Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police find clues in potential car bomb vehicle (NYC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police find clues in potential car bomb vehicle (NYC)

(CNN) -- A T-shirt vendor who noticed smoke coming out of a dark green sport utility vehicle alerted police to what turned out to be a potential bomb placed in the city's iconic Times Square -- teeming with tourists and theater-goers on a balmy spring evening.

"We avoided what could have been a very deadly event," said Mayor Michael Bloomberg early Sunday morning. "It certainly could have exploded and had a pretty big fire and a decent amount of explosive impact."

The atmosphere at Times Square returned to normal Sunday, but questions remained about the contents of the vehicle.

Two federal officials said Sunday it was too early to tell whether the incident involved al Qaeda or another international terror group. The national threat level remained at yellow, or elevated.

"We're taking this very seriously," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said in an interview on CNN's "State of the Union," noting that the New York police, FBI and federal Joint Terrorism Task Force were involved in the investigation. "We're treating it as if it could be a potential terrorist attack."
    Link

I don't know if this is forgein terrorism. Some of the reports seem to go against that idea. For example two separate al-qaida groups independently taking credit. Had AQ really done this, I think they could have gotten their story straight. There weren't many threats really against NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Iulia Regilia View Post
      I don't know if this is forgein terrorism. Some of the reports seem to go against that idea. For example two separate al-qaida groups independently taking credit. Had AQ really done this, I think they could have gotten their story straight. There weren't many threats really against NYC.
      Misinformation is one of the best tools terrorists have. You assume that two different locations of AQ claiming this mean that their stories weren't straight, when in fact, both might have been. The two groups could have been responsible for different parts of the plan. They could both be taking claim to keep authorities from figuring out who really is responsible by wasting time and manpower on dead ends. Or neither of them did it but they are banking on the unlikelihood of the real culprit getting caught right away and want to bask in the glow.
      Brought to you by the
      National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
      Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
      Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
      You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
      It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
      I am aware of how nasty I come across.
      If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
      I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Comment

Originally posted by C. Iulia Regilia
        I don't know if this is forgein terrorism.
        To be honest, I'm pretty sure it isn't. My money's on it being a "lone wolf" terrorist ... probably of the extreme right-wing variety ... who is up to this for his own delusional reasons.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
        The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all convictions, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Blue View Post
          To be honest, I'm pretty sure it isn't. My money's on it being a "lone wolf" terrorist ... probably of the extreme right-wing variety ... who is up to this for his own delusional reasons.
          That and some actual troublemakers from Pakistan or whatever's being claimed for this in the news this hour would probably come up with something that would actually explode instead of the bumbling Rube Goldberg device the guy seems to have rigged up.

I'm sorta bracing for people to trip over themselves to explain how it isn't terrorism if they end up arresting a WASP over it, though.
          Patrick Stewart
          {Historian|Writer|Memeticist|Artist|Transhumanist|Blogger} {in}errant
          Homo sum: humani nil alienum a me puto
          "Every generation has the obligation to free men's minds for a look at new worlds... to look out from a higher plateau than the last generation." - Ellison S. Onizuka
          "The scorn of Nazis is a benediction." - Little Billy
          "Squick is not a valid moral compass." - Chamelaeon

Did I really just attack you?

Today's Logical Fallacy: Appeal to Consequences

Comment

Updates:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/04/...pt=T1&iref=BN1
            "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
            Run free and catch the rabbits
            4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Aaaand cue the "This is a government conspiracy to ramp up support for military action in Pakistan" crowd...
              JFGI

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix Blue View Post
                Well, damn, was I ever wrong.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
                The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                The best lack all convictions, while the worst
                Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Comment

Best of both worlds with this guy, he started out foreign, became a citizen, and then engged in terrorism. Now there will be more misinformation as they try and "attribute" just who he may have been attached to and the preset "martyrs" get tried in the court of public opinion. And the game continues.
                  Brought to you by the
                  National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
                  Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
                  Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
                  You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
                  It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
                  I am aware of how nasty I come across.
                  If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
                  I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Comment

Working...
                  X