X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calif. School Sued Over Evolution Class

Calif. School Sued Over Evolution Class
    AP - Tue Jan 10, 11:05 PM ET
    FRESNO, Calif. - A rural high school teaching a religion-based alternative to evolution was sued Tuesday by a group of parents who said the class should be stopped because it violates the U.S. Constitution. Frazier Mountain High in Lebec violated the separation of church and state while attempting to legitimize the theory of "intelligent design" by introducing it as a philosophy class, according to the federal lawsuit filed by parents of 13 students. The teacher is also a minister's wife

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060111/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    "Ne invoces expellere non possis"
    (Do not call up what you cannot put down)

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than be loved for who you're not" - Van Zant

I looked into this. In general, I’m OK with teaching a bunch of different creation myths in a philosophy class – for instance, a class on “comparative creation myths” could have the Hindu creation, the Hopi creation, Biblical creation, Mayan creation, Babylonian creation, etc.

The problem with this class, if you look at the syllabus and the content, is that it is just an ongoing rant of creationist literature and videos, all of which spend most of their time attacking science instead of telling the creation story. Worst of all, nearly all of the class is on Biblical creation, with a touch of evolution at the end, and no mention of all the other creation stories. Even a half dozen, as I mentioned above, would be only scratching the surface.

So I say this class is illegal. I’m all for a real philosophy based, comparative myth class, but not for week after week of attacks on science while using the guise of a philosophy class to do so. It’s no coincidence that this is being done by some people associated with the Assemblies of God Christian church.

Sigh
    -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Comment

I think it should be taught, but exclusively as a philosophy subject. Thats where I learnt about it, and had no problem with it there, despite being an evolutionist. Its the right place for it, after all. There the objections made by people like David Hume and Athony Flew can also be raised.

Comment

They do realize that it is 2006 and not 1306 right?
        "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
        -Me

(\_/)
        (O.o)
        (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Comment

Evolution should never have been aloud to be taught in school, because this just gives the Christians an exscuse to try to get there 2 cents worth in. Eliminat both evolution & creationisim. snowy owl over & out.

Comment

omar wrote:
            Evolution should never have been aloud to be taught in school, because this just gives the Christians an exscuse to try to get there 2 cents worth in. Eliminat both
            Hey good idea. Oh, we'll have to get rid of geology too, since geologic time clearly contradicts genesis 1. Hmm. Ancient history goes too, since that predates the flood. Biology is gone, since modern biology largely is the study of evolution (yes, I teach biology at the University level - it would be like teaching medicine without any mention of germ theory being allowed). Language studies - gone, languages are all from noah's son's, according to gen 10:31 (or - oops, languages are from the tower of babel in gen chap 11). either way - they didn't evolve from latin, etc. Astronomy - gone, no big bang or 10 million year starlight allowed. Modern and historic literature? - nope, too much stuff to censor like Mark Twain (a flaming infidel) , the catcher in the rye, etc. History - forget it, no learning about the 17th and 18th Century Enlightenment when people (such as Thomas Jefferson and other founding fathers) questioned Christianity & the Bible. Health class? Do I even have to go there? And on and on it goes. What is left? well, just picture the class of 2023:

"OK class, now get out you Bibles. It is the only textbook you need, since it is perfect and complete, written by God. All the other books are unneeded, indeed, those from other religions have been burned (see Acts 19:19). Welcome to public school, may our Lord and savior be with you, you are purchased with his blood....."
            -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe. - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

(webpage temporarily down) my webpage:

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan spiritually at home in Unitarian Universalism.

Talk with us! New Naturalistic Pagan Yahoo Group

Equinox/Solstice Times . . rise/set and phase dataDaily Devotion for Naturalistic Pagans (Click Here.......... or Here) :fpraiseyo

P. S. thanks so much for all the people who have given me karma. With a very slow connection, I simply don't have time to give out nearly as much as I'd like.

Comment

Working...
            X