A question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question

I was wondering if it is possible to major in occult studies adn how would i go about doing so. :spinnysmi

Damia Westwind
    Bide the Wiccan Law ye must in perfect love in perfect trust. Eight words the Wiccan rede fulfill and ye harm none do what ye will. What ye sends forth comes back to the so evermind the rule of three. Follow this with mind and heart and merry ye meet and merry ye part.

I could see graduate work or perhaps even undergrad papers done which focus on specifically occult topics in a number of disciplines. For instance, a history major could focus on religious movements (specializing in Wicca or occult fraternities etc.) As an English major, it could involve studying and researching occult literature, perhaps investigating occult topics in Shakespeare's work or something like that. In a Science major they could focus on paranormal claims, and in a pre-med program it could involve focussing on "alternative healing" methods.

In a bachelor's program it's not usually until the final year courses where you really get to choose your own topics for research. And at the Master's and PhD level, you'd have to select your university, department, and program supervisor carefully as they often determine a lot of what you end up researching anyways. A lot of what you get to focus on will depend on who the faculty are, what their specialities are, and how supportive they are of their students exploring this sort of thing. But I could see it working out in the right circumstances.

But I doubt there's anything like a Bachelor's degree in "Occult Arts" or "Magickal Sciences" or anything like that. The only person who I am aware of who got away with something like that is Isaac Bonewits, and that was in California in 1970. I don't know if anyone else since then has managed to get an accredited university degree in occultism like that.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
    X