• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenwolf
    replied
    BRILLIANT!!!! :flowers:

:fpraiseyo

That was the most brilliant response to my question that I have yet seen! I hadn't even thought of that! Thank you very much!

Okay so follow this line of thought guys (well anyone who is reading this and cares to respond...)

Religion would it then be like it used to be to our ancestors do you think? Mostly tribal? With their stories and traditions passed down by oral tradition?

What do you think the stories would be like what would they revolve around?

Leave a comment:

• RocknRoll_Goddess85
    replied
    I am going to take a shot at this. Ok the year is 3000, our world is now recovering from its down-the-crapper it took so many years ago from geological happenstance. Everything stored and saved by our ancestors computers was lost and because our computers are gone nothing is up and running, and as you said in an effort to stay warm most all books were used as a fire source. I am even going to stretch this and say that do to the gas wars only the countries with the rights to oil were the ones to rise to dominance. But anyways our means of fast communication and travel have been limited down to the very few. I believe that just because of the sheer number of churches it will not be erradicated full at this time unless the religions from the now dominate countries (the ones with all the oil) decides that its convert to their ways or its death(sound familiar?) If all our ability to get ahold of oil runs out we are going to lose our place as number 1 big dog and I can see a war being started and World War 3 will be devestating to our race as well as any living thing.

Now, due to all those nuclear bombs going off our species numbers has been diminished by the billions, some countries were destroyed and now the world is trying to pick itself back up out of the ashes of our old world. So much knowledge lost and lets say that we are even further into the future now, after the world was torn apart in 3000. We are at this time storing alot of historical stuff underground, yet you have to think that whatever is keeping all this stuff perserved isn't going to be working if we lose our ability to electrically keep it at the right temps. So many things are going to be dust after a few millenia. It is confusing trying to figure out who in the end of all this is going to be the dominate super power and how the world is going to actually work, but say it is a long time after all this and the countries that were able to come out on top are now finally able to start digging up the lost knowledge of their ancients(us).

They start digging and find the Vatican (it was bombed sometime during world war 3 by the ones who call them infidels.) It had been bombed to bits and only pieces of artwork and deep down in vaults a few remaning documents are recovered amid the dust of all the others. A few other temples are uncovered as well. Religion at this time doesn't look much like it does now. There are of course those whose oral traditions where passed down with fragmented pieces of written word. So it will be to them what the Egyptian or Sumerian religions are like to us, fragmented. Well, this is also saying that in a few thousand years our language has changed and no one is able to read or speak the language fluently. This could be true if a non-English speaking country takes over power. Languages change all the time and we've had to come up with ways to translate a few nowadays.

So my thought that the dominate religion of the future is going to be who is actually the dominate culture at that time. It could be any one of them. But this is a huge stretch I am taking, a whole lot of stuff is going to have to happen for us to lose all our information. IT is very possible with a combination of global catastrophe and nuclear war. It's very scary to think all that we know (which is a Lot) could be lost in the future. It's also going to take a long time for all of the collective memories to be lost as well. I feel that if we lost the ability to print out our knowledge we would take up oral traditions agian. And that has the ability of lasting for a long time. Look at the tribes that have kept it up over the centuries, they still have their cultures history. So to me this might be a good bet on some knowledge sticking.

Really this might not make much sense or even fall into what you where asking, but this is what I thought up anyways.

Danielle

Leave a comment:

• Greenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Sundragon View Post
    Dear gods NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blasphemy! Apostate! Heretic!

For daring to invoke the evil of Twilight your death will be excruciating and will begin with a recitation of all of the Twilight novels by a choir or tween girls all wearing Team Jacob and Team Edward tee-shirts...and that is just the beginning of your torments.

I'll get back to you on the rest.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon

Bring it on!! You can't scare me I have teenagers! And a Twilight fan to boot!

The rest of you guys are really scarily deep inside the box here. Sundragon seems to be the only one who gets what I am saying here. The bible was never (in my opinion) supposed to be the absolute concrete word of God. It was originally a bunch of stories and letters of people and tribes and their relationship with their diety and their search for truth. the bible becoming the absolute word of God was a POLITICAL move. Christians today still either buy the jargon or recognise it for what it is and what it was meant to be. A baptist pastor once told me the bilbe was a collection of stories not necessarily fact but someone else's stories of people and how they related to their God.

As for Christians killing Hypatia because she was a strong minded intelligent educated woman... I am not suprised anyone familiar with the story of Boudiccae? This war had nothing to do with Christianity or anything else it was crooked politics and the Romans being outraged at her demanding what was due to her by Celtic law. My point is people have been killing people out of fear, jealousy and power plays since man was still the common ancestor of the monkeys. Hell we still do it today we justfy wars and brutalities as a society that would make the old pagan war gods proud

Please guys work with me here! Just imagine what things could be like in the future if what we have here and now is erased by thousands of years. Only a few scraps of written spirituality are saved some from this site some from others some books not necessarily all pagan either. This is not a strictly pagan site for starters. We have people here who walk the Abrahamic paths and atheists as well.

What do you think it could be like?

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    Originally posted by odubhain View Post
    Don't mind me because I'm in a bad mood having finally watched "Agora" where the Pagan philosopher Hypatia get killed by Christians in 4th century Alexandria (just because she was a woman who had her own mind and power).

Searles O'Dubhain
    That movie had a profound impact on me. I was angry/annoyed for the rest of the day after having seen that movie and thought about it frequently for a few days afterward. So much has been lost to ignorance, fear and intolerance.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon

Leave a comment:

• odubhain
    replied
    Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
    The idea of some sort of Pagan Bible is patently offensive to me and not at all something I would be interested in.

Why do Pagans reject Christianity and yet want to continue to act like Christians?

It's something I will never understand.
    I guess it's because cattle herders still love their cattle even when someone steals them and places a changed brand on them. Some folks even go out on cattle raids to get them back. Frake and Gundy are my Brehons.

Don't mind me because I'm in a bad mood having finally watched "Agora" where the Pagan philosopher Hypatia get killed by Christians in 4th century Alexandria (just because she was a woman who had her own mind and power).

Searles O'Dubhain

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
    The idea of some sort of Pagan Bible is patently offensive to me and not at all something I would be interested in.

Why do Pagans reject Christianity and yet want to continue to act like Christians?

Would you like some water with that?

Well besides the fact that we're messing around right now, I can understand the desire to compile valuable insights on the part of members of any community. It isn't the fact that Christianty has a big book of answers that turned me off of Christianity, its the theology. I couldn't agree with the idea of vicarious, substitutionary atonement for sins. Karma is way more sensible.

I think that the term Bible in this case would simply have the literal meaning of 'book' as opposed to the commonly understood definition as 'book of revealed truth.'

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon
    Last edited by Sundragon; February 1st, 2011, 12:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenwolf View Post
    (Don't worry we'll brainwash Sundragon, or keep him locked in a closet or something! :toofless: Can't let him take over! We'll hijack his religion and water it down and serve it up with a hefty dose of ....Jedi/Twilight/Tolkien hybridization! Mwaa haa haa haa haa! )
    Dear gods NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blasphemy! Apostate! Heretic!

For daring to invoke the evil of Twilight your death will be excruciating and will begin with a recitation of all of the Twilight novels by a choir or tween girls all wearing Team Jacob and Team Edward tee-shirts...and that is just the beginning of your torments.

I'll get back to you on the rest.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon
    Last edited by Sundragon; February 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Twinkle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Xentor View Post
    I've been here 8 years, posted a lot, and read just about everything that was posted by others.

These forums contain a lot of dribble and a small amount of serious discussion. There's lots of stuff that has little bearing on spirituality, morality, or ethics. There's a lot of conflicting views and fights that will not resolve because the participants refuse to budge. No single point of view, no single mode of ethics.

Pray tell, how would one set about to assemble all that into a bible?
    Are you joking?

With all the discussions that lead nowhere, internal contradictions, conflicts, paradoxical assertions, mind twisting mental gymnastics, and wisdom floating around here are Mysticwicks we have exactly what it takes to make a Bible. I think we'd have a bigger problem if it actually made consistant sense...that's not like any Bible I've read.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon

Leave a comment:

• Greenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Xentor View Post
    I've been here 8 years, posted a lot, and read just about everything that was posted by others.

These forums contain a lot of dribble and a small amount of serious discussion. There's lots of stuff that has little bearing on spirituality, morality, or ethics. There's a lot of conflicting views and fights that will not resolve because the participants refuse to budge. No single point of view, no single mode of ethics.

How much do you suppose actually really needs to be saved? It wouldn't be MW alone. It would be a few meaningful transcripts or conversations that are saved like the Epistles of Paul or Timothy everything else is a bit of this a bit of that and a crap load of interpretation or mis-interpretation. Maybe between MW, IW,SOTR, AAW and a few others with similair goals a few people here and there print off things or they swipe ideas from here or there and email them to this friend or that friend who prints them off so they can look at them every day there are all manner of ways the general point could happen.

Then there are the few books people can get their hands on or are too precious (to said individuals) to burn. Years blend into decades into centuries and millenium then what happens?

(Don't worry we'll brainwash Sundragon, or keep him locked in a closet or something! :toofless: Can't let him take over! We'll hijack his religion and water it down and serve it up with a hefty dose of ....Jedi/Twilight/Tolkien hybridization! Mwaa haa haa haa haa! )

Ahem! Scuze me, sorry my evil twin took over for a moment! :bigredgri

Anyway this is the scenario. Things happen, shit hit the fan we are slammed back into the dark ages at best. Many generations later bits and pieces of old literature on spirituality and religion survive some of it may be from here or other online groups. How does it look to you?

Leave a comment:

• Xentor
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Greenwolf View Post
    Hey Sundragon..... Got any plans for dinner? I was thinking of a bonfire and bbq! We'll start you out on that path with martyrdom...
    That would serve my purposes grandly.

After my martyrdom I would reincarnate into the body of a newborn baby who my devotees would notice still contained my divine essense. And like the Dalai Lama I would keep being reborn as head of my religion.

I welcome the flames for like a pheonix I will be reborn.

)o( Blessed Be,

Sundragon

Leave a comment:

• Greenwolf
    replied
    Hey Sundragon..... Got any plans for dinner? I was thinking of a bonfire and bbq! We'll start you out on that path with martyrdom...

Leave a comment:

• Sundragon
    replied
    It is fully my intention to ensorcel you all with my words until a faith forms around my august personage and teachings. It'll start out small but it will grow into an overwhelming global presence eclipsing all other faiths.

:hailmol:

All hail HelioDraconis
    (Sundragon to the uninitiated)

In my case it is true that the messenger is indeed greater than the message.

Leave a comment:

• Greenwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    In my opinion anything that is edited to leave out the "bad" and only leave in the "good" is not a good idea.
    If you hide dissent, conflicting opinions and things of a similar nature, you've missed the point.
    You misunderstand me. I am not talking about a person covertly cutting and pasting and making a "bible" I mean they print off a few conversations or points or notes that really meant something to them. Things happen and things get passed down.

Originally posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    The thought of someone taking MW conversations, cutting out what they consider to be "bad" and leaving in what they consider to be "good", and that edition surviving to later days makes me nauseous.
    Another kind of "bible" is the last thing this world needs. More dogma that paints people out as devils or bad people and elevating others to the sky? Not a good idea. Though maybe something that isn't all too unfamiliar to this community.
    Maybe the original letters were never supposed to be cut up and re-arranged and no one was supposed to be demonized. What I think the original Epistals were were letters from friends to friends in other places lending comfort, support and advice. Not too different than what goes on here really. People being people the good, the bad and the ugly. censorship didn't come in until several centuries later because a Pope decided for political reasons there had to be a set standard. Again people being people.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X