Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Christians And Their View Of Pagans - Thats It!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh!! The fiery idealism of youth!!!
    Your post,dear moonhaze,reminds me a great deal of my own daughter(14)...so I'm sitting here with a smile on my face and mixed emotions about you could've handled the situation...
    Like another poster said in this thread..I think it's a bit odd that the teacher ASKED are there any other religions being practiced by the students in her class..that sounds to me also that she was trying to ferret out an opportunity to proselytize..rather than to promote open discussion on diverse belief systems..She IS,after all,a teacher in a school that promotes one specific faith to the exclusion of others...
    My own kid,who is VERY feisty,and I have had to talk over how to handle such situations..
    I will advise you the same as I advised her..
    Because of events beyond your control,you are stuck going to a school that you wouldn't choose for yourself.(my kid goes to a public school-but believe me there is plenty of bigotry in those too)..
    At your tender age,your FIRST and foremost duty to yourself is to get through school,get a good education,and move on to a productive life..one day,moonhaze,you will be a free adult in complete control of your own destiny...and THEN you will be able to move into the social and religious circles that honor and respect your beliefs...and even then,sadly,there will be times that you will have to sugar coat your words to smooth things out with co-workers,aquaintances,etc...people that you have to deal with on a daily basis who aren't a part of your inner circle of friends and loved ones..
    Like mol said..it's the labels that get us into trouble...
    Perhaps you could refer to yourself as "agnostic" until you are out of a religious school setting??I know that could still cause problems,but not with such intensity,and you still wouldn't be exactly lying about your beliefs..because,in a way,you ARE agnostic..still trying to figure things out spiritually,learning and exploring,questioning the meaning of life so to speak...(I know I'm kind of distorting the classic definition of agnosticism here..but am just trying to help you find wording that will get you through school,LOL)
    Well, I hope things smooth out for you ..and I am proud of your courage and conviction...I just feel that what is most important for you right now is to get through school...start on a fantastic career that you love...so that you can achieve independance and control of your own destiny...
    (and I've GOTTA ask..how did your folks react to your detention??)
    Best of luck to you feisty one!!
    Tesh

If God is a D.J.
    Life is the dancer,
    Love is the music...

( from Pink's "If God is a DJ" )
    * thanks to Enchanted Echoes and Laurelai for the info!! *

Comment

Oi....

* Blink In! *

Darling Elizabeth....

I think your very brace actually. But then again, you live in a dangerous neighborhood, sometimes you can bring nasty attention to yourself without meaning to.

Be careful sweet heart, and stay well!

Blessed Be....
      )O(

* Blink Out! *

- Jeremy Westenn
      Last edited by Jeremy Westenn; February 28th, 2004, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moonhaze
        WARNING: If you would not like to read an open rant and opinion, I suggest reading elsewhere. Oh, and sorry for some cursing. If I get kicked out of the community for it, then so be it. But I've got a good reason.

Thank You.

This drama about Christians judging pagans has driven me up the wall.

I go to a private, christian school. Today in, what do you know, BIBLE, the teacher asked out loud "Do any of you follow a seperate religion?"

Being the open minded thirteen year old girl that I am, I raised my hand. "Yes, Elizabeth? What religions do you follow?" "Paganism." And, naturally, people turned and held scowled/confused looks on their faces. Then the teacher has an upset face. "Elizabeth - Paganism?" "Yeah..." "And why Paganism?" "I don't feel like explaining my religion in the classroom. Its innapropriate, and its not your place anyway. All I can say is that I study Paganism, and I'm not afraid to say it either."

She didn't say anything, but then pulled me by the arm after class when everyone went to lunch. "I think you need a new lesson on religion. Come with me."

That damn woman PULLED ME BY THE ARM in her class, sat me down, and gave me a whole lecture on how Paganism is wrong and I shouldn't be participating in it and to follow Chrisitianity because there is only one true God and blah blah blah.

"Well, you know what? I'm following Paganism, whether you like it or not. Its my life, not yours. Your not my mamma, so don't be telling me what religion to follow and crap. Get your nose out of my business, and if you DON'T, expect some serious trouble comming your way." "No...I think your mistaken. The trouble is comming YOUR way..."

And she wrote me up. I've got detention and some bad notes written on my permanent record.

Damn this shit. I'm tired of it.
        I went to Catholic schools when I was young. Just to let you know, legally she does have the right to say what she did. When you go to a privately funded school, they have all kinds of leeway that isn't granted in public schools. I understand your anger, but consider the fact that she has ultimate faith in her religion, so she feels that you are being corrupted by some "outside influence." Respect the fact that she is willing to profess her faith to all. However, you don't have to "take to heart" what she says. She is obviously misinformed about what Paganism is, so she makes incorrect assumptions. By no means are you the one to inform her, as she'd probably never give your explanation any credence.
        Even if she doesn't have the ability or will to respect you or your religion, don't sink to her level and reciprocate that treatment. Treat her with respect and kindness. She doesn't know what she does wrong, so try not to hold it against her. Anger and frustration get us no where. Try to practice kindness and respect and generosity, and know in your heart that is what Paganism teaches as well.
        I hope that I was of some help.
        I know that it sounds as if I think you should just let her treat you the way she did; nevertheless, she is an elder in a place of education. You must understand that ignorance runs rampant in our world, but anger and vengence will not solve the ignorance.

peace and love,
        amber
        Last edited by ambermystique; February 29th, 2004, 12:12 AM.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~Never Trust a Naked Bus Driver~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Moonhaze I commend you for standing up for waht you believe in. It is important to do so.
          Something you need to know is that most christians do not know anything about paganism.
          what we are taught is that Paganism is the church of the "Devil" We are taught that it is "Evil" and that Pagans are going to hell. We are taught to FEAR Paganism. You see we are taught that muslims are mislead but Pagans are the "Devils Children." just as we are "Gods children".
          So when a christrian tries to convert you he or she is just trying to save your soul.
          Please do not judge all christians by the actions of ignorance, they just don't know anybetter.
          I am sorry that you were mistreated in such a manner. espescially at such a young age.
          I am a christian and am trying to learn all I can about what paganism really is.
          I am greatful to find the people here to be gracious and non judgementle.
          your creede is to do no harm. as is the christian saying do unto others as you would have done to you.
          I am interested in anything you may beable to teach me about what you believe.
          feel free to send me a message.
          sincerely, your friendly christian friend.
          The Good Wife.

M.W. is my addiction!

I don't know how to spell, and it takes to long to look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Crystal_Raye
            Yay for you. Give yourself a pat on the back for standing up for your religion (although Paganism isn't really a religion).
            It isn't...?

Comment

Originally posted by Teshuva3D
              Oh!! The fiery idealism of youth!!!
              Your post,dear moonhaze,reminds me a great deal of my own daughter(14)...so I'm sitting here with a smile on my face and mixed emotions about you could've handled the situation...
              Like another poster said in this thread..I think it's a bit odd that the teacher ASKED are there any other religions being practiced by the students in her class..that sounds to me also that she was trying to ferret out an opportunity to proselytize..rather than to promote open discussion on diverse belief systems..She IS,after all,a teacher in a school that promotes one specific faith to the exclusion of others...
              My own kid,who is VERY feisty,and I have had to talk over how to handle such situations..
              I will advise you the same as I advised her..
              Because of events beyond your control,you are stuck going to a school that you wouldn't choose for yourself.(my kid goes to a public school-but believe me there is plenty of bigotry in those too)..
              At your tender age,your FIRST and foremost duty to yourself is to get through school,get a good education,and move on to a productive life..one day,moonhaze,you will be a free adult in complete control of your own destiny...and THEN you will be able to move into the social and religious circles that honor and respect your beliefs...and even then,sadly,there will be times that you will have to sugar coat your words to smooth things out with co-workers,aquaintances,etc...people that you have to deal with on a daily basis who aren't a part of your inner circle of friends and loved ones..
              Like mol said..it's the labels that get us into trouble...
              Perhaps you could refer to yourself as "agnostic" until you are out of a religious school setting??I know that could still cause problems,but not with such intensity,and you still wouldn't be exactly lying about your beliefs..because,in a way,you ARE agnostic..still trying to figure things out spiritually,learning and exploring,questioning the meaning of life so to speak...(I know I'm kind of distorting the classic definition of agnosticism here..but am just trying to help you find wording that will get you through school,LOL)
              Well, I hope things smooth out for you ..and I am proud of your courage and conviction...I just feel that what is most important for you right now is to get through school...start on a fantastic career that you love...so that you can achieve independance and control of your own destiny...
              (and I've GOTTA ask..how did your folks react to your detention??)
              Best of luck to you feisty one!!
              Tesh
              Lets just say it wasn't pretty.

To everyone who has posted, I greatly appreciate all you have said to me. I am literally in tears now, just hearing your supporting words. I've read every word of every post numerous times. I know that I need to hold my head up, but its been very rough lately. Now, I realize that everyone in this community are the nicest, caring people I have ever talked to, and I will try my best to help you as much as you helped me whenever you have a problem in your life.

Blessed Be,

MoonHaze

Comment

Well, I look at it both ways, first of all your teacher asked and you told right? She had no right to make a futile attempt to convert you thats true, I've never been afraid to say that I was a Pagan, however and I made this up myself this is my own little saying "Those who wake a hybernating bear with a stick can expect to get mauled." Meaning that sometimes its better to exercise some caution and not charge into everybody and everything. I've learned that very painfully sometimes LOL! I'm not trying to offend you, and I definitely applaud your courage.
                Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
                "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

Working...
                X