Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take eternal torment for someone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you take eternal torment for someone else?

Something I've been pondering for a while.

One story that has greatly effected me is a story I heard about a Muslim man who would pray every night for Allah to put him in hell and to make his body so big that there would be no room for anyone else. At the time I heard this, my head was full of worrying about Fundamentalist Christian ideas about damnation and the attitudes that go along with them. I was really afraid of hell and that I was wrong and they were right.
    This story gave me courage and a new point of view on the concept. This prayer both expresses a belief in this system and challenges it at the same time, while still preserving a certain humility and making Jesus' sacrifice (often held over people) look relitively small.

I've tried asking myself if I could make that sacrifice, and I think the answer is maybe, if I didn't have to think about it too hard. I would like to think that I'm the kind of person who could, but I can't quite comprehend it.

Would you suffer eternal torment for anyone? A friend or loved one? An infinite number of people?
    No, no one.
    44.44%
    I'd do it for a friend or loved one.
    44.44%
    I'd do it for people I didn't know.
    7.41%
    If I didn't have to think about it first.
    3.70%
    Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

For my children, husband or other loved ones - yes. For a friend, I'm not sure. I've been working for many years on trust issues and I have very few, if any, close friends.
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Comment

Personally to take someone's eternal torment is to deny the cycle of life and karma. I accept that friends and relatives have faults and I love them for their array of flaws and yet perfection the next day. That is why I always offer advice to friends and family, and since they are all on the right track I have nothing to worry about. If I had a family member who had spent their life being nasty sadly that is their fate, not mine, and I will not destroy the universal justice by carrying the burden of someone who comprehended what they were doing.It may sound cold, but in life we have to sacrifice.

Comment

I do not believe in eternal torment.
        Never did even while christian.
        It makes no sense to me for a father to torment his children forever and ever.
        Much less the idea that their mother would put up with her children being tormented forever and ever, no matter what they did.

Especially one(God/dess Lord/Lady) of higher value than humans.
        Last edited by ~*Ginger*~; December 5th, 2003, 08:42 AM. Reason: made ya look!

No Regrets!
        Global Glasses

"You can dislike who you wish, hate what you want, or you can practice love, respect and understanding." ~Flar

"I don't abandon or dislike people for hope or love or who they are as a person. Life is too short for that." ~Dru

"When you assume, you make an ass outta you and me" ~ Someone's very intelligent Aunt
        "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

MysticWicks Candle Altar

Compassion is the highest virtue!
        ~ ~ ~

Witchy links 4 You!
        Welcome to my World!
        Something Special!

Do you ever wonder what I wish for?

Want fast, custom web content without writing a single word?

Comment

i think i would..

Comment

I don't believe in eternal torment either, but assuming it could happen - yes, I would take it for a select few: my Mom, fiancee and the one person I would consider my best friend after those two.

Comment

I can't vote on this one because I do not believe in Eternal Torment, full stop.
              To the world you may just be one person - but to one person you may just be the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Muireannach
                Personally to take someone's eternal torment is to deny the cycle of life and karma. I accept that friends and relatives have faults and I love them for their array of flaws and yet perfection the next day. That is why I always offer advice to friends and family, and since they are all on the right track I have nothing to worry about. If I had a family member who had spent their life being nasty sadly that is their fate, not mine, and I will not destroy the universal justice by carrying the burden of someone who comprehended what they were doing.It may sound cold, but in life we have to sacrifice.
                Hmmm, this wasn't a response I was expecting since I do not believe that eternal torment would be part of any "cycle", nor do I think that anyone deserves it, no matter how bad they are. Though I can understand why some believe that there are people that do.

When I asked this question I was thinking in terms of: "What if the extremists are right and anyone who doesn't say the right words or worship the right god or stand on their head at noon every day and quack like a duck is going to hell?"
                My arguement against people like Jack Chick is that there is no clear morality that I can detect in their view of who is going to heaven and who is going to hell, nor is there any clear sign in life of which is the right religion. Thus, any all-powerful god who would allow that system to be would be a cruel god, and the right thing to do would be to oppose him.
                Now in our society it is generally taught that you should do the right thing no matter what the cost, though it is usually implied that you will be rewarded for it eventually, whether it be through promise of a good afterlife, better realtions with people, or having your memory live on after death.

So what I really meant to ask here is, "Is virtue really it's own reward in the face of eternal suffering?"

My Deviantart Page

Comment

I do not believe in eternal torment.
                  I don't really believe in it either, or at least if it exists it is a crummy system and I ain't giving no praise to it's creator. Self-preservation might give me a different attitude if I knew for sure that it did exist, but that is part of my arguement.

My Deviantart Page

Comment

I think I may be doing that already. Once upon a time I used to have dreams of sacrifice and whatnot, but now, I am very confused about my feelings, one thing is for sure, I am suffering to eleviate anothers torment. How long do we hold on for the hope of happyness?
                    In the end the jewels cease to glitter, the gold loses all its luster and all thats left is a fathers love for his daughter

Comment

I totally dont believe in eternal torment. The idea that a 'god' of any sort would do that to it's creation is just horrible! (this comming from the guy with 9 levels of hell... huh...) If such a system existed I dont think I would allow myself to be placed in heck for any level of time for any one! It's not that I dont care, it's just That I Dont Care! Yeesh, if one believes he/she is going to burn let em! But leave me out of it! I also agree that if such a system existed it would be our (as creation) only option but to crush the entity that started it and destroy the followers... I think that might be why I am classified as evil to 9 out of 10 religions.

special thanks to menolly for such a lovely image!

Comment

Nope.
                        "I met a girl who sang the blues
                        and I asked her for some happy news
                        She just smiled and turned away.."

Comment

Well I don't beleive in eternal torment either but it does work as a sort of cycle of jsutice and if you were to take the fall for someone else who knowingly is "evil" then it throws the blaance out of whack. How would the christian heaven be if murderers were in heaven and their family members took the fall in hell? then the whole system would be a barter system therefore making it allllll out of whack.

Comment

While I don't believe in this sort of system, if it did exist you should buy what you paid for.
                            sigpic

Felidae

Comment

If it were a decision I had to make, I wouldn't do it for anybody.

Comment

Working...
                              X