This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on Avoiding Donation Scams

This article has some good points and a link to info where at least one scam has already occurred in Arizona. Disgusting, but it happens:

Beware of Katrina Scams
    My adopted smilies:
    Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
    COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
    The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

I was listening to an NPR show the other day and this organization came up: http://www.charitynavigator.org/ - useful not just for Katrina but any time you are considering donating to a charity.
    I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
    When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark.

"There's always a lot of magic, but our way of seeing is very small and we mostly just call it Nature. Why, we are not at all surprised that we can pick an apple in the autumn that was a pink flower in the spring. That's natural magic and we don't really notice it."
    ~ Pidge
    The Hounds of the Morrigan

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnamon Girl
      I was listening to an NPR show the other day and this organization came up: http://www.charitynavigator.org/ - useful not just for Katrina but any time you are considering donating to a charity.
      *nods* I think that's the site that got suspicious and identiified one of the scammers.

I heard something even more disturbing on NPR today. For those who aren't familiar with NPR, it's National Public radio. It's talk radio about news, politics, the arts and culture and is a reliable source.

Some of the scammers are sending e-mails with links in them that can wreak all kinds of havoc if you click on them. They can do everything from making your comp send spam to gathering your personal info.

So, as usual, if you get a suspicious charity e-mail, absolutely do not click on any links.
      My adopted smilies:
      Joe and LaGina

I Proudly And Lovingly Accept This Banner On Behalf of Our Beloved Flar7 for his poem, "The Chase." It Was Truly How He Lived.

Come Dream With Me...

Oy! My Goddess! Creations
      COS9 is the Goddess of Banners!
      The Goddess Cafe

Well, I've got the message - stay among the living - Stevie Nicks

Comment

http://www.give.org

It's run by the Better Business Bureau to help people determine if a charity is legitimate or not, & if it is legit, how good it is (does most of the funds collected go to helping people, to administration or public relations, etc).
        Living well is the best revenge.:mmm:

Comment

Working...
        X