Who created who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who created who?

I wonder if this will get as blown up as I think it may?

Originally posted by Peter J. Carroll - Liber Kaos
    Humanity creates gods,not vice versa, but once created they can have profound effects so long as they continue to be "worshipped" by deed and memory."

I like it! =)

Makes sense to me. :D

"Meh...."
    ¤My LJ Blog¤

Comment

Harlan Ellison has a wonderful collection of short stories that deal with this very thing. it's called 'The Pain God (and other stories)', and the common theme is the idea that when Gods cease being worshipped they cease to exist.
      this is also a big part of the theme of 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins.
      some people are like slinkies -
      not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Comment

Hi all-

Yeah, it seems clear to me it was like that. If you want to see it blow up, post it at a Christian board.

-Equinox
        -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe.
        - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

What do I believe? Find out on my webpage (here):

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan (OK, now that link is fixed) who has found a spiritual home at a Unitarian Universalist Church.

Useful Data for Pagans:
        Equinox/Solstice Times (click here) rise/set and phase data (click here)

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox
          If you want to see it blow up, post it at a Christian board.
          Eww...that would be ugly! ;-)

Honestly though...I am surprised and relieved to see that there is'nt a lot of "Goddess created all" sentiment floating around.

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
            Eww...that would be ugly! ;-)

Honestly though...I am surprised and relieved to see that there is'nt a lot of "Goddess created all" sentiment floating around.
            And what's wrong with a Goddess created it all stance?
            mol

sitegod/system_Administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma

Comment

Depends who created the goddess I suppose.
              ~*Sarah*~

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox
                Hi all-

Yeah, it seems clear to me it was like that. If you want to see it blow up, post it at a Christian board.

-Equinox
                OOOH! I could think of a board or two to post THAT on...
                ~*Sarah*~

Comment

Originally posted by mol
                  And what's wrong with a Goddess created it all stance?
                  Whats wrong with it? Well, I happen to disagree with that view. Course I would NOT classify that view as 'wrong'. YOU are the one that used that word Mol. :-p:::

I did say I was relieved...I shouldnt have really. In truth I was hoping there would be someone who did hold this view. It would be interesting to wrestle with them.

Comment

What..I thought this was an ACDC thread.

*turns around and walks off singing to self*
                    "Who made who? Aint nobody told ya who made you?"

Sorry, I am sleepy and off to catch a nap. Maybe I will come wrestle with ya later Toad.

Comment

Shhhhhh

Originally Posted by Peter J. Carroll - Liber Kaos

Humanity creates gods,not vice versa, but once created they can have profound effects so long as they continue to be "worshipped" by deed and memory."
                      Ya know what I believe?

i believe, that we will get to 'a step in our being', where we will create our very own worlds.

Maybe, you have to go thru so much in this, and other lives; never having to do 'exactly' the very same thing.
                      That eventually we learn how to create our own worlds.

*oh, I came here from the newsletter link.
                      I think ya'll are doing an excellent job!*

No Regrets!
                      Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
                      "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
                      ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
                      Welcome to my World!
                      Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

Originally posted by ~*FloraCove*~

Ya know what I believe?

i believe, that we will get to 'a step in our being', where we will create our very own worlds.

Maybe, you have to go thru so much in this, and other lives; never having to do 'exactly' the very same thing.
                        That eventually we learn how to create our own worlds.

*oh, I came here from the newsletter link.
                        I think ya'll are doing an excellent job!*

Flora -

I wouldnt argue your statement...but...I have to ask. How does this answer the 'Did the gods create us? Or did we create the gods?'.

Maybe I am just missing it. If so...sorry in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Semele
                          Maybe I will come wrestle with ya later Toad.

Did I get a nibble then?

Comment

Originally posted by Toad
                            Flora -

I wouldnt argue your statement...but...I have to ask. How does this answer the 'Did the gods create us? Or did we create the gods?'.
                            Hmmm, let me see if I can make sense...

To me this is my answer, because that's what I believe.
                            I believe it is an unending circle.
                            There are those that came before us and those that will follow.
                            Meaning that to encompass everything.
                            From a blade of grass, to humans and god/dess's.

It is an unending circle that spirals up (and down).
                            So I guess you might, could say if you like, that my answer is yes, to both questions.

Does that make you feel better?

No Regrets!
                            Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
                            "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
                            ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
                            Welcome to my World!
                            Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

Um... 'goddesss' created the universe the universe created the earth the earth created life and life created man... that's why I call her 'grandmother' after all... It's an ancestral thing. Yes I did decend from the gods, through the stars and 'down' to earth... huh... I am so freaky... who knew!
                              *throws salt around the ring*
                              Bring it on!

special thanks to menolly for such a lovely image!

Comment

Working...
                              X