No announcement yet.

Witch of Endor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day, if we aren't vigilant, people will kill in the name of Silver RavenWolf and Isreal Regardie

Thats the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm
      Thats the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thank You.
      I know it sounds funny, but it would have sounded equaly funny to kill in the name of paul or Jesus, how many people died senselessly in the crusades for their names and their originaly beneviolent and thought inspirieng teachings. The same things can happen to our (pagan) teachings.
      I have nothing to say in this 'bottom of the post' thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by chrestomancie
        My Physics teacher is currently reading the greek (greek is supposed to be the original language that the OT was written while NT was written in Hebrew)
        Ummmm, he might want to check his facts. King Ptolemy of Egypt, who invaded as a general of Alexander the Great, convened a gathering of Hebrew religious teachers and required them to translate the Torah into Greek in order to know what all the squabbling was about and be able to rule over them justly.
        "...but fruit flies like a banana!"
        Biggest Brightest Blessings!!!

I have no common sense, and I believe that each person not only has their own individual path to wherever they are going, but they have subconsciously used magick to 'think themselves' to wherever they are in the Infinite World of God Herself.

Use that grain of salt in digesting the above post.

Furthermore, there may be an absolute truth, but I believe that no mortal can encompass it. We are all blind-men dealing with the Elephant. My investigations of the rope (tail) may be of no help whatsoever in your investigations of the spear (tusk), and vice versa.

But it's fun to compare, anyway!

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by AlAskendir
          Originally Posted by chrestomancie
          My Physics teacher is currently reading the greek (greek is supposed to be the original language that the OT was written while NT was written in Hebrew) Ummmm, he might want to check his facts. King Ptolemy of Egypt, who invaded as a general of Alexander the Great, convened a gathering of Hebrew religious teachers and required them to translate the Torah into Greek in order to know what all the squabbling was about and be able to rule over them justly.
          Yeah, that *is* backward. The Hebrew Bible is just that, Hebrew. At least originally. It was indeed translated into Greek early on, which is why it is also known as the Pentateuch (at least the first five books)... But the New Testament was, I think, all koine Greek when it was written. That was the lingua franca of the time. There are some assorted Hebrew and Aramaic terms and phrases in there, but I was pretty sure that the NT was mostly Greek, originally. Your professor, chrestomancie, has just gotten them switched. Probably just a slip. ^_^

Tashi delek!
          Dawa Lhamo
          Before you accuse someone of LYING, please read this first.

sigpic

Comment

LordHelmet wrote:

I'm quite certian that there could very well be a Kabalistic or wiccan inqusition. It starts when people don't think for themselves.
            I agree. Even a peaceful religion that honors the spirits in every rock and tree can be corrupted and used to control people, even to the point of making suicide bombers. Don't believe me? Just read about Shinto in Japan in the 1940s.

Azzy wrote:

So many are quick to speak against the bible,while never saying anything about any other holy book being false,because of a natural emnity against God,the God of the bible.
            Be careful who you address with that. No book should be just swallowed hook line and sinker, and all books and all ideas should be critically examined. You are correct about some Pagans. However, many recognize their myths as myths. I certainly do, I don't see the myth of persephone as any more real than the myth of a god sacrificing himself to himself in order to change a rule he made himself. Remember, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan - I don't think any of those myths, either Christian or Pagan, are literally true.

The bible is true,because God is true.
            You may be hurting your idea of God by tying him to the Bible. The God of the Bible tortures innocent babies, slaughters innocent people by the thousands, condemns religious tolerance, requires obedience even if it hurts one's family, arranges for the unending torture of millions of people, and has people give him baskets of severed baby heads. Is all that really something you want to worship?

Besides, there is no need to take the Bible as true, even if you are Christian or Jew. The historical inaccuracy and contradictions of the Bible are well known, and Christian and Jewish scholars have long recognized that the Bible is not reliable.

So your Christian faith is safe from the danger of thinking that the every word of the Bible is true. That path leads to fundamentalism.

Take care-
            Last edited by equinox2; January 4th, 2006, 02:30 PM.
            -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by equinox2
              Be careful who you address with that. No book should be just swallowed hook line and sinker, and all books and all ideas should be critically examined. You are correct about some Peoples. However, many recognize their myths as myths. I certainly do, I don't see the myth of persephone as any more real than the myth of a god sacrificing himself to himself in order to change a rule he made himself. Remember, I'm a Naturalistic People - I don't think any of those myths, either Christian or People, are literally true.

You may be hurting your idea of God by tying him to the Bible. The God of the Bible tortures innocent babies, slaughters innocent people by the thousands, condemns religious tolerance, requires obedience even if it hurts one's family, arranges for the unending torture of millions of people, and has people give him baskets of severed baby heads. Is all that really something you want to worship?

Besides, there is no need to take the Bible as true, even if you are Christian or Jew. The historical inaccuracy and contradictions of the Bible are well known, and Christian and Jewish scholars have long recognized that the Bible is not reliable.

So your Christian faith is safe from the danger of thinking that the every word of the Bible is true. That path leads to fundamentalism.

Take care-
              Exactly. I agree with everything you said. If the Bible was meant to be literally, historically factual, then there'd be no need for legions of theologians over the years, there'd be no need for clergy... You can only interpret facts so much, but stories and metaphors you can interpret ad infinitum.

Simply put, I take the Bible the same way that I take all other myths and legends from every religion that I've read. They are all true in the sense that they are expressing truths about the human condition, they are all true in that they are meaningful to those who seek meaning from them. Metaphor is just part and parcel of having a religion. And I can be, and often am, critical of texts, even then. I want to know what they're expressing, what the context was, etc. And, once someone claims universality, they're not simply saying that the text has meaning for them, they're saying that the text has meaning for me...

I apply this same kind of viewpoint to all religious texts, including my own. Especially my own.

Tashi delek!
              Dawa Lhamo

sigpic

Comment

There's a reason why the Fifth Commandment of the Pentabarf in our most wholey holy holey the Principia Discordia states:

A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing what he reads"

and that is to prevent discordians from commiting all types of atrocities in the name of our irreligion.

It seems to me that way to many fundamentalist christians worship the Bible instead of Jesus.
                Doesn't the bible warn against worshopping "graven images"(before it was revised to say,"false idols").
                A "graven image" doesn't have to be a statue or a picture.It can mean anything manmade that is worshipped instead of God,including the printed word.
                The Bible can be considered a "graven image".

And it is recommended by the Discordian Non-prophets that the Principia Discordia and all Discordian Holy Books be used as toilet paper.(I just wish they use a softer type of paper,ouch!!!).

I am proud to say that in the entire history of Eris worshipping,not one single atrocity was ever committed in HER NAME that can be proven in a court of law.(We have damn good lawyers.)

We discordians do not have dogmas,we have catmas.
                Last edited by Vincent Verthaine; January 4th, 2006, 04:11 PM.

Comment

discordian???

What the hell is a disc... oh wait I found it on wikkipedia.
                  I have nothing to say in this 'bottom of the post' thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawa Lhamo
                    I wrote a paper for a class once about instances of sorcery and witchcraft in the Hebrew Bible. I'll have to look and see if I still have it when I get home.
                    And here is a link if you're interested in reading it. ^_^

Tashi delek!
                    Dawa Lhamo

sigpic

Comment

Ignore - posted to wrong thread.
                      Last edited by equinox2; January 6th, 2006, 08:04 AM.
                      -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawa Lhamo
                        . Your professor, chrestomancie, has just gotten them switched. Probably just a slip. ^_^

Tashi delek!
                        Dawa Lhamo
                        Nope - that'd be me. I meant them the other way around!!

Comment

Working...
                        X