Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Could (a)God create a rock so big, even they couldnt lift it?"...I think I solved it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Could (a)God create a rock so big, even they couldnt lift it?"...I think I solved it

ok, I was laying in bed, contemplating existence, and I think I might have solved the question:

Could (a) God create a rock SO massive that even they couldn't lift it?

the answer? YES!

ok, Gods are infinite right? and Infinity is ever-expanding...

a God would be at a certain point in infinity, and create a rock at a different point (a higher point) therefore, when it was created, the rock was indeed too massive for the God to lift...BUT!

the God would then expand further into infinity, PAST the rock, and be ablke to lift it...so they make it bigger, and the cycle repeats...indeffinitely!

so the God would just have to create a rock of infinite size!

like this

G = God

R = Rock

| = Infinity

the God exists in inifnity, and makes a rock of infinite size, since infinity is ever expanding the rock is then further along then the God, and thereby too massive to lift...

|||||G||||R|||

Since gods are also infinite, they too are always expanding, and move past the rock, thereby able to lift it...

|||||R||||G||||

they then make the rock equal to the size of infinity again...

|||||G||||||R||||

and so on, and so on...

wow...that was moved fast...hehe thanks, didn't know where to ask it, just wanted people to see it :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mindflayer
      ok, I was laying in bed, contemplating existence, ok, Gods are infinite right? and Infinity is ever-expanding...
      Infinity is not ever-expanding! Think about it. What is Infinity+1? still Infinity. It's a constant, unchanging. Now, if you said that God was a known posative integer, then you might be in business. Though I don't think you could really find much evidence to support either claim. Good effort though!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Cast out of Olympus by the Site Gods
      Email: [email protected]
      AIM: MayKen007
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      No community rules for you!

Comment

OK why would infinity be ever-expanding? Why wouldn't it be?

Why would god(s) be infinite? Being all-powerfull and infinite aren't the same thing. I would assume a god to be all-powerfull. But if they were infinite, they'd have a hard time finding a finite point in space to place that rock on, wouldn't they?

A better argument:
        If a god would have to carry a rock, there would have to be gravity. God and the rock would have to be drawn down by that gravity (otherwise, why lift the rock at all?). If God were drawn down by the gravity (they probably created themselves) they would be neither infinite nor all-powerfull.
        Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
        Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

Well, if the rock was too heavy for God to carry, he could hire some guys to carry the rock. Problem solved.
          Ben Trismegistus
          Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

No, because the problem is, that when they need help, they aren't omnipotent. As such a god wouldn't be a god.

Comment

Infinity is not ever-expanding! Think about it. What is Infinity+1? still Infinity. It's a constant, unchanging. Now, if you said that God was a known posative integer, then you might be in business. Though I don't think you could really find much evidence to support either claim. Good effort though!

Actually, you proved my point

anything added to infinity, is still infinity, therefore infinity goes on forever (hence why it's called infinity, it NEVER ends)

Why would god(s) be infinite? Being all-powerfull and infinite aren't the same thing.
              true, there is a difference between being all-powerful and infinite, I just left out the first part...because it was unimportant

The Gods are present in everything, they do not have an end point...they are infinite...

A better argument:
              If a god would have to carry a rock, there would have to be gravity. God and the rock would have to be drawn down by that gravity (otherwise, why lift the rock at all?). If God were drawn down by the gravity (they probably created themselves) they would be neither infinite nor all-powerfull.
              truthfully...gravity is besides the point...

basically, Gods are infite, and ever-expanding (as explained above) they create the rock of infinite size (but not ever-expanding) for that split-moment the rock would be further along than the god, but the God would move past, and be powerful enough to lift it

Comment

Originally posted by Xentor
                No, because the problem is, that when they need help, they aren't omnipotent. As such a god wouldn't be a god.
                No quite. Some gods are stronger than others, which means that not all gods are omnipotent. Are those gods Who are weaker than some others, not gods at all then?

Zeus is stronger than Athene. Is Athene not a god because of it?

Even Zeus does not have the power to go against Fate. Is He not a god because even He must obey the laws of the universe?

Of course not.

The gods Themselves know They are not All-Powerful, or All-Knowing. Mortals are the ones who labeled Them as such, because in comparison to our own evolution, They definitely can seem so. Yet the gods are not so easily confined to the tiny boxes of our beliefs and realities.

Is it not enough just to say that They Are?
                Our Rules|Copyright Policy |FAQ

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down;
                It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
                And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
                Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
                We are not now that strength which in old days
                Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
                One equal temper of heroic hearts,
                Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
                To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~From Ulysses, by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Comment

basically, Gods are infite, and ever-expanding (as explained above) they create the rock of infinite size (but not ever-expanding) for that split-moment the rock would be further along than the god, but the God would move past, and be powerful enough to lift it
                  wow. i didn't understand it after reading it a few times, but then suddenly it just clicked, and it seems to make sense..

Comment

Originally posted by Nallia
                    No quite. Some gods are stronger than others, which means that not all gods are omnipotent. Are those gods Who are weaker than some others, not gods at all then?

Zeus is stronger than Athene. Is Athene not a god because of it?

Even Zeus does not have the power to go against Fate. Is He not a god because even He must obey the laws of the universe?

Of course not.

The gods Themselves know They are not All-Powerful, or All-Knowing. Mortals are the ones who labeled Them as such, because in comparison to our own evolution, They definitely can seem so. Yet the gods are not so easily confined to the tiny boxes of our beliefs and realities.

Is it not enough just to say that They Are?
                    Nice touch, Nallia, I hadn't thought of that. I guess that's because I implied the mentioned god to be omnipotent. Because the rock paradox is about omnipotence. That god would be god just because they are omnipotent. And not being able to lift a rock would disprove their omnipotence. Therefore the paradoxical question, if they would be omnipotent in creating such a rock at all.

You mention the Greek gods. They didn't exactly create the universe, did they? Afaik, they launched life on a planet that existed but was flooded.

So imagine there's a god that created the universe. Now there's a powerful being. The rock paradox could apply to that being.

Mindflayer, gravity is important. I don't care how you call it, but there must be a reason for the god to lift that rock. Without that reason, the god would not need to lift it and could simply go on creating heavy rocks without ever facing the paradox.

Comment

ok, the reason they lift the rock is because they want to

Comment

Originally posted by Mindflayer
                        ok, the reason they lift the rock is because they want to
                        Then wouldn't it be more easy to create a lighter rock?

Comment

Originally posted by Xentor
                          Then wouldn't it be more easy to create a lighter rock?
                          good point.

Comment

yeah... but, what's the fun in that

Comment

GOD: Damn this rock is heavy! What was I thinking?
                              Ben Trismegistus
                              Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

Working...
                              X