This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nighthawk
    As a final post from me for a time... i am very sorry i had linked to a graphic..I did not know I had, and i really do not understand the thing at all..... I wil publicly apologize... I did fix the one in question..if there are further violations..I will correct them...bye
    did you notice I said a couple .. you are not the only one linking to my graphic's and making my pay for your pretty graphic displays ... ... But please forgive me I am sick and tired of the excuse of " I DID NOT KNOW " well guess what with these links now everyone can learn .... we have 1 rule now of respect ... yet no one seems to want to respect the fact that I work hard on my graphic's and when one is hotlinked from underneath me when I can hardly pay for my site that is not fair to just claim " ooops I did not know " follow the links and learn about it ... it is wrong ... on the of site has a great example .... if your power got turned off at your house would you take a power cord and hook it up to the next house without asking them so when they got their power bill it would twice or 3 x the amount it should be ... well that is what happens in essence when people steal bandwidth .... the information is out there for you to find ... there should be no reason to claim you did not know you were doing something wrong ... with JD's health we are on a tight budget and this is something that makes me happy to have and I will not see it taken away ciz someone steals it away ....

Comment

as i have to deal with bandwidth theft aka remote linking to my sites a lot - i also woule like to remind people NEVER to do remote linking.

its simply wrong. period

Comment

eta:
        sometimes i change image names, that have been remotedly linked to, and instead of the stolen graphic, then something like:

"I am currently trying to steal graphix from
        XYZ.com" or just a stinky finger or alike

i also have put up "i am a thief" picture
        so everyone visitinbg the persons post knew about their motivations

but its still a pain in the *insert region where no sunshine is*

Comment

I remote link my avatar and images from my own server all the time, I've never noticed any huge bandwidth consumption from it.

I agree that you shouldn't do it without permission, but at the same time, I can't quite figure out why, unless you have some huge 30meg image file or something...

Comment

I want to mention that some of the banners I have created for myself have images NOT in the public domain. But, they are composed of merchant provided images that are given to us for use to sell their products. I am certain they want them used so long as it helps them make money. I guess, that is permission for use and so should be OK.

I do hot link to images. But, hey, the images are served from my own sites and I am not complaining.

And, I want to add that if someone wants to link to an image from one of my sites, I actually NEED all the incoming links I can get. A link to an image is still a link to the search engines! A link to an image, of course can't be spidered but it is still an incoming link and can help raise your page rank value which is very, very well worth the tiny cost of hosting the image. So, just contact me about it first in case it is a merchant image and not one of my own.

In fact, here is a whole page of graphics that I made myself. Link away at will!

http://www.sanfords.net/Spots_free_graphics/Pagan_Banners_1.html

I really need to update that site. I used to think it was cute.
            Last edited by SSanf; August 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM.
            +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
            EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Originally posted by Mindflayer
              I remote link my avatar and images from my own server all the time, I've never noticed any huge bandwidth consumption from it.

I agree that you shouldn't do it without permission, but at the same time, I can't quite figure out why, unless you have some huge 30meg image file or something...
              thats like saying: its not shop ligting, i just took a candy bar

Comment

Originally posted by CzechWoods
                thats like saying: its not shop ligting, i just took a candy bar
                That doesn't make any sense to me. They aren't stealing anything by remote linking your picture, UNLESS they are using it to sell soemthing (which is illegal). Sure it's a small bandwidth hit, but unless it's a huge image, or you have an extremely small amount of bandwidth, I don't see a problem?

Comment

Well, it CAN become a problem for people who have limited bandwidth usage and someone links to an image from a very high traffick site like MW where thousands and thousands of people view the image every day.

Indeed, it can certainly become a very significant problem. In a case such as that, if your hosting costs are going over $50 a month, I can hook you up with a guy who can give you a GREAT deal!

I have dozens of sites so I must know these things. Really, if you are paying more than that for all your sites, combined, I might be able to help.
                  Last edited by SSanf; August 28th, 2005, 10:09 AM.

Sometimes I think "right-to-lifers" only value life if it agrees with them. A fetus can't talk, therefore... it can't offend you with its belief system or looks. It can't tell you it will never go to your church, believe in your god, or exist in your socio-economic class.

A potential child is adorable until it actually exists. Then it's just another object of your scorn. Another despicable product of a broken home, unwed mother, or family that's so large it can't take care of itself.
                  EgwayneR

"I consider myself a Kentuckian first, and an American second. My ethnic background, religion, and politics are secondary to the fact that I am a Louisvillian and a Kentuckian. Kentucky is my country, and it shall always be my home, just as my friends will ever remain my extended family.To nothing else in my life will I ever be so resolutely and steadfastly committed." …. Louisvillian

Comment

Originally posted by Mindflayer
                    That doesn't make any sense to me. They aren't stealing anything by remote linking your picture, UNLESS they are using it to sell soemthing (which is illegal). Sure it's a small bandwidth hit, but unless it's a huge image, or you have an extremely small amount of bandwidth, I don't see a problem?
                    i do see a problem

it is simply wrong

it is neither their image, nor their bandwidth. it plays no role whether the one who has to pay teh bandwidth has the funds or hasnt.

that which is NOT on your server is NOT yours, and MAY NOT be used

imagine you have an apple tree on your house prperty, and every person passing by would step on your property , pick any amount of apples and leave

Comment

i do see a problem

it is simply wrong
                      You oversimplify. It is not wrong, necessarily, any more than following any link is wrong.

it is neither their image, nor their bandwidth. it plays no role whether the one who has to pay teh bandwidth has the funds or hasnt.
                      Mystic Wicks has content, including images, that you access every day. Its not your server, but you follow links to it all the time. Thats the Web architecture. Thats what servers are for.

For every person with expensive bandwidth saying "copy, don't link" there is someone else with dynamic conent saying "link, don't copy". Both are rational positions with strengths and benefits. The issue of the copyright status of the content, whether text or images , is orthogonal to that linking decision. (So a deep linking discussion should really be in another thread).

that which is NOT on your server is NOT yours, and MAY NOT be used
                      You don't define 'use' so its hard to discuss that statement.

Linking is the basis of how the Web works. If a server administrator wants to limit they types of linking in some way - for example, to subscribers only, or to restrict images to only be used with particular referrers, or to only serve something 50 times a day, or only at certain times, or whatever, then the server admin can do that. Access control is part of the Web architecture too, and one solution is not universally appropriate.

For a technical discussion of the issue, please see
                      "Deep Linking" in the World Wide Web
                      http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/deeplinking-20030911
                      by the technical architecture group of the W3C.
                      Last edited by Nantonos; August 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM.
                      History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Comment

i so do wish, that all you people who find remoted stealing of bandwidth be no problem, may be taught the lesson WHY it actually is wrong

i do not wish you harm, in general, but i do wish you the lesson indeed

Comment

a link is a link.
                          a picture is NOT a link

i do not talk public domain
                          i do not discuss when its saying: "take away as you wish"

edited to add:
                          yes i simplify . because to understand right from wrong in terms of stealing needs no complications.
                          the term over-simplify only proves you are not agreeing with the simplification

insert a complifying text, but keep in mind, that that, which is not yours is not yours
                          if you want to use something ask
                          if the answer is no, do not take
                          Last edited by CzechWoods; August 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Here's the thing. It is best to just ask. There are people like me who need and want links of any kind to raise our SE positioning. There are others who are on limited budgets and who do not buy bandwidth in volumn for whom bandwidth is an important factor. So, what is so darned hard about being polite and asking, anyway?

And, I blush when I write that! I ain't no friggin' saint, myself. Especially, not in my novice years of web site construction.

P.S. I over simplify. It is not a techinical link but it gets your site URL on their page where it is read and noted by the SEs. And, that is a good thing. But, I am sure you knew what I meant.
                            Last edited by SSanf; August 28th, 2005, 11:00 AM.

EgwayneR

Comment

Originally posted by SSanf
                              Well, it CAN become a problem for people who have limited bandwidth usage and someone links to an image from a very high traffick site like MW where thousands and thousands of people view the image every day.

Indeed, it can certainly become a very significant problem. In a case such as that, if your hosting costs are going over $50 a month, I can hook you up with a guy who can give you a GREAT deal!

I have dozens of sites so I must know these things. Really, if you are paying more than that for all your sites, combined, I might be able to help.

My friend and I own a website and pay for hosting, we have around 200-250 people that visit the site, surf around, and hang out there for a little bit every-day. I link to pictures off of the server ALL the time, (my avatar is remote linked I beleive), so yes 1000's of MW do see it everyday from my server, I also have multiple links on another very popular message board for a game I play... so figure that's another 100 people visiting the sit on any given day.

so 300-350 people VISITING the site, and 1000's viewing an image from the site every day.

This month, I have not used even 1GB of bandwidth... out of 150GB (yes, 150!), we pay $220 a year (about $18 a month, if you figure it out, but we pay per year).

Go ahead, remote link anything you want my server, I just don't see the problem

Comment

To clarify: I do understand someone taking/linking an image from a site and using it for their own purposes (i.e. to sell soemthing) that is copyright infringement and it is wrong.

However, linking to a picture from a site, just to show the picture, I do not see as wrong. As long as they don't claim it is there, and it's not some ridiculously huge picture, or you have a ridiculously low amount of bandwidth (like a gig or two), then what's the problem?

Comment

Working...
                                X