Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bridge evacuated after U-Haul abandoned..are we becoming too paranoid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge evacuated after U-Haul abandoned..are we becoming too paranoid?

New York (CNN) -- Authorities have determined that a moving truck abandoned on the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, formerly known as Triborough Bridge, did not pose a threat.

Police closed off the bridge for about two hours in both directions after being made aware of the incident around 10 p.m. Wednesday.

The department's bomb squad was called to the scene after a toll booth operator who approached the U-Haul truck smelled a strong odor of gasoline, said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

Police X-rayed the truck, then examined it thoroughly -- including cutting a hole in the side of the truck to see whether it had an explosive device.

"There's no explosive devices of any kind on any part of the vehicle," he said.

Police will now move the truck to reopen the bridge to traffic.
    Link

Two part thread. First I wanted to post the story as it was in the news today. Secondly, I wanted to ask if we are becoming too paranoid of terrorism, or if its better to be safe rather than sorry? Thoughts? How far is too far?

Too paranoid, absolutely.

This is nothing new from Americans. At least from the ones I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacredsin View Post
      Link

Two part thread. First I wanted to post the story as it was in the news today. Secondly, I wanted to ask if we are becoming too paranoid of terrorism, or if its better to be safe rather than sorry? Thoughts? How far is too far?
      Let's see, we had a bomb in an abandonded SUV in New York and it turned out to be a real bomb. Then we have an abandoned truck under suspicious circumstances and we are too paranoid for closing the bridge off to check it out?

Maybe from now on we should only investigate after something has actually exploded. Hope no one is planting bombs near your homes, places of work, etc. Sarcasm aside, it might be a little paranoid had there not been a recent bombing attempt in NYC.

The person who pulled this little stunt was either doing a prank based on that event, or they were doing a dry run just as Faisal Shahzad did before he tried to bomb Times Square.

Nor does paranoia apply. We have homegrown terrorists, foreign terrorist, lone nuts, and hostility on every side. Paranoia is the unreasonable fear the people are out to get us. People really are out to get others here.

Are we overly cautious? Some would say so others would not. Its the difference between being proactive and reactive. Every time we get complacent and think its all covered, someone else tries to blow up something else, or shoots up another school, or burns down another church, or something else involving death and dismemberment. So we start being watchful again, and people call us paranoid.
      Brought to you by the
      National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
      Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
      Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
      You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
      It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
      I am aware of how nasty I come across.
      If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
      I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

Comment

I believe it is paranoia out of neccesity on the governments part. What happens if they didn't do all of that, there was a bomb and it blew up and killed people. The NYPD, the city, the county, the state, the mayor, and the governor would all be sued, there would be outrage.
        There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

NYC is extremely cautious and with good reason; this city has alot of people concentrated into a smallish area. I do find it amusing that people call us paranoid, though. Unfortunately it's the world we live in today and I'd rather be alert and aware than complacent and a victim. The U-haul that was abandoned smelled of gasoline and someone was seen running away from it. On top of that it on the Triborough bridge and our bridges are taken very seriously. If that makes us paranoid then I'm okay with it.
          "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
          Run free and catch the rabbits
          4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

I hope no one was really offended by the question. I was not asserting that I thought anyone was paranoid, I was simply asking if anyone felt these safety measures were bordering on paranoia.

Comment

For sure, the government has become the over protective, paranoid, kid-coddling soccer mom.

They don't just have band-aids anymore, they covered the soccer field in bubble wrap, we're all on the same team, there are no losers, and we have to wear slippers...

But as Memnoch said, what if they didn't? and it did end up being something sinister...

Comment

Originally posted by Sacredsin View Post
                I hope no one was really offended by the question. I was not asserting that I thought anyone was paranoid, I was simply asking if anyone felt these safety measures were bordering on paranoia.
                Not offended at all Sacred and I think we are a bit of over-cautious here, but if the cops/Feds/coast guard/EMS, etc. weren't on point 24/7 here, NY'ers wouldn't tolerate it. Paranoid or not, we get alot of shit thrown our way here.
                "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
                Run free and catch the rabbits
                4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Comment

Actually no, it sounds to me like their response was fairly prudent. Now if they had blown the thing up with no investigation, or the panic had been because the vehicle had been sitting in the same place for ten minutes in a row, I would say it's an over reaction. But in this case, they have a duty to investigate, and do their best to make certain that there is no threat.

This is the kind of stuff that I agree with. It's full cavity searches for everyone getting on an airplane that I have some issue with.
                  My Mind is the Master of My Reality. My Will is the Tool through which this Mastery is achieved.

Body, Mind, Spirit, explore these topics and more at The Threefold Path

Comment

Working...
                  X