Breastfeeding rooms hidden in health care law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding rooms hidden in health care law

(CNN) -- With her 5-week-old daughter crying in a bathroom at Nordstrom, and not knowing how to get the baby to latch on to her breast, Garima Nahar found herself surrounded by other women. Some offered tips, but one woman told the new mother to cover up or turn the other way.

"I had to kind of hide my tears and just be brave in front of her, because, you know what, 'I have a crying baby and I don't want to deal with you right now,' " said Nahar, a software manager in Chicago, Illinois.

(...)

Nursing mothers will now get additional support, thanks to page 1239 of the health care bill that President Obama recently signed into law. It requires employers to provide "a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from co-workers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk." Only companies with less than 50 employees can claim it's an undue hardship.
    Link

The woman that told her to cover up is obviously a sexist bigot.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Comment

I agree Vamp. A lot of women are extremely uncomfortable/queasy with the idea of breastfeeding, and I think it's because we've had this "formula bottle feeding" stereotype fora few decades.

Most women these days didn't grow up thinking about breasts as anything other than sexual objects. It gets frustrating when your own species says shit to you simply for you trying to feed your baby.

>> I think it's a good thing babies take two arms... otherwise I'd have smacked her.
      Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Kraheera View Post
        I agree Vamp. A lot of women are extremely uncomfortable/queasy with the idea of breastfeeding, and I think it's because we've had this "formula bottle feeding" stereotype fora few decades.

Most women these days didn't grow up thinking about breasts as anything other than sexual objects. It gets frustrating when your own species says shit to you simply for you trying to feed your baby.

>> I think it's a good thing babies take two arms... otherwise I'd have smacked her.
        Lol agreed. I had to feed kit in walmart once and someone started giving me shit about it even though I was covered. My husband jumped right to my rescue though I thought he was going to knock the woman out lol.

Comment

I wonder how much this is really going to help. For example, the company I work for is in a secured facility and family is NOT permitted beyond the guard gate. And honestly (women can correct me here if you want) but how many mother's really take their infants to work??? As a soon-to-be dad with a woman who will be breastfeeding, I think it's great to be considerate of this need ... however I feel this is nothing more than a marketing ploy to help push through a healthcare bill.

Having said that, how about we (as Americans) get the hell over this stigma of a woman's breasts? I think a mother breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural, and wonderful thing and is NOTHING to be ashamed of or be taunted over. I'm less in favor of a bill that will make it even more of a taboo and more in favor of getting over this idea that a woman shouldn't be allowed to feed her child.

Comment

Originally posted by Pagan Warrior View Post
            I wonder how much this is really going to help. For example, the company I work for is in a secured facility and family is NOT permitted beyond the guard gate. And honestly (women can correct me here if you want) but how many mother's really take their infants to work??? As a soon-to-be dad with a woman who will be breastfeeding, I think it's great to be considerate of this need ... however I feel this is nothing more than a marketing ploy to help push through a healthcare bill.

When they are speaking about workplace breastfeeding room, they mean so that a working mother can go to a room to PUMP in peace. Not necessarily that you will be breastfeeding in those rooms.

The requirements are that it be a room that can provide privacy, an outlet for electrical pumps, and that the workplace have a refridgerator available for storage of said milk.

This is a GOOD thing, as many work places do not provide these things, and so women choose to not breastfeed because they have no feasible way of pumping at work.
            Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I breastfed all three of my boys. My MIL used to have the nerve to imply that I was being lazy to breastfeed them. Because back in the day when SHE was raising her kids she had to boil the bottles and scrub them with toothbrushes and etc etc. It was quite comical. I find it hard to believe a woman would think ill of someone breastfeedig their own child, especially in a ladys sitting room. What a twit! Its crazy the way we are so uptight about something that is a natural thing!
              I think its great that there are going to be places provided for women to that. I did get uncomfortable about having to *flop it out* in public to feed my child, but it never stopped me.
              daphne
              Last edited by daphnerose; April 13th, 2010, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daphnerose View Post
                I breastfed all three of my boys. My MIL used to have the nerve to imply that I was being lazy to breastfeed them. Because back in the day when SHE was raising her kids she had to boil the bottles and scrub them with toothbrushes and etc etc. It was quite comical. I find it hard to believe a woman would think ill of someone breastfeedig their own child, especially in a ladys sitting room. What a twit! Its crazy the way we are so uptight about something that is a natural thing!
                I think its great that there are going to be places provided for women to that. I did get uncomfortable about having to *flop it out* in public to feed my child, but it never stopped me.
                daphne

*giggle*

Flop it out. Oh so true. *more giggling while tugging out the breastfeeding mom card* I soooo want to get some surgery to fix what breastfeeding did to me someday.

Ahem. Moving on.

Comment

Someone actually had the audacity to tell me that "breastfeeding is barbaric because we have formula nowadays."
                  So I simply asked them if they think sex is barbaric as well seeing as how we have artificial insemination these days...

The nerve of some people. [And the stupidity].
                  i am not a pretty girl. that's not what i do. i ain't no damsel in distress and i don't need to be rescued. so put me down, punk. perhaps you'd prefer a maiden fair... isn't there a kitten stuck up a tree somewhere? --ani difranco
                  The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
                  Alice Kingsley: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are..."

Comment

this is good, the sooner we get people used to it, the sooner most people will hopefully stop being immature a-holes about it.
                    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
                    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pagan Warrior View Post

Having said that, how about we (as Americans) get the hell over this stigma of a woman's breasts? I think a mother breastfeeding is a beautiful, natural, and wonderful thing and is NOTHING to be ashamed of or be taunted over. I'm less in favor of a bill that will make it even more of a taboo and more in favor of getting over this idea that a woman shouldn't be allowed to feed her child.

man that bolded part was beautiful, your lady is very lucky to have you.:uhhuhuh:
                      Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
                      "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Comment

5 kids.... breast feed them all.... my oldest is 34. That said, I have seen and experienced many things and attitudes over the years. Slowly, very slowly it's gotten better. More and more people are accepting it. Sure, If your "showing off" your breast... not good, but most woman try to be discreet. Hopefully, in another generation, it will be as excepted as anyone else who wants to eat!

One very good thing I had going for me was my dad's mother! I was breastfeeding at her house one day and she came in the room and we started to talk about it. Turned out she was a Wet Nurse! (Someone who breast feeds other peoples babies.) Boy, was that an eye opener!!! The controversy has been going on since about the 1920's! And during the depression they were really pushing bottle feeding at a time when often people had a hard time feeding their families. Many babies starved because mothers would try to "stretch" the formula out by adding more water. A problem that still happens among the poor today.

And yes, I do think that the more we "sexualized" woman's breast, the harder it is to except that they are really there to feed offspring!
                        Last edited by Cindlady2; April 15th, 2010, 11:24 AM.
                        We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
                        (\_/) (\_/)
                        (O.o) ( _ )
                        (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
                        Green Room Forum Guide
                        The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Cindlady2 View Post
                          Many babies starved because mothers would try to "stretch" the formula out by adding more water. A problem that still happens among the poor today.
                          Lower-income women need more and better access to accurate information about breastfeeding, because often they are not getting from their doctors. I was really pressured to formula-feed, not because it was "better" or even as good, but because WIC formula is free. I was told to breastfeed I'd have to rent a pump and buy bras, nursing clothes, pads, cushions, stools, lanolin and all kinds of ridiculous accessories, and that I couldn't "afford" breastfeeding.

Let's think about the horrible implications of that statement. Just take the formula because it's free, and you can't afford to breastfeed.

I wonder what kind of training goes into becoming a lactation consultant?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Comment

Breast pumps, quality ones anyways, ARE expensive. I wish WIC would put money into THOSE, instead of just formula. But yes, overall breastfeeding is MUCH less expensive than formula feeding. All the bottles, the formula... gah. I have only bought formula for 3 months, and I HATE it... damn drying up issues!

Fortunately MY lactation consultant was a wonderful woman. She gave us information on where to find pumps for sale or rent.

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate here, I wonder if these rooms will actually send us backward. They certainly will not help with acceptance. Only regular exposure (pun intended) will help inure people enough to make it more commonly accepted I think.

I don't want to go to some room. I want to nurse where I am, this is the convenient part of nursing. I don't have to go make a bottle, I can just "flop it out" and keep right on talking, eating, grocery shopping (thank you sling), etc. I don't want to stop what I'm doing and go to some room and sit for half an hour.

I'm sorry, I don't like it. It's putting women who breastfeed apart, yet again. I think places for families and children in the workplace is wonderful, but segregation by law is bull no matter how you word it, and while this law does not say that it will be required to go there, the public backlash will almost certainly be "there's a room for that now, why don't you go in there". And then I have to be snarky to some bi***-in-a-snit and nobody wants to see that.
                              "He drew a circle that shut me out
                              Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
                              But love and I had the wit to win;
                              We drew a circle that took him in."

-- Edwin Markham

Comment

Working...
                              X