Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayers, Saints and Reincarnation

So I've sorta been thinking...

You know how people pray to saints, or figures who influenced them. And they say that they sense this specific figure's/saint's presence during prayer/meditation, etc.. Or say they see them in a dream and say that this specific person came to them with a message or to aid them, etc...

Well, assuming reincarnation exists - and that these figures, people, saints, etc all reincarnated - Then how would people sense them, communicate with them and speak to them via prayers, meditation, dreams and even divination...?

I hope that made sense...

Originally posted by Morr
    Well, assuming reincarnation exists - and that these figures, people, saints, etc all reincarnated - Then how would people sense them, communicate with them and speak to them via prayers, meditation, dreams and even divination...?
    Well, your question involves two conflicting systems. People who pray to saints don't believe in reincarnation. Therefore there's no confusion for them.

My personal theory is that reincarnation exists but is not definite. The afterlife is more on an individual basis - some reincarnate, some stick around and bug their living relatives, some go to nirvana/heaven/summerlands, etc.
    Ben Trismegistus
    Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

Here's how I reconcile the entire idea, from a little essay I wrote:

I don't feel that our souls reincarnate wholly after death. Once we are free of human form, I believe that our energy goes to Summerland, the Otherworld, whatever you choose to call it, and then splits: part stays to rest and muse on what we have been taught in the last lifetime, and the part of the soul/consciousness that did not learn the lesson it needed to returns to Earth in whatever human form is necessary for them to learn it. To me, this is how you can pray/talk to Ancestors and family members, etc. who have died, yet still subscribe to the "spiral" nature of life. Once all the lessons have been learned, the energy rejoins in the Summerland and becomes part of the land itself. My "heaven" is composed of beauty, obtained by souls who have reached the pinnacle of reincarnation--actually becoming Summerland itself.
      :weirdsmil

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Trismegistus
        Well, your question involves two conflicting systems. People who pray to saints don't believe in reincarnation. Therefore there's no confusion for them.

true, but just because they dont believe theres reincarnation, doesnt mean that reincarnation doesnt exist... if this effects their spiritual experience - then we can all say that because we believe in the gods - we sense them during rituals, etc..

and that sorts of kills all religion in general - our experience of Divine based only on our dogmatic/spiritual beliefs, and nothing more...

i dont even know if that made sense AT ALL...

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
          true, but just because they dont believe theres reincarnation, doesnt mean that reincarnation doesnt exist... if this effects their spiritual experience - then we can all say that because we believe in the gods - we sense them during rituals, etc..
          I used to feel that way - "Just because you don't believe in my Goddess doesn't mean she doesn't exist!" - but I've moved away from that. Now I think that people create their own spiritual reality. For a Catholic, my Goddess doesn't exist, and reincarnation doesn't exist, and saints do.

We can't say for sure that reincarnation exists, or that any of it exists, so all we can do is hold on to our own beliefs.
          Ben Trismegistus
          Super-Cool Retired Admin Type

R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Find out what it means to me. Click here.

Check out my former rock band, Wayward Sun!

Comment

saints

I died,It was only for a day and it seemed like a minute but spirits do live and reincarnate if they want or cling to their earthly body in the grave.....

Comment

lednevir are you serious?

I'm very interested in out of body experiences and have desperately wanted to talk to someone who has had one.

Did you really die? What was it like? What did you hear or see. I'd really like to know

~Thankyou WynnJera and Faeawyn for these beautiful banners!~

*I will walk the paths of Lilitu. Where ever she may tread I shall follow. . .*

"Love is sprung from our inmost heart
              Until only the loved one is and we are not." ~Gilgamesh

"Though she is but one, she can do all things, and while remaining in herself she renews all things... she reaches mightily from one end of the world to the other, and she orders all things well" (Book of Wisdom of Solomon, 7:27 8:1)

*Symbols connect us to mystery and to the very farthest horizens of conceivable meaning*

Comment

Working...
              X