• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.Friedrich Nietzsche
    2. Max Stirner
    3. John Gray
    4. Paul Sartre
    5. David Hume.
    Hypocrisy can only exist in a moral world. In a amoral world there is no hypocrisy.

Comment

• My favorite philosopher would have to be Jesus. He preached a gospel of love and tolerance. Jesus was definitely a liberal too. He was definitely a liberal by the standards of his time and more than likely by the standards of our time as well although the fundies would definitely deny this. Contrary to popular fundie belief, he never preached against homosexuality or abortion or any of the other conservative hot button issues. So, Jesus is most definitely my favorite philosopher.

Comment

• Cor! A thread about philosophers as if they were celebrities! Brilliant!

My favourite would have to be the one that first made me really ‘think’, not just the mental process but the application of thought in pursuit of original ideas, and that was Baruch Spinoza. He introduced me to Pantheism and the application of logic and gave me my first epiphany. Today I can see the flaws in his work but I will always hold him in high esteem.

Others that have also helped me make sense of the world would include Ludwig Wittgenstein for his very original thought, Rene Descartes, Plato and Kant for introducing me to the moral imperative.

Comment

• 1. Aristotle
          2. Nietzsche
          3. Marcus Aurelius
          4. Confucius

Comment

• Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, Antonio Gramsci, Carl von Clausewitz, Thucydides, Hans Morgenthau, Slavoj Zizek, Michael Foucault, Jean Baudrillard, Paul Virilio, Machiavelli and John Gray.
            "Polidori once asked Byron what, besides scribble verses, he could do better than Polidori himself. Byron icily replied: 'Three things. First, I can hit with a pistol the keyhole of that door. Secondly, I can swim across that river to yonder point. And thirdly, I can give you a damned good thrashing.'"

Comment

• Nietzsche... without a doubt.
              Of coarse, I do not always agree with him I am on the same page as him when it comes to some principal things.
              Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• socrates
                lao tzu
                spinoza

Comment

• Martin Heidegger

Comment

• Neitchze, and also Socrates for his contribution of the Socratic Method.
                    Per Mare, Per Terras!!!

Feel Free to PM me with your request

*sigh* I finally did it... thar be my dragons, pwease qwick them... I don't want to go to jail for neglect... what'd a dragon ever do to you??

Your friendly solitary non-traditional eclectic.

"Follow me into the depths of insanity, leave beliefs and apprehensions at the door"- quoth the ocelot

Comment

• It's terrible that I don't know more of the classics.

As such, I will have to say Jung, et al.

Register to be a potential bone marrow/stem cell donor!
                      It's painless and free--and could save the life of someone with a blood disorder.

and in the wind, I hear those crows
                      they will bring the spring, and take the cold away...

Comment

• Soren Kirkegaard
                        msn: [email protected]
                        Yahoo:[email protected]

Understanding is a spring of life for those who have it... Proverbs 16:22

To everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under the sun Ecclesiastes 3:1

Comment

• Gotta love Voltaire.
                          "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Comment

• Carl Jung, Leo Tolstoy, Buddha( Siddhartha Gautama), Jesus, Voltaire, Lao Zu, and many of the transcendentalist thinkers.

I am rather opposed to Nietzsche.
                            Last edited by Riothamus; September 2nd, 2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X