moon-led waters flow.

So within me, ocean deep,
            Lies a sunken world asleep.
            Lest its bells forget to ring,
            Memory! set the tide a-swing!

Shimmer, shimmer, shimmer sand
            Dance the hearth to heal the land.

Comment

Okay, so it wasn't exactly relevant, but hey! It was related in an indirect sort of way.

Comment

Originally posted by Puma Hime
                WONDERFUL!!

I still have a working relationship with god, so to speak. I acknowlage him as "one of the guys" . . . all the gods exist, to me. All equal. I still talk to him. I always had trouble beliveing that Jesus was a deity. . . but I definately think he was a great man. I mean, the things he was trying to share! wonderful! peace and love and tolerance and acceptance. . . . wonderful wonderful things

So kudos, to you, Mist.
                I've often wished that there was a religion known as "Jesusianity", where the focus would be on the incredible things that the man taught, instead of the claims that were made about him after his death.

I really don't think that Jesus would approve much of the religion that sprang up in his name. (hope this doesn't cross the "bashing line")
                When they knock on your front door,
                how are you going to come?
                With your hands upon your head,
                or on the trigger of your gun?
                The Clash "Guns of Brixton"

Comment

ummmmmm..which article were you referring to? I didn't find a subject heading that at all said anything about christians and muslims. Just a big article on Rush Limbaugh.
                  Lucas Michael, you are with me still. Not a day will go by that I won't remember. Lucas Michael Demascena con. 5/15, dec. 6/29. Wait for me.

Forum Guide- History Forum

Comment

Nope Aengus..I don't think what you said qualifies as Bashing. You are stating your opinion..and I'm sure you don't mean..."ALL" Christians. Just the ones who pervert the teachings of Jesus.
                    Lucas Michael, you are with me still. Not a day will go by that I won't remember. Lucas Michael Demascena con. 5/15, dec. 6/29. Wait for me.

Forum Guide- History Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Danustouch
                      ummmmmm..which article were you referring to? I didn't find a subject heading that at all said anything about christians and muslims. Just a big article on Rush Limbaugh.
                      Didn't find the article about converting Jesus either, but here's one about the Christian God and one of his commandments...

http://www.theonion.com/onion3734/go...dont_kill.html
                      <- mine is the sun!

"Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact."
                      -William James

Comment

Ah! That "God angrily clarifies Don't kill rule is very deep! Here, to find a whole list of articles, just click on the Religion section in News Archives. A veritable wealth of such informative and insightful pieces there. Yeah right.

Comment

Originally posted by Puma Hime
                          WONDERFUL!!

It is not God, nor the religion. . . . but really, the people who have twisted it to do what they wish.

That says it all in a nutshell for me. It's some of the followers whom cause me to not only dislike, but disbelieve in the Christian/Catholic religion.
                          You can choose to go through life victimized and bitter, but that is such a waste....The best thing you can do is turn your pain into your strength and try to be a positive force.

The Dumbest man on the planet said to the Smartest man on the planet after they had an arguement....

"You know something I will always have that you dont"
                          "HUH?"
                          "The ability to learn..."

Comment

Originally posted by Aengus McTeague

I've often wished that there was a religion known as "Jesusianity", where the focus would be on the incredible things that the man taught, instead of the claims that were made about him after his death.

I really don't think that Jesus would approve much of the religion that sprang up in his name. (hope this doesn't cross the "bashing line")
                            *applause*

Kudos my friend. I, too, admire and respect the teachings of Jesus. If only the teachings were the main focus and not everything else. I will say this, though. You say you wish there was a religion known as Jesusianity and I say there is one. Looks like it is inside your heart. Maybe you should look a bit deeper.
                            mol

sitegod/system_Administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma

Comment

I really dont see.......

most of what purports to be modern christianity as such, but rather PAULISM........ because so much of what was passed down came more from "paul" than from what is supposed to have been from jesus......
                              IF he ever existed.......... I think it would rock the christian world to realise that their real and walking god is more of mythic proportions than a living reality .... but this is my opinion......
                              Love and Light
                              Swannie
                              As Above So Below, As Within , So Without,

http://pub18.ezboard.com/fthecrossedswordsfrm4

http://homepages.about.com/swanheart/swansvisionaryart/index.html
                              Others are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person
                              unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X