• Show
Clear All

• Bethra
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 9-2-2
    replied
    Originally posted by cowdragon
    Okay, look at it this way. In a couple billion years, mother nater knows it's all going to end when our sun goes supernova. Everything she's worked so hard to create...including us will be destroyed here. Now, if she could create a super race of highly intelligent beings, teach them how to care for themselves and use plants, animals, bacteria around them, they may find a way to survive. Why would she punish us for doing what we're naturally disposed to do in the first place?
    Umm, I think you're missing the point... Nature is not going to be upset because everything she worked so hard for eventually ends. Her heart doesn't pour out infinite sadness. She doesn't punish the species for taking certain actions. In fact, punishment is strictly a human concept. She could care less about how intelligent or moronic we are. She doesn't care if we spread to the stars or die from our own stupidity. She's not punishing us. These diseases, hurricanes, tsunamis, meteor strikes, massive earthquakes are NOT punishment. It's just her natural course. Yeah, disasters are bad, but Nature is amoral... only humans (as far as this solar system is concerned) believe in good and bad and other moral concepts. Nature doesn't whip us with tornadoes when we're bad, and she certainly doesn't pat us on the back with rainbows and butterflies when we're good.

Nature just is. She isn't good. She isn't bad. She's not an arbitrary parent. She can be accepted as a God or Goddess, but she should not be warped into something she isn't. There's gonna be storms and death right alongside those bunnies and butterflies.

We are curious. We fiddle with everything. We are intelligent. We are wise. We are diverse. We love to exlore new fronteirs (whether knowledge or places).
    I think that while we may have some grain of intelligence, we have little wisdom. Yes, we have great philosophers, leaders, and pioneers of human thought... they are pinnacles of wisdom among humankind. But the rest of us are merely fledgelings, too wrapped up in playing with our collective balls rather than awakening or being aware of the greater worlds around us.

We were created this way on purpose. To continue her (or some gods) work. To destroy us now would lose all of the progress we've made. It would be very counter productive. Without us, earth won't stand a chance when the sun envelopes the first four planets in our solar system. With us, we may do nifty things like recreate the "arc" story and spread earths seed to a million other planets. Our mathemeticians may find ways to transport us to new universes all together. The possibilities are amazing!

The Cowdragon
    That's the most arrogant, yet entertaining, thing I've read all night.
    Your beliefs are valid, but I find that saying the whole world won't last without humanity is extremely laughable. The Earth is not supposed to last forever, and neither are we. Concerning continuing Her "work", she does that just fine on her own. She doesn't need us to hold her hand, especially when we, as a species, cannot get our heads out of our asses.

If we were destroyed, yeah, we'd lose all of our progress. The same thing happens to any species that dies, so it's common knowledge. Nature, the Universe, is indifferent to our destruction. Yes, the Universe has certain infinities of plans for humanity. If we get wiped out, will the Universe collapse or mourn our demise? No. The Universe will continue, and has many more ways to accomplish what It intends. The only sadness for the death of humanity will be from ourselves, knowing our demise is immanent (sp?).

As dark as this sounds, it's normal. If an unimportant species of bacteria were to die, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. Likewise, we don't even have the lifespan or significance of gnats compared to the Universe's plans and lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• cowdragon
    replied
    Okay, look at it this way. In a couple billion years, mother nater knows it's all going to end when our sun goes supernova. Everything she's worked so hard to create...including us will be destroyed here. Now, if she could create a super race of highly intelligent beings, teach them how to care for themselves and use plants, animals, bacteria around them, they may find a way to survive. Why would she punish us for doing what we're naturally disposed to do in the first place?

We are curious. We fiddle with everything. We are intelligent. We are wise. We are diverse. We love to exlore new fronteirs (whether knowledge or places).

We were created this way on purpose. To continue her (or some gods) work. To destroy us now would lose all of the progress we've made. It would be very counter productive. Without us, earth won't stand a chance when the sun envelopes the first four planets in our solar system. With us, we may do nifty things like recreate the "arc" story and spread earths seed to a million other planets. Our mathemeticians may find ways to transport us to new universes all together. The possibilities are amazing!

The Cowdragon

Leave a comment:

• Valnorran
    replied
    Revenge is strictly a human concept. Nature has no need for revenge. The system is such that if we do to much to it, we end up killing ourselves. The system then repairs itself and keeps on going. Nature is a system. It doesn't care what we think or how we feel. It certainly doesn't give a damn who's on its "side." So what if you are? Guess what - you still die. Your demise is a part of nature's funcion. So is change. Earth is anything but fragile. We think we know it but we don't. Its age is so vast as to be totally off our perception scale, its operation so complex as to leave even those who spend their lives studying it baffled. The time we've been here is but an instant compared to the time life in general has been here. Disasters far greater than even we can conceive of have hit earth not once but many times - and every time it has survived. To think it won't survive us is not only wrong, it's arrogant. The changes hat are occuring are simply the system humming along as usual.

Leave a comment:

• 9-2-2
    replied
    Originally posted by David19
    I think something may be changing. I'm not sure if Mother nature is out for revenge but she may be, after all i'm sure entities as powerful as her can still get pissed . I do think that it may be signaling a change and it is approaching the Age of Aquarius and the end of the Mayan calendar so perhaps something mystical/supernatural is happening. I think some of the gods may be making a comeback into this realm since pagan religions are growing so maybe an apocalypse is on the way.
    Heheh... when you said "apocalypse", I thought of the hell from Constantine, heheh...

I'm very curious as to waht 2011 or 2012 will bring... even if it's nothing, at least we keep on goin'. I don't think the world will end, I just think major changes may occur, like the veil breaking or something wild like that.

Leave a comment:

• David19
    replied
    I think something may be changing. I'm not sure if Mother nature is out for revenge but she may be, after all i'm sure entities as powerful as her can still get pissed . I do think that it may be signaling a change and it is approaching the Age of Aquarius and the end of the Mayan calendar so perhaps something mystical/supernatural is happening. I think some of the gods may be making a comeback into this realm since pagan religions are growing so maybe an apocalypse is on the way.

Leave a comment:

• 9-2-2
    replied
    Revenge is so short-sighted. You see, the Universe looks so much further through time than the immature "Let's get back at them!" b.s.

Leave a comment:

• Pagan Mantis
    replied
    Again, I must agree with most of what has been said here. I just don't like seeing all of the beautiful landscapes and habitats around here being destroyed so some money monger may get richer, while the diversity of our planet goes straight to hell. Along the lines of aliens blowing us up, that would be hilarious, but then, who would they have to keep the experiment going?

Leave a comment:

• dragonprincess
    replied
    I don't nessisarily think Mother Earth is out for revenge, we are her children after all, but like all good mothers, I think she's seeking to restore balance. We've gotten out fo hand and equilibrium must be restored. It is unfortunate for those suffering , and I hope every survivor has the strength and courage to carry on. But I do think it's time we got our heads out of our collective butts....(wait, that didn't sound right)

Leave a comment:

• 9-2-2
    replied
    Dammit, why won't the aliens come and blow us all to hell...

Leave a comment:

• cowdragon
    replied
    Mother Nature is simply a figure of speech. "She" is not a living entity in my opinion.

We are overdue for another ice age, weather patterns change. Man may have had something to do with supposed "global warming" OR it's just happening to get warmer for a few thousand years.

Other than being an interesting footnote to me, it doesn't matter. Rats, cockroaches, and man will still be here. Those three species are the most adaptable on the planet and live in every environment.

The only reason to revere nature is for our own comfort and survival. Respect nature because the planet smells nicer...crude, but true.

The Cowdragon

Leave a comment:

• 9-2-2
    replied
    Mother Nature could care less about who's on her "side". If masses of people die from her raging, then masses of people die - regardless of which ones of those people were on her "side".

Leave a comment:

• atropa
    replied
    Makes me think of TOOL. Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to swim.....

Leave a comment:

• kissesree
    replied
    I here tell its the comming of the age of the fey

Leave a comment:

• Twig
    replied
    Has Had Enough? Now semantics ain't a strong point with me but she's gonna keep getting more and more POed and I don't think man has the ability to stop her.

Yeah it's only going to get worse and I'm sorry but 2 words come to mind.

Justified Retribution!!! You GO mom! Oh and mankind? Better get your head out of ...ahem, the sand while you still can.

Peace
    Last edited by Twig; October 13th, 2005, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X