The Rapture....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rapture....

Were you brought up with the Rapture? How did you feel about it at the time? Does it still affect you today, even in your current faith?

I was. I saw several rapture movies when I was no more than 7. I was always convinced that I wasn't good enough to be raptured. I would come home from school to an empty house when Mom or Dad or sisters should have been home, and would completely freak myself out.

I'm still affected by it. Came home from work last summer and hubby had left the weed whacker running by the side of the driveway as he went around the other side of the house. I didn't know this, I'm just coming home to a running weed whacker and no hubby. For several minutes, my heart was in my chest...

Logically, I know this is a silly thing. It's just so ingrained that it's the first thing that comes to mind...

Anybody else plagued with this.. Rapture Panic?

"Meh...."
    ¤My LJ Blog¤

I have no fear of the Rapture because I don't believe it's going to happen, but I know what you're talking about. When I was a kid I was shown several of those films. It had me freaked out for a little while - especially the concern about barcodes.

Interesting how some people are concerned about kids seeing Britney Spears videos but are OK with their kids being told that one day they may come home and find everyone they love has disappeared, and they're been left behind to enjoy the end of the world...

Comment

I was always convinced that I *am* good enough for the Rapture. It's just that, given the choice, I would choose to stay behind to pick up the pieces. (Honestly, how irresponsible. We're good, make us go to heaven so we don't have to deal with the mess we left behind.)
      ~ * ~ * ~ Here's my latest art on Fine Art America ~ * ~ * ~

I also do commissions, so if you're interested in having me paint something specifically for you, just contact me. Mention that you're an MW member, and get a 5% discount on your specially commissioned piece. And if the piece has an animal as the subject, I'll see to it that future sales of the prints also benefit a rescue organization devoted to that species/breed.)

Comment

You know, I was thinking about this the other day, and I realized that I have a slightly different take on it. During my Christian days, I was "Messianic." We didn't expect to be Raptured. What we figured was that those who were good Christians but not strong enough to survive the Trib would be raptured. The rest would fight our way through it, purifying our faith in the process, and we would be the ones that would welcome Christ back as King and help him overcome the Forces of Evil(TM) and live in his city and run things afterwards. People who actually expected to be raptured, and wanted to be, were wussies and cowards ... So I still have an "Oh, right, you're going to make the mess, then run away and let everybody else clean it up" attitude toward the Rapturists. Our church even had a group for teenage boys called the "Princes of Israel" which was teaching them survival skills and how to do guerilla warfare against the Antichrist ... then they found out the pastor who was teaching all this stuff was lying about his ordination and also was molesting some of those same teenage boys while they were on their camping retreats ... the whole thing fell apart shortly after that for some reason.

As a Pagan, I still think, deep in my heart somewhere, "Oh, good, they're gone. Now we can start cleaning the place up."

I was lurking on a "rapture" board yesterday and was appalled by how many people were CHEERING all the bad things that are happening because they're all signs that we're in the End Times. "Look at how much apostasy there is! Look at the drug use! Look at the priests molesting children! Look at the failure of peace talks and the possibility of Israel attacking Syria and devastating Damascus! Isn't it GREAT! AMEN!"

I was horrified that they would actually think that way.
        Blessed be!

Demeter

Demeter's First Rule: Thou Shalt Not Check Thy Brain At The Door.
        Demeter's Second Rule: Thou Shalt THINK! (kudos to Orson Scott Card)

"Compassion is not an option. It is the Law of Laws." (Truth is found in unlikely places; this is a quote from some random guy I passed on the street.)

Comment

OMG Demeter, you just put the fear of man in my heart. *shaking head* Why oh why do people delight in the plights of man if only to "prove" ancient artifactual lengend? Grew up with this my whole life; people who watch current events just to point to how lousy mankind is becoming.

Granted, life is rough for MANY here on Earth, but it's comparatively good when you look at how people lived a century ago--even 50 years ago.

Sigh. Yes, I saw the Rapture films, and supposedly that book series Left Behind was really "good." I knew of non-Xns who read it. Truly, fanatics of ANY kind are hard to deal with and understand; Rapture freaks are no different. The sect I was in as a kid wasn't hardcore. But I do remember being afraid that I'd wake up from a dream and find I was alone in the house. Sad that they can torment you into a belief system...that's a cult in my opinion.

Comment

I want to get the bumper sticker that says, "When the Rapture comes, can I have your car?"
            Ben Trismegistus
            Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

Really, I'm terrified that someone might cause it to happen because they expect it to happen. Like the ones who smuggled explosives into Jerusalem to blow up the Dome of the Rock so that the Jews could rebuild the Temple there and thereby permit the Last Days to happen. Certainly these folks are doing nothing to STOP any of the things that are going on; how much of a step would it be to try to provoke a crisis that might lead to Armageddon?
              Blessed be!

Demeter

Demeter's First Rule: Thou Shalt Not Check Thy Brain At The Door.
              Demeter's Second Rule: Thou Shalt THINK! (kudos to Orson Scott Card)

"Compassion is not an option. It is the Law of Laws." (Truth is found in unlikely places; this is a quote from some random guy I passed on the street.)

Comment

I have been (vaguely) thinking lately that the rapture may not happen as pictorially given by those who seem to be somewhat among us.

Jesus said, 'As the lightening strikes from the east to the west, so shall the coming of the son of man be'. The catch word 'rapture' is concocted from a phrase in one of the Thesslonian epistles. It went something like this: (quite cryptic really) 'He who lets, will let, until ..well, until further notice (ha) I'll look for it and get back later. I think this matter is worthy of some thought before posting

Comment

Alrighty then, I got my scriptures messed up, although they do play into the senario.

The passage is thus: 1 Thess. 4:16&17

16) For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
                  17) Then we which are alive and remain shall be 'caught up' (raptured) together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Got to give a couple more (maybe).

1 Corinth. 15: 51-53 (the greater passage should really be read, but for time's sake)

51) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep (die) but shall all be changed,
                  52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we all shall be changed.
                  53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

hang in there, don't mean to get preachy on you

A segment in one of Jesus' parables goes..'when the wheat is taken away to be burned, THEN shall the righteous shine forth as the sun, in his kingdom'.

btw, I'm one of those who believes in ultimate universal redemption, although a crash course in refinement may be necessary for some. Namely, the purging fire of hell, of which degreeable burning is measured in equation to how far off, are evil we are, in relation to what Love is.

Another side note I feel the need to express. Biblical repentance, in my understanding, means to 'turn within', for the kingdom of heaven is within you. I would say that, to the degree we are capable of inwardness, is to the degree we will be able to understand spirituality, even as it is expressed in nature.

Now back to the subject on hand. I sense that what these passages are implying, is this:
                  There will come a time, in the spiritual evolution of our earth's history, when the Christ impulse has so worked within the divine center of man, that we will then have crossed a threshold of consciousness, whereby our very bodies will be clothed in immortal clothing.

To try nut-shell this idea, it will be something like 'the fall' in reverse. I veiw it, as necessary in the Mind of God, to under-go death, so that individual ego-consciousness, imbued with the parousia of Christ, could then, in a sense, be another 'God' in relationship to God, whereby it took death to reproduce himself, in creating this 'other'. Yet it retains its Oneness. Another of the same kind. Only in this way, differing from say, Buddhism. In Buddhism, one does not retain their individuality, but blends back into the Oneness as a drop would return to the Ocean.

The language of being 'caught up together in the clouds' 'to meet the Lord in the air', takes place as a result of our corruptible putting on the incorruptible, bodily imbuing of the etheric Christ. 'air' and 'clouds' speaking of the etherisation of Christ's blood throughout our bodily beings. There is other scriptures that give reason to believe that this 'catching up' is more of a dimensional catching away, then a spatial one.

Comment

Rapture? Is this when the sun and moon is suppossed to fall out the sky?

Comment

The way I understand it. Jesus is supposed to come back with the blare of a trumpet (that may or may not be heard by "sinners"). Dead will rise and everyone "saved" will disappear, joining Jesus wherever he is. The rest of "us" would be left to Armageddon.. Umm.. 7 years of bad stuff?

I was really little when I heard this song, it was in some movie that Dad took us kids to go see...

Life was filled with guns and war
                      And all of us got trampled on the floor
                      I wish we'd all been ready

Children died, the days grew cold
                      A piece of bread could buy a bag of gold

Chorus
                      There's no time to change your mind
                      The Son has come and you've been left behind

A man and wife asleep in bed
                      She hears a noise and turns her head he's gone

Two men walking up a hill
                      One disappears and one's left standing still

(Chorus)

The Father spoke
                      The demons dined
                      How could you
                      Have been so blind

(Chorus 2x)

I hope we'll all be ready (you've been left behind)

"Meh...."
                      ¤My LJ Blog¤

Comment

Originally posted by Kurgarra
                        The way I understand it. Jesus is supposed to come back with the blare of a trumpet (that may or may not be heard by "sinners"). Dead will rise and everyone "saved" will disappear, joining Jesus wherever he is. The rest of "us" would be left to Armageddon.. Umm.. 7 years of bad stuff?
                        Oh ok. I use to be very scared about that. My young nephew still is.

Comment

*IMO*
                          even as a kid, the movies they showed about the 'rapture' seemed like a big bully standing over a small child, trying to force himself on the other by fear!

Sorry, I never cared for all that crap, even then.

No Regrets!
                          Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
                          "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
                          ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
                          Welcome to my World!
                          Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Trismegistus
                            I want to get the bumper sticker that says, "When the Rapture comes, can I have your car?"
                            LMFAO!!!!!!!!

That was terrific! Thanks, man, I needed a laugh!
                            "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
                            with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Comment

Growing up as a Roman Catholic, we were never taught about a Rapture. We were encouraged to go to Confession as often as possible, so that if we got hit by a bus or eaten by rabid iguanas our souls would be always clean and "ready for Heaven". But as far as a mass apocalypse, or the Second Coming, very little was discussed.

(((Kurgarra and others))) What a scary way to grow up!
                              :weirdsmil

Comment

Working...
                              X