Messiah? Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messiah? Jesus?

We were having a little bit of a discussion on another forum which sparked my temporary interest in Jesus as The Messiah/Christ.

Jesus from the Hebrew name Yeshua
    Messiah means anointed one and was used to describe a priest, king or prophet. Someone who had been anointed with oil, chosen by God.

Now I have a few questions, namely... in what way is he a/the Messiah?
    As in, he was a priest?
    As in, he was a prophet?
    As in, he was a king?
    Or, as in the Messianic Jewish prophecies, so to speak.

I know that in theory Christians hail him as the Messiah from the Messianic prophecies, but the fact of the matter is he didn't fulfill the role the Messiah was supposed to fulfill, and if he was just a priest/prophet, wouldn't it be hard to argue that he was anything more special than all the other priests and prophets by the name of Yeshua out there?

I guess that part confuses me. I mean... he didn't create world peace, everyone in the world didn't turn to the Jewish God in worship, and kings and leaders didn't seek his counsel, not did he eradicate hunger or poverty, and he didn't become the king of Israel or restore them to greatness. So no fulfillment of the Messianic prophecies. And he never did become the king... so he obviously didn't even think himself that kind of Messiah, right?
    So he's a prophet or a priest.
    And how many prophets and priests wouldn't there have been around called Yeshua at that time?

Just a little question.
    What do you think?
    Priest
    Prophet
    King
    or the Messiah according to the Jewish Messianic tradition?
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Well for starters, the name Yeshua was just a variation of the name Joshua, and there was nothing special about it. There was a gazillion of them running around Palestine back in Jesus' day.

As for the prophecies concerning the messiah, there were many that Jesus did not fulfill. It is said that he will fulfill them later after his second coming.
    Last edited by Tobias; March 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM.
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by Tobias View Post
      Well for starters, the name Yeshua was just a variation of the name Joshua, and there was nothing special about it. There was a gazillion of them running around Palestine back in Jesus' day.

As for the prophecies concerning the messiah, there were many that Jesus did not fulfill. It is said that he will fulfill them later after his second coming.
      Aaaaah. So... he just didn't get around to it the first time?
      Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
      X