Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Thousands Dead"... again.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Thousands Dead"... again.

    How many times do we turn on the computer or open the paper and read that?

    This week, it was 10s of thousands... and I got to thinking, as I'm also writing a novel that takes place during the Vietnam Era and isstrongly influenced by WWII, how is it as a species.. or even us, as a religious community, that we can read that.. day in, day out, from Holocaust to geonocide and yet it does not touch us in any real way.

    Everyday, we, being basically good people kiss our partners and kids and dogs and live our safe little lives.. and thousands die, over the next hill, and we just let it go on and on?

    How can we? (I'm asking this as much to myself as you all) How can we call ourselves moral human beings and do nothing? Not to go all Jesus on you all... but, is loving those around us enough to be truely good people? or are we COMPELLED, CALLED to be more.. to extend love and compassion to strangers... to people we don't know, and haven't seen?

    How do we as a community push ourselves to see the humanity in the inhuman news we are bombarded with daily?
    Mitakuye Oyasin

  • #2
    We as individual regular people living our lives cant change the world but yes we can make it a better place by caring in our own ways as much as we can and loving our families and kissing the dog does matter as it starts there.

    Also we cant let the sadness of the world consume us as that only leaves us depressed and useless. Your not kissing the dog or loving your mate or your mom if your consumed in the worlds grief.

    So we do what we need to and live the best we can. That doesnt make us less of anything or cold, etc.
    We just do the best we can with what we are handed.

    What would you have us do?
    What can you do?
    It wont go away no matter what any of us do. It will be there day after day.
    Realistically it sucks but life goes on, it has to.
    Being all upset wont change anything either.

    Times like this the serenity prayer fits. Because we have to accept and live with the things we cant change since tomorrow man will be killing man.

    When it comes to Jesus he didnt stop man from being cruel to each other.
    He didnt hold the whole worlds hand either. While he was healing the sick, people where somewhere killing each other.
    He taught us choice though.
    You can chose to kiss the dog or kill it. Yes, it starts that simple.
    If you chose kindness, yes, your making a difference all around you. Thats important. Jesus was kind to those around him and it mattered.
    :boing:

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tanya View Post
      How many times do we turn on the computer or open the paper and read that?

      This week, it was 10s of thousands... and I got to thinking, as I'm also writing a novel that takes place during the Vietnam Era and isstrongly influenced by WWII, how is it as a species.. or even us, as a religious community, that we can read that.. day in, day out, from Holocaust to geonocide and yet it does not touch us in any real way.

      Everyday, we, being basically good people kiss our partners and kids and dogs and live our safe little lives.. and thousands die, over the next hill, and we just let it go on and on?

      How can we? (I'm asking this as much to myself as you all) How can we call ourselves moral human beings and do nothing? Not to go all Jesus on you all... but, is loving those around us enough to be truely good people? or are we COMPELLED, CALLED to be more.. to extend love and compassion to strangers... to people we don't know, and haven't seen?

      How do we as a community push ourselves to see the humanity in the inhuman news we are bombarded with daily?
      If you spend 1 second a day focusing on every person who dies every day you will have no time to live. Once people die there is nothing you can do for them, instead you can live your life and do what you believe is the purpose of life.
      There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

      Comment


      • #4
        Thousands of men die every day, unfortunately. It is the doom of men to die, or so they say.

        I'm sure you'd like to do something about it - as would I - but that's about as likely as you lifting a cathedral unaided.

        Taciturn and prudent, and in war daring, should a king's children be;
        joyous and liberal every one should be until his hour of death.


        The Words of Odin the High One - translated by Benjamin Thorpe

        Comment


        • #5
          yep, the dead are dead, nothing to do for them, but what about the thousand for tomorrow.. shouldn't we try to lift the catherdal for them?

          What would I have us do? what should the German people have done who lived near Auswitz if they were truely moral.. they should have fought back against the society's apathy.. and I agree Shanti we shouldn't stop loving those we are near, or fall into depression, I'm thinking we should start loving those who are far just as passionately, as those who are right here.
          Last edited by Tanya; March 21st, 2011, 08:03 AM.
          Mitakuye Oyasin

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tanya View Post
            yep, the dead are dead, nothing to do for them, but what about the thousand for tomorrow.. shouldn't we try to lift the catherdal for them?

            What would I have us do? what should the German people have done who lived near Auswitz if they were truely moral.. they should have fought back against the society's apathy.. and I agree Shanti we shouldn't stop loving those we are near, or fall into depression, I'm thinking we should start loving those who are far just as passionately, as those who are right here.
            Of course we should feel for the pain in the world and those who suffer. People do feel. There are many that go out and do their best to help. Back home there are people hoping.
            When Rwanda happened there was a lot of screaming for help, it didnt come but people did try to get the word out.
            Right now a soldier, Bradley Manning, is in prison for blowing the whistle on a slaugheter of innocents that had happened.
            There are people who give up their lives trying to help.
            We cant all do that but that doesnt mean we dont care.

            Heck there are people safe from harm that have family, moms, dads, daughters, sons, in harms ways because they couldn't escape some tyranny in time. Those safe people are totally suffering knowing that their loved ones may perish in some awful war or dictatorship or gorilla warfare and so on. They have love but they also have their hands tied too. That doesnt mean they are not in severe pain with love and fear for those left behind. They continue to live their lives as best they can.

            Look at the fall of Tibet, a lot have tried through time to get help. Everyone knows what happened and is still happening. "Free Tibet"...people care. But reality is Tibet wont ever be Tibet again.

            A lot care even though they are living their lives and not pining away.
            No one likes what is going on. But we dont have the power to make they world a peaceful one because to many dont want peace.

            Gadhafi sure doesn't want peace and people are trying since us and our allies are bombing the hell out of his regime. People do try.
            We have a war now in Libya and because of one dictator more will die in that war but if nothing is done the people there suffer and die. Thats the way it is. People have, and will die in circumstances that are not their fault.

            Life, death, peace and violence...it happens.
            :boing:

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by memnoch View Post
              If you spend 1 second a day focusing on every person who dies every day you will have no time to live. Once people die there is nothing you can do for them, instead you can live your life and do what you believe is the purpose of life.
              This. It sounds cold, but it's not, it's realistic. What I try to do is focus on what still is; those that are dead are gone, nothing else can be done...but those still alive, however, do need our help. Trying our best to help those who are still here and affected by natural disasters is constructive, and makes more sense than sitting around feeling sorry for the dead.

              Wow, I kinda went on a tangent. lol.
              "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

              "Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008


              Comment


              • #8
                I guess what I'm asking, is, are we morally impelled to fight... to stand up....to reject that sense of powerlessness... to accept that we are small but take a stand anyway.
                Mitakuye Oyasin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                  I guess what I'm asking, is, are we morally impelled to fight... to stand up....to reject that sense of powerlessness... to accept that we are small but take a stand anyway.
                  We do stand and fight where and when we can.
                  We are doing that now in Libya.
                  I dont get what your trying to say.

                  There is no horrid thing happening in my area so whats to fight?

                  We cant all go running off to other countries.

                  What do you mean by take a stand?
                  What do you think people should do?
                  Should they march down the streets everyday with banners after they get off work or done grocery shopping?

                  I sincerely dont understand what your trying to communicate.

                  We have the red cross, peace keepers, aid workers, all those things are created by people.
                  Last edited by Shanti; March 21st, 2011, 07:12 PM.
                  :boing:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tanya View Post
                    I guess what I'm asking, is, are we morally impelled to fight... to stand up....to reject that sense of powerlessness... to accept that we are small but take a stand anyway.
                    There are constant debates and no real answers because it isn't that simple. Lets go back 9 years, were we morally impelled to fight for the freedom of those under the tyranny of Saddam? Some said yes, some gave other reasons, some said no. Most had legit reasons that were not immoral or heartless. There really is no good answer. So, on a personal level I speak out on many issues I view to be right and wrong...sometimes I offer financial support, moral support, time, ect., other times it is just my words. That is what I was getting at with the live your life the best you know how...that is all anyone can do.
                    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Once upon a time in a faraway land far in the past, there was a simple man who lost the love of his life. He left his home and the town they had loved in and became a hermit living in the woods. Every day, this heartbroken man would take burnt twigs and write on strips of peeled birch bark the most beautiful poems of love and loss that a single couplet would make a hard hearted person weep from love and loss.

                      Eventually the man returned to his home in the town they had loved in and transcribed the poems into books. When he died, his descendents found the books of poems and had them published, making them rich beyond the dreams of avarice.

                      The people who bought the poems were so moved by the love and loss and story of the hermit that they ran out to share them with friends, the friends shared them. These simple poems by this simple man were so moving and so heartfelt that they captivated the minds of all who read them. Problems didn't seem so bad, people became nicer to one another and the Poem Age was begun. From that day on all people moved foward together, united by the love and loss of a man they never met.

                      Now, imagine what would have happened if some well meaning person had gotten this man out of the forest sooner?

                      The moral of this story is that before we rush out to help someone we might want to accept that what we are doing has nothing to do with helping them and in fact may hurt them in the long run. Remember, if your power to see the future was all that great, you wouldn't be reading my words on Mystic wicks, you would be couting lottery winnings and stock profits.
                      Brought to you by the
                      National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
                      Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
                      Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
                      You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
                      It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
                      I am aware of how nasty I come across.
                      If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
                      I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Memnoch gets it...

                        no we can't see the future... what I'm saying is... we need to put our money and time and passion where our mouths are.. where ever that maybe...
                        Mitakuye Oyasin

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X