Christianity = Unbalanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity = Unbalanced

I have studied much of the Christian Religion, and I am sorry to say, but the religion is unbalanced and full of many hypocrisies (caused by the borrowing from too many ancient religions)

I am currently working on an article titled: A Critique of Christianity for the Modern Free Thinker

In this article I discuss the religions which led to the creation of christianity (i.e. the Cult of Dionysus)

But another matter is the lack of a female entity. Christianity (many will try to argue against this, but its true) promotes male dominance - which has a history that date backs to the Ancient Greeks -- probably longer, but there is no literature from that time to prove this). God in the Christian eye, is generally seen as a man - and Jesus was a man as well. So first things first, the one and all supreme is a man. Secondly the idea of a virginal birth -- this denies the necessity of vaginal intercourse, and in doing so, denies the importance of the female as well as the balance and harmony that exists during the sexual union of male and female. This is similar to saying that Jesus just appeared frrom midair. Also -- the creation myth blames women for everything? Why? This promotes male dominance as well. Being a man I can say that I have met plenty of women that I consider just as talented if not more so in some cases than I am.

Sooner or later this balance is going to have to be restored...

This brings up some important issues about religion -- Paganism was first and supported the natural male/female balance...which to me shows that it has better grounds for acceptance. (Here we are going to get into the witch burnings and Christian Mass/Forced Conversion during the Medieval times which led to the power that Christianity has in modern times). Christianity is supposed to be "improved" Paganism (this was the thought during the Christian conception being that Paganism was highly practiced and Christianity was a minority religion).

Anyways, I have lots more to say, but I will stop. If anyone is interested in the article please let me know. I will post a .pdf link to it after its completion, copyrighting, and publication.

Thanks and Blessed Be,
    Ash StormRaven

Thanks to CloakofStars9 for the banner!!

www.paganblog.com -- my name on there is Dionysus -- check it out!!

I have heard of some of these things. I'm interested in your article.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash StormRaven
      Secondly the idea of a virginal birth -- this denies the necessity of vaginal intercourse, and in doing so, denies the importance of the female as well as the balance and harmony that exists during the sexual union of male and female. This is similar to saying that Jesus just appeared frrom midair.
      I completely understand your point, and it is my opinion too that Christianity does teach male dominence, without a doubt in my mind.

However, Mary did give life and sustain the fetus that became Jesus for nine months in her womb, and she did give birth, so she did have some role, and what I saw of Catholacism (I was raised Baptist but had friends who were Catholic), women were encouraged to look to Mary as a role model. Well, that would include being a virgin (avoiding sex with men outside of marriage) as a virtue, but she did have a role, be it ever so small. As a Baptist, we did not revere Mary in this way and I was taught it was wrong to do so because it lessened Christ's importance, and he was to be the center role model for men and women. hmmmm....
      ~*SnowyMoon*~

Banner created by SkySilver

"Before I knew it I was laughing freely, standing there, snowflakes coating my hair and brushing my face, as I stood still staring at the sky." ~ Melissa Ray Davis

Mooncup Evangelist.

Comment

I think that the article, to avoid being like many other articles of this nature, should be more balanced in its assessment. I know of Christians and Christian groups that are startlingly free of hypocracy, as are many individuals working within the larger churchs. There are also sections of Christianity that are female centred, like the so-called cult of Mary.

Comment

I'm very interested in your article...keep us updated. *smile* :floating:

Real Magick is not merely an assortment of skills and techniques. It's more like an open-minded attitude, a blend of interest and dedication, which allows each honest mage to observe, to learn, to adapt, and to invent unique ways of changing identity and reality from within.
          ~Jan Fries

Comment

I am going to stay out of here before I defend christianity and get into trouble.
            In the end the jewels cease to glitter, the gold loses all its luster and all thats left is a fathers love for his daughter

Comment

You can defend Christianity and stay out of trouble, man! Just keep it civil.

For instance: Ash Stormraven, if Christianity is unbalanced because it "borrows from too many ancient religions," as you say; and if Paganism is in fact older than Christianity, then how is Paganism any better? Do you consider Paganism as better than Chrsitianity in part because it's older? And if so, why?

I think you'll find plenty of original Pagan faiths that did not support male/female balance that existed around the same time as Christianity. I don't think Zoroastrianism, which was a Pagan religion, was much better. Once again, if Christianity was constructed from other religions of the time, it is no more than a product of its component parts. Therefore those components, which were all Pagan faiths, were the real problem and should be discarded.

Neopaganism addresses the male/female balance well enough. . . but it's had two thousand years to do so. It makes much more sense that religions crafted in more modern times would have an easier time accommodating women's spirituality, since women are accepted as equals in the free world today. If one attempted to spread Paganism to the Middle East, I daresay one would fail simply because the society there is not prepared to accept that concept of equality.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
              The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all convictions, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Comment

Similar thoughts

Hi-

Ash Stormraven, you may find my comments on the time I was a Christian to be relevant. The best info is in the links in chapters 4, 5 and 6, but here is the first chapter:

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/...SE/tjchap1.htm

(There is a link to the next chapter at the end of each chapter).

I also agree with a lot of what Phoenix Blue said - there were certainly some downsides to ancient paganism, and the ancient greeks and romans were terribly misogynist.

I'm looking forward to your article! You may want to treat is as a living document, that you can update and change as your beliefs change.

Blessed be-

-Jon
                -Equinox

I like my spirituality because I think it's true. But I love my spirituality because it makes me excited to be part of the universe.
                - Ben Trimegistus, 2004.2.23 (That's how I feel too!)

What do I believe? Find out on my webpage (here):

In short, I'm a Naturalistic Pagan (OK, now that link is fixed) who has found a spiritual home at a Unitarian Universalist Church.

Useful Data for Pagans:
                Equinox/Solstice Times (click here) rise/set and phase data (click here)

Comment

Originally posted by Equinox
                  I also agree with a lot of what Phoenix Blue said - there were certainly some downsides to ancient paganism, and the ancient greeks and romans were terribly misogynist.

I'm looking forward to your article! You may want to treat is as a living document, that you can update and change as your beliefs change.
                  A very good idea. Being that I am studying the Classics, I think one can make a generalized statememnt and misogyny of the Greeks and Romans. I believe this was more a social ideal rather than a religious ideal. All is balanced on the patheon -- goddess were heavily revered: i.e. the Acropolis is the ultimate temple to Athena. It is perhaps the largest temple to any god or goddess. As far as some of the myster cults, many, but not all, did revere women.

I will treat this as a live document, and as soon as I have time, I will post the first section.

Ash

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix_Blue
                    You can defend Christianity and stay out of trouble, man! Just keep it civil.

For instance: Ash Stormraven, if Christianity is unbalanced because it "borrows from too many ancient religions," as you say; and if Paganism is in fact older than Christianity, then how is Paganism any better? Do you consider Paganism as better than Chrsitianity in part because it's older? And if so, why?
                    Please let me clarify. I by no means intend to say one is better than the other. I am simply offering observations. As for the Cult of Mary, this runs along the lines of Catholicism. Here another argument occurs: some Catholics call themselves Christians, others segregate.

Paganism is older, and from what I understand, has for the most part, included both male and female aspects in the religion (on an equal basis). Or also, the female in higher esteem i.e. Mother Earth -- we are all children of Gaia, etc...

The first major facts here are with Jesus and Dionysus. Dionysus' blood was always called wine and his body bread. I can get sources and documentation for this if need be. Also, he was a martyr for the cult. The Bacchae by Euripides hits along this path some. There are other examples as well, but like I said, I will publish a live article for everyone to enjoy.

Please allow me to clarify my intents. I am by no means trying to hurt anyone. I wish to simply compare Christianity to Paganism in order to show that the religions are quite similar. There are quite a few Christians who think they are the one and only...but I believe this absolutlely untrue...that we are all right.

Chapters are to include:
                    Jesus and Dyonisus
                    The Lack of a Female
                    Prayer and Magick
                    God(s)
                    History of Christian Mass Conversion

Alright this should be fun.

Thanks all,
                    Ahs StormRaven

Comment

Originally posted by Ash StormRaven
                      Paganism is older, and from what I understand, has for the most part, included both male and female aspects in the religion (on an equal basis). Or also, the female in higher esteem i.e. Mother Earth -- we are all children of Gaia, etc...
                      Sounds like it could be a very interesting article. Just please make sure you check all your facts before putting anything together.

For instance, I would disagree that ancient pagan religions held the female in higher esteem. This is true in some cases, but in many ancient religions, the goddesses held subservient roles to the gods.

Also, it might be interesting to explore some of the modern Christian thought that God is *not* solely a male god, but rather an amalgamation of male and female. I would recommend checking out some of the books of Bishop John Shelby Spong, particularly Born of a Woman: A Bishop Rethinks the Virgin Birth and the Treatment of Women by a Male-Dominated Church.
                      Ben Trismegistus
                      Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

Will do and thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                        X