Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few thoughts regarding All Hollows Eve and more.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few thoughts regarding All Hollows Eve and more.

Does anyone out there plan on doing anything for the real holidays.
    I mean this is supposed to be a forrum for "pagans", as in against or opposing the social "norm", but it seems to me that most everyone just accepts what is as is... no questions.
    This is really getting me now because no one seems to know when
    All Hollows even is.
    Everyone just went about a'singin and a'decorating and praising and calling... for what. For What?!
    Harvest moon isnt till next saturday.
    But everyone just goes along with what they are told.
    Do any Pagans here even know the true cycles?
    Not the calendar, the cycles.
    As in 13 equal moon phases.
    364 days a cycle, 28 days a phase, 7 days a quarter.
    Always equal.. always new.. always the same.
    Just because some tart from Rome decided that he didnt like things the way they were,... everything is changed.
    Pagans were those who practiced the old ways, the true ways... even then. Everything since has been twisted. Astrology can not be correct unless it is calculated with true variables.
    All this add a day lose a day daylight savings leap year crap!
    I know its more about whats in the heart, and most people are just happy to have a day to be happy being a bit different...
    But there is so much more.

I would love to go on but Im going to stop,
    Cause if I dont I never will.
    ANYONE PLEASE RESPOND
    Id love to hear some other views

The spiralz spin~All thingz konstant~Konstanly changing~Reshaping the spiralz of xistence~Spiralz spiral on~
    ~Az the spiralz spin~All thingz konstant~
    Konstantly changing~Reshaping the spiralz of xistence~
    Spiralz spiral on~

Which real holidays ,different pagan traditions have different holidays.
    I also don't follow how being a pagan automatically equals being against the social norm.I'm sure there are as many different reasons for being a pagan as there are pagans,so I suppose being against the social norm is one of them.For me being a pagan is about my gods it has nothing to do with being accepted or not being accepted.

Hollow's eve ,Samhain,November Eve,or whichever name you prefer,isn't something I celebrate since I'm a Heathen.I know people who do celebrate every year on October 31st,I also know people who make it a bit of a festival starting their celebration on the 31st and ending it on the Harvest moon or whatever name their tradition gives that particular moon.And then there are folks who don't go by a calendar at all and instead wait for a particular event usually agricultural ,such as the harvest of a specific local crop, to celebrate.
    As far as the true cycles go could you be more specific about who they are true for.
    Different cultures had different calendars not all of them lunar.
    For example the Old Norse calendar wasn't lunar,they used the half-year of summer/winter and the week as their means of telling time.
    As far as what's right or what's true that would depend on your tradition and/or beliefs.What's right for me probably isn't going to be right for you.
    Freyr is the best of all the bold riders in the courts of the Aesir ;
    he harms no maids nor the wives of men,
    and the bound from their fetters he frees.
    ~Lokasenna

Comment

Hi!

Because I see the 8 holidays as metaphors for the celebration of important parts in the cycle of the year and the cycle of our lives, I don’t get too hung up about whether or not the calculations are exactly right. In fact, I try to avoid being too inflexible about it because for me, it makes me feel too much like a fundamentalist.

I think there are fundamentalists in all religions (though more in some religions than others), so there are Jewish fundamentalists, buddhist fundamentalists, etc. Basically I’m defining fundies as those who see their approach (or book) as inerrant, and don’t allow for other paths.

I think it is great for someone to get the calculations right, but it just isn’t where I choose to spend my effort – other priorities, like family, friends, and love, are higher for me.

-Equinox
      -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe.
      - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

What do I believe? Find out on my webpage (here):

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan (OK, now that link is fixed) who has found a spiritual home at a Unitarian Universalist Church.

Useful Data for Pagans:
      Equinox/Solstice Times (click here) rise/set and phase data (click here)

Comment

As I've said in other recent threads, I celebrate my Sabbats on the Astorlogical dates... Ostara, Mabon, Litha and Yule are pretty accurate on most calendars by being listed as the "first day" of their respective seasons. The other 4 are a little trickier, being timed by the sun's degree... Samhain-15 degress Scorpio, Imbolc-15 degrees Aquarius, Beltaine-15 degrees Taurus, and Lughnasa-15 degrees Leo. I'm an astrologer, however, and work with a Greek/Roman pantheon largely because of my beliefs in that area, so the astrological symbolism means a lot to me.
        "The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Comment

Originally posted by Kadynas
          As I've said in other recent threads, I celebrate my Sabbats on the Astorlogical dates... Ostara, Mabon, Litha and Yule are pretty accurate on most calendars by being listed as the "first day" of their respective seasons. The other 4 are a little trickier, being timed by the sun's degree... Samhain-15 degress Scorpio, Imbolc-15 degrees Aquarius, Beltaine-15 degrees Taurus, and Lughnasa-15 degrees Leo. I'm an astrologer, however, and work with a Greek/Roman pantheon largely because of my beliefs in that area, so the astrological symbolism means a lot to me.
          Calendars are the problem. None of them are accurate,...the closest i've seen is the aztec. With regards to you being an astrologer... I am curious how you calculate the zodiac. The greco/roman pantheon was created based on a 12 m. calendar w/ leap years and additives.
          The true zodiac should be calculated using astrological cycles. 364 days from today is the same day next cycle... not 5 days later or 5 days earlier. 13 houses w/ 13 sub-houses connecting them. There should be 13 signs of the physical elements and 13 elements of spirit.. 1 connecting each 2. Many ancient cultures knew this but their teachings were all but eradicated. I still hope to piece it together eventually.
          (side note) I posted a piece of a book I am in the middle of, in this section, intitled 'the truth of xistence'... It xplains alot of what I cant fit here. If you decide to read it, you may want to skip a little down the page... the intro is quite long and could be a bit misleading.
          Anywayz thanx 4 the feedback
          Spiralz spiral on~

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox
            Hi!

Because I see the 8 holidays as metaphors for the celebration of important parts in the cycle of the year and the cycle of our lives, I don’t get too hung up about whether or not the calculations are exactly right. In fact, I try to avoid being too inflexible about it because for me, it makes me feel too much like a fundamentalist.

I think there are fundamentalists in all religions (though more in some religions than others), so there are Jewish fundamentalists, buddhist fundamentalists, etc. Basically I’m defining fundies as those who see their approach (or book) as inerrant, and don’t allow for other paths.

I think it is great for someone to get the calculations right, but it just isn’t where I choose to spend my effort – other priorities, like family, friends, and love, are higher for me.

-Equinox
            Thats cool, I can understand this.. thats what I meant by 'whats in the heart'... Im just horror-bly cursed with details. Oh well and onwards.....
            Spiralz spiral on~

Comment

Not quite sure what you're getting at...

I go by my ephemeris and my Astrolog software for chart calculations... I don't do the math myself... I already gave you the degrees I use for Samhain, Beltaine, Imbolc & Lughnasa... For the solstices and equinoxes it is the Sun being in the 00 degree of the sign... Ostara - 00 degrees Aries, and so on.
              I have heard the theory of the 13th sign and quite frankly have not found it to be very meaningful in my own work... And as far as the 364 day-year thing, I thought that was /why/ we had leap year, that extra day in February every 4 (or is it 5?) years so we keep even with the earth's actual rotations or something? (I'm an astrologer, but I don't have any real understanding of the whole leap year issue... that is just what I can remember being told a long time ago... )
              I also use the Tropical zodiac, rather than the Sidereal... Sidereal is based on where the actual zodiac constellations are, while Tropical goes by the Ecliptic, pretty much the imaginary zones in the sky where the signs wrap around the earth.
              I'd be interested to know where this house system you're talking about comes from... I've never heard of one with 26 houses before!
              But anyways, I'm not saying that my dates are the only correct ones for the holidays, just what I prefer because it is meaningful to me personally. To each their own...
              "The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves, that we are underlings."

Comment

Working...
              X