A question about the jewish faith...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the jewish faith...?

Befire I moved, I was enrolled in college, and a religion class. We went to a sinagog (sp?) for the Jewish faith.
    And the Rabbi(?) said that in the jewish faith they are waiting for the dead to rise, and when people are blown up like in bombings (think Isreal and such) the rabbis pick up the peices of the people b/c they will rise from the dead when the mesiah comes. But what if the body is nothing but bones or ash? how can it rise then?

FOR THE HORDE!
    "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
    www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
    AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
    :deviltail

Um, that's horrifying. I was raised Jewish, but I've never heard anything like that.

I do know that Jews take their burials very seriously, and perhaps that's why.
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

I never heard that either. I have heard that bodys have to be buried facing towards Isarel so they know which way it is.
      Better Know a Child Ballad

My Deviantart Page

Comment

Hello. I’m a former Orthodox Jewish fundamentalist.

Originally posted by WhiteDragon
        And the Rabbi(?) said that in the jewish faith they are waiting for the dead to rise, and when people are blown up like in bombings (think Isreal and such) the rabbis pick up the peices of the people b/c they will rise from the dead when the mesiah comes. But what if the body is nothing but bones or ash? how can it rise then?
        It is the general wish for the dead to be buried as complete as possible, but if that is not possible, then religious Jews trust that God is omnipotent enough to reconstruct the body without remains. Burying the dead intact is a matter of honouring the dead more than it matters for the resurrection—leaving the body unburied, or cremating it, is regarded as an insult to the dead person.

Comment

Synagogue, Rabbi, Great Simon n Garfunkle lyrics by the way, and Hello from Manchester England.
          Love is the best invention ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Heathen Dawn
            Hello. I’m a former Orthodox Jewish fundamentalist.
            I thought you were a former atheist....?

Comment

Originally posted by oedipus rex
              I thought you were a former atheist....?
              That too. My religious CV so far: atheist → Orthodox Jewish fundamentalist monotheist → atheist → spiritualist monotheist.

Comment

That too. My religious CV so far: atheist → Orthodox Jewish fundamentalist monotheist → atheist → spiritualist monotheist.
                I'm a spiritual monotheist as well!

Comment

ok so God would givew them new bodies to walk around in?

FOR THE HORDE!
                  "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
                  www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
                  AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
                  :deviltail

Comment

Originally posted by velvetmirage
                    I'm a spiritual monotheist as well!
                    Spiritualist, you mean? Glad to see there are more people like me who believe in the ability to communicate with the afterlife!

ok so God would givew them new bodies to walk around in?
                    Yes, that’s what Orthodox Jews believe.

Comment

Back to White Dragon

Befire I moved, I was enrolled in college, and a religion class. We went to a sinagog (sp?) for the Jewish faith.
                      Being a Yeshiva bachur, I've heard many takes on the resurrection trip. Not all are either reasonable or even sensible. Most, I think, feel resurection is spiritual, that is, it is the soul which is resurected or reincarnated (take your choice)
                      It is ,however, a matter of honoring the dead when such great pains is taken to return as mush as possible of a persons body for burial. In this way we also honor the living.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamus MacNemi
                        Being a Yeshiva bachur, I've heard many takes on the resurrection trip. Not all are either reasonable or even sensible. Most, I think, feel resurection is spiritual, that is, it is the soul which is resurected or reincarnated (take your choice)
                        It is ,however, a matter of honoring the dead when such great pains is taken to return as mush as possible of a persons body for burial. In this way we also honor the living.
                        It is also a matter of hygene

Comment

Spiritualist, you mean? Glad to see there are more people like me who believe in the ability to communicate with the afterlife!

Yes, that’s what Orthodox Jews believe.
                          Nope, spiritual, I actually don't believe in afterlife communication as I believe in reincarnation and so the "afterlife" is moving to the "next life" and afterlife communication could only occur if you got lucky enough to find out who they reincarnated as and called them up on the phone. (ok, I'm confused now...... ) Spiritual, not religious as I don't fall under the category of any particular religion, I have my own specific set of beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                          X