Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you take eternal torment for someone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only person who said they would take it for someone they didn't know?
    I don't claim to believe in any form of eternal torment, but as long as I felt it was good and I should do it, I would.

I have too many real pets so here are my new virtual babies

Comment

Not to put anybody's back up, but I wouldn't do jail time for anybody. I wouldn't repay money someone else stole. I wouldn't die in place of a murderer. Even if it was my own daughter.

We are responsible for our actions.

Anyway, if someone does not pay their own bill; if they dance but do not pay the fiddler; what will they learn and how will they grow?

That's just the way I look at it.
      sigpic

Felidae

Comment

I agree with you on taking eternal torment for someone I didn't know. I have a HUGE heart, even if others think elsewise. I actually took a blow for someone younger than I am, and I didn't even know them!!!
        Goddess, give me the strength to survive another day with every gift you've given me.

Comment

Originally posted by Felidae
          Not to put anybody's back up, but I wouldn't do jail time for anybody. I wouldn't repay money someone else stole. I wouldn't die in place of a murderer. Even if it was my own daughter.

We are responsible for our actions.

Anyway, if someone does not pay their own bill; if they dance but do not pay the fiddler; what will they learn and how will they grow?

That's just the way I look at it.
          My sentiments exactly.
          "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
          Run free and catch the rabbits
          4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Ah, but the original question merely asked if we would do it, not what the person whose place we'd be taking did to deserve it in the first place.

Just for fun, let's say your daughter was condemned to eternal torment simply for not accepting a certain god. No murder, no theft, she simply didn't serve this god. Would that change your mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Shpongle
              Ah, but the original question merely asked if we would do it, not what the person whose place we'd be taking did to deserve it in the first place.

Just for fun, let's say your daughter was condemned to eternal torment simply for not accepting a certain god. No murder, no theft, she simply didn't serve this god. Would that change your mind?
              Oh man, now that's good!

Throws a different light on the entire issue... How funny that I realize the conditioning behind my response after looking at it from this perspective.

And yes, that would change my mind. I'm self-involved, not heartless.
              sigpic

Felidae

Comment

Oh hey - just thought of a twist to my answer:

What if my daughter and I knew beforehand that if she made the decision against serving this god that this would be her fate? To twist it further, would she have not made such a decision based somewhat on her experiences in her formative years, wherein I would the one be responsible for her values and belief system, albeit indirectly. After all, her choice could either be based on my personal beliefs or a result of rebellion against me.

Would I take her place then?

I realize that this throws a slightly Fundamentalist light on the whole issue, and though I am no Fundamentalist I can't say that I could give you a pat "Yes" or "No" at this point...
                sigpic

Felidae

Comment

I realize that this throws a slightly Fundamentalist light on the whole issue, and though I am no Fundamentalist I can't say that I could give you a pat "Yes" or "No" at this point...
                  That does make it more difficult :D - but for me the answer would be the same.

Another thing to consider even in those situations where the person whose you place you'd be taking did something terrible - murder, etc. What if, in seeing your sacrifice and compassion, that person became more enlightened? Realized how wrong they were for doing what they did and spent the rest of their life doing something better?

Of course, that's straying from the original question, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Shpongle
                    That does make it more difficult :D - but for me the answer would be the same.

Another thing to consider even in those situations where the person whose you place you'd be taking did something terrible - murder, etc. What if, in seeing your sacrifice and compassion, that person became more enlightened? Realized how wrong they were for doing what they did and spent the rest of their life doing something better?

Of course, that's straying from the original question, but...
                    Well, to stray even farther:

What if the person was beyond redemption and your sacrifice was wasted?
                    sigpic

Felidae

Comment

Well, to stray even farther:

What if the person was beyond redemption and your sacrifice was wasted?
                      Oops - totally missed your last post!

I guess in this case it all depends on why you make the sacrifice. I would view it like this: on occasion, I give money to people on the street. I hope that they use the money to get food. It's possible they won't; perhaps they'll go and buy booze or drugs. But even if they do, does it take away from my action?

Of course, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                      X