Do you believe in "sin"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you believe in "sin"?

Do you belive in the concept of "sin." And, if so, are there differrent types or levels of this?

I used to fully believe in it, but now I feel more and more it doesn't exist so much as we just mess up.

natural born sinner

no i do not believe in sin at all
    almost everthing is classed as a sin
    to people who shall remain nameless
    Kal
    Oak Knower
    The Chosen One

Opinion's are like asshole's...everybody has one
    Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides
    By the inequities of the selfish and the tyrany of evil men
    Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill
    Shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness
    For he is truly his brothers keeper
    And the finder of lost children
    And i will strike down upon thee
    With great vengence and furious anger
    Those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers
    And you will know my name is the lord

WHEN I LAY MY VENGENCE UPON THEE

Ezechiel 25:17

Comment

sin means a lot.... I interpret sin as a fault, rather than things morally wrong, and we all have faults, we are human, if we didn't we'd all be gods ourselves eh?..

I believe there are things that are morally wrong though... but I suppose that's different than the concept of sin

Comment

Upon going to church with my family as a gesture of good will for Christmas, I found myself asking questions about the christian belief structure in general. Evil comes from man, if you want to call the act of evil 'sin', then I guess it's ok. The only problem is that evil is one of the most subjective terms in the world... making sin a loose and vague term.

As for the concept of sin that we are born as sinners because of Adam and Eve, no, I guess I don't believe in sin. I guess you could say I now believe in the dark and light.
        -Fire's Shadow
        Formerly known as Fire Sage

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
        -- Voltaire

Why should gays be afforded the rights of marriage? Click here for reasons why.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyCelt
          Do you belive in the concept of "sin." And, if so, are there differrent types or levels of this?

I used to fully believe in it, but now I feel more and more it doesn't exist so much as we just mess up.
          Imho,I think a better question is:
          what is sin,and does it exist?

To me,a sin is me going against my true nature.
          Unless it's self defense,harming another human being(I'm peaceful,but I'm not a pacifist.Like Malcom X said,"by any means necessary") is a sin.
          To not enjoy life,that is a sin to me.

To many discordians taking things way to seriously is a sin.
          To us,mindless blind conformity is a sin.
          Not thinking for yourself may be the biggest sin a discordian can commit
          Believing what we read is also a sin.
          Oh,and eating hotdog buns on friday.BIG NO NO!

Comment

what is sin? who says that what you are doing is a sin ?
            who made the rules ,are there any rules?
            i don't believe in different kinds of sins ,you either commit one or you don't .
            but does it even excist ?
            something can be a sin to you but not be classified as a sin to me.
            there is no black and white answer for me but is there ever ????

Comment

If we're talking about sin as an abstract kind of idea, like 'evil', as soemthing that bad forces tempt us with, then no, I don't believe in it. I think the idea that it's something that exists outside our everyday reality is yet again something that the bible has handed down,that we've been educated to accept without question.

i think it's more like a scale, at one end is good, at the other is bad (i prefer not to use 'evil' because that has all sorts of connotations too.) Sin can be wherever along that scale the individual thinks it might be, like evil really, what one person thinks of as sin, another person might think of as just something maybe a bit naughty but not really sinful. It's all subjective.

Just ask Aleister Crowley.
              ~ Light up, light up, ~
              ~ As if you have a choice ~
              ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
              ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

Comment

Well, I was under the impression that a sin was supposed to be an offense against God. But really, I don't think Jehovah cares one whit about what I do or do not do. I don't believe in sin because I think it's too difficult to live your life (and be happy) based on approval or disapproval of a third party, because it is always conditional. Particularly with a third party who doesn't exactly communicate clearly on a regular basis. And it seems like those who believe in sin, when they start acting based on how their own personal approval, then they get hit with guilt for thinking of themselves.

I just can't think in that paradigm.
                Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LostSheep
                  It's all subjective.

Just ask Aleister Crowley.
                  *wicked grin* hehehe Exactly. ^_^
                  Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

sigpic

Comment

I think along the lines of "sin" being an imperfection that seperates us from the Divine, which I guess really does include everything we do. I don't consider sin so much to be a moral wrong, either. Are there things morally wrong? Yep, but you can't lump any of those things into one word. One man's murder is another man's protecting of his friends and family from getting killed or harmed. It's all in perspective whether or not an action is morally wrong, and then there is always the POV of the people involved somehow in the action and then there's the truth of what all really happened, and of couse noone wants to ever admit they ever did anything morally wrong because there is always justification.
                    http://avalonrisen.mithrilstar.org/ For your Pagan/Druid/Wiccan shopping needs. Proceeds help in efforts to prevent overlogging of the sacred Costal Redwood

Dryad's Realm: a vision for a wonderful alternative camping experience Woo hoo! The link is working now! Check it out!

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein

One cannot learn the truth when one has already decided what the truth is

Comment

It's all shades of gray. I can't sin because I tie the concept of sin in with christianity exclusively and I'm no Christian. But I do understand the concept of acting inappropriately and wrong.
                      Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
                      Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Verthaine
                        Imho,I think a better question is:
                        what is sin,and does it exist?

To me,a sin is me going against my true nature.
                        Unless it's self defense,harming another human being(I'm peaceful,but I'm not a pacifist.Like Malcom X said,"by any means necessary") is a sin.
                        To not enjoy life,that is a sin to me.

To many discordians taking things way to seriously is a sin.
                        To us,mindless blind conformity is a sin.
                        Not thinking for yourself may be the biggest sin a discordian can commit
                        Believing what we read is also a sin.
                        Oh,and eating hotdog buns on friday.BIG NO NO!
                        Aha, *loves*... You're beautiful! No, no hot dogs! :D

I have been told that the word 'sin' from the bible is an ancient term derrived from marksmen. Those guys who shoot arrows, you know...
                        And a 'sin' was when they 'missed their mark'.

So in essence, I completely agree with Vincent above me. A sin is when you go against yourself. We live life through our trial and errors, and what we end up with is what we've found Godly and acceptable. So when we define a moral within ourselves, and go against it. We've sinned.

So I try to be nice to myself when considering my faults, we are unperfect. And it is trial and error. And God is all love. But we must strive, for sure.
                        That was Zen; This is Tao.
                        --My Poet'artry -- My Space--

Recent Attractions:
                        Kundalini - excersize
                        Candle Altar

“I think self-awareness is probably the most important thing towards being a champion.”
                        “Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody”
                        “Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.”

------------------------------------------
                        Poetry and Literature Forum Guide
                        ----------------------------------------------------

Comment

:cheers: Only Christians "sin", Pagans party.

Comment

Sin...its just an opinion by people!
                            I went to catholic school and was amazed on how they, the leaders of the church, could change what is a sin or not a sin! What was a sin years ago was changed and not a sin anymore!!

Experiencing that type of hype as a kid, helped me to realize that sin is just a human opinion. Not any different than the opinions of good and bad.
                            :boing:

Comment

"Sin" is a moralistic phrase used to justify and promote an ethical code within a religious subject, i.e. the ten commandments, etc..
                              Its usage denotes a limitation on human growth, where thinking "outside of the square" is frowned upon and used as a defense against individual growth.
                              Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
                              Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X