Hello. Confused, new, Christian-ish. ^_^

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. Confused, new, Christian-ish. ^_^

Hello, hello. I'm divinewriter, an eighteen year-old living in Australia. I've thought of myself as Christian these past few years - I attend church, I read the bible, I worship Yahweh in his triune form of YHWH/Jesus/Holy Spirit (because I'm supposed to, not because I feel a particular connection), but I suppose I must be fairly "left wing" at it, considering I recently took the Belief-O-Matic and there were no Judaic faith systems in my top ten - in fact, my top two were neo-pagan (100%) and new age (97%)!

I've always revered nature, I suppose, and I've always believed that herbal concoctions and the ebb and flow of natural energy can have remarkable effects (I use a medicine pouch to alleviate period pain); I've never thought of it as magic, though. I'm not sure what I think of magic; I understand that there was no condemnation of witches in the Bible until King James decided to start changing it willy-nilly, so I don't think that magic is bad - I'm just not entirely sure.

I've come here (and I've joined another pagan forum, but am still awaiting activation over there) to learn as much as I can about paganism. I am a complete noobie to this; I've purchased a couple of 101 books (primary on Wicca, rather than on general paganism) and have begun researching other deities - it's easier to believe in multiple deities than I had thought it would be! I'm beginning to think that I may be destined to be a pagan (yus, I believe in destiny. :3); I have it in my blood - there are three witches in the past five generations on my mother's side - and I'm finding believing all of this far too easy!

I'm a little scared of some of the deities; Hecate, Xolotl, Anubis and the likes - but I suppose that's probably a very healthy fear, or at least a fear nicely jaded by preconceptions absorbed in Church. I can't see how psychopompers and underworld deities can be all rainbows and unicorns, anyway o_o;;. I'm also a little intimidated by other folklore-ish characters, powerful spirits and the likes, such as Baba Yaga and Lilith -- but you all saw Lilith coming, didn't you?

Well, I hope you all don't mind some nooby questions! I'm bound to have plenty.
    If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.

- CS Lewis

Welcome to the forum! The best piece of advice I can give you at this point, is to take your time with gathering books to read. Buy just one or two at a time, and try to go with authors that are well respected... Ravenwolf, while you *can* learn *some* things from her books, are not books I recommend to beginners. If you're interested in basic neo-Wicca, go with Cunningham. If you want to read something by someone else, but have no clue of the books value to a beginner? Ask. There are tons of people here who can advise you.

Also, if nature is in your heart, meditate. Find a comfy tree, and just relax. Feel. Be in tune with the nature around you. The answers may come more easily then you expect.

As to fear of certain deities... you should probably approach any with a good deal of caution unless you've done at least some research on them. I've yet to meet any deity, regardless of realm, who was all rainbows and sunshine. Feel free to ask around on the forum, and if you get lost in the vastness of the sub-forums, post somewhere general and it will get moved to its proper spot if you can't find it.

I hope you enjoy your visit! If you need anything, feel free to message me... I'm online a lot.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Originally posted by divinewriter View Post
      Hello, hello. I'm divinewriter, an eighteen year-old living in Australia. I've thought of myself as Christian these past few years - I attend church, I read the bible, I worship Yahweh in his triune form of YHWH/Jesus/Holy Spirit (because I'm supposed to, not because I feel a particular connection), but I suppose I must be fairly "left wing" at it, considering I recently took the Belief-O-Matic and there were no Judaic faith systems in my top ten - in fact, my top two were neo-pagan (100%) and new age (97%)!

I've always revered nature, I suppose, and I've always believed that herbal concoctions and the ebb and flow of natural energy can have remarkable effects (I use a medicine pouch to alleviate period pain); I've never thought of it as magic, though. I'm not sure what I think of magic; I understand that there was no condemnation of witches in the Bible until King James decided to start changing it willy-nilly, so I don't think that magic is bad - I'm just not entirely sure.

I've come here (and I've joined another pagan forum, but am still awaiting activation over there) to learn as much as I can about paganism. I am a complete noobie to this; I've purchased a couple of 101 books (primary on Wicca, rather than on general paganism) and have begun researching other deities - it's easier to believe in multiple deities than I had thought it would be! I'm beginning to think that I may be destined to be a pagan (yus, I believe in destiny. :3); I have it in my blood - there are three witches in the past five generations on my mother's side - and I'm finding believing all of this far too easy!

I'm a little scared of some of the deities; Hecate, Xolotl, Anubis and the likes - but I suppose that's probably a very healthy fear, or at least a fear nicely jaded by preconceptions absorbed in Church. I can't see how psychopompers and underworld deities can be all rainbows and unicorns, anyway o_o;;. I'm also a little intimidated by other folklore-ish characters, powerful spirits and the likes, such as Baba Yaga and Lilith -- but you all saw Lilith coming, didn't you?

I can't see how psychopompers and underworld deities can be all rainbows and unicorns
      Somebodies gotta do the job

Welcome to the world of paganism. Even Christians are among us(Mystic Wicks). I used to read this forum all the time before actually thinking to sign up and join the discussion.

Read posts by others or books, ask questions and soon you will start to get a better understanding of how the pagan world and cultures of pagans really are, you will soon start to see your universal life and thereafter view start to evolve into a more open one. Whether or not you agree with the views of others doesn't matter here, we all have our own views of how we practice our paths of spirituality and religion but Mystic Wicks is very much a peaceful co-existing community.
      Last edited by Caesar; June 27th, 2010, 01:04 AM.
      Only by having a balanced education system using both hemispheres of the mind will a person have enough potential circulating through their bodys to see their deepest most accurate version of truth

http://www.godchecker.com > Learn more about the gods in a humorous but educating manner

Comment

Thank you for welcoming me, RoseKitten. I really have to take my time gathering books to read, because there's only one book store around with a New Age section, and that section is greatly understocked! I currently have a book by Denise Zimmerman, a book by Scott Cunningham and a book by Starhawk.

I love to meditate! I learned to meditate a few years ago and have been trying to do it regularly ever since - it can just be hard to find the time / privacy to get into a regular routine with it (or to dress warmly enough to go outside in winter - I like feeling rocks and dirt and grass and such when I meditate).

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to take it all into consideration - and I don't think that I'm anywhere near ready to approach any (other) deities, regardless of whether I'm cautious or not!

Caesar, your ... avatar is very ... interesting! Heh. Thank you for the advice; I was up far, far too late last night just reading a variety of posts here - I have so many questions, I just don't know how to word any of them!
        Last edited by divinewriter; June 27th, 2010, 01:02 AM.
        If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth, only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.

- CS Lewis

Comment

Caesar, your ... avatar is very ... interesting! Heh. Thank you for the advice; I was up far, far too late last night just reading a variety of posts here - I have so many questions, I just don't know how to word any of them!
          Just changed it today :toofless: . The best words are the words that come to mind first, just ask notluad666, he sure doesn't have a problem getting out the infinite amount of questions he has.
          Only by having a balanced education system using both hemispheres of the mind will a person have enough potential circulating through their bodys to see their deepest most accurate version of truth

http://www.godchecker.com > Learn more about the gods in a humorous but educating manner

Comment

Thank you for welcoming me, RoseKitten. I really have to take my time gathering books to read, because there's only one book store around with a New Age section, and that section is greatly understocked! I currently have a book by Denise Zimmerman, a book by Scott Cunningham and a book by Starhawk.

I love to meditate! I learned to meditate a few years ago and have been trying to do it regularly ever since - it can just be hard to find the time / privacy to get into a regular routine with it (or to dress warmly enough to go outside in winter - I like feeling rocks and dirt and grass and such when I meditate).

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to take it all into consideration - and I don't think that I'm anywhere near ready to approach any (other) deities, regardless of whether I'm cautious or not!

What are the titles by those authors? I might be able to recommend a good reading order for them. Also, local bookstores tend to suck when it comes to... most anything. At least, that's the case here in the states. However, amazon.com is my best friend when it comes to books.
            Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Comment

Originally posted by RoseKitten View Post
              What are the titles by those authors? I might be able to recommend a good reading order for them. Also, local bookstores tend to suck when it comes to... most anything. At least, that's the case here in the states. However, amazon.com is my best friend when it comes to books.
              I love Amazon.com - I would buy heaps of stuff from them, but my bank card isn't MasterCard or Visa, so I can't use it for online shopping, and it's very rare when my parents actually let me use their cards to shop and pay them back in cash! :hahugh: (I still live at home)

Denise Zimmerman's is A Complete Idiot's Guide To Wicca And Witchcraft, Starhawk's is The Spiral Dance and Scott Cunningham's is Wicca: A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner.

- CS Lewis

Comment

I'd start with Cunningham and end with Starhawk, personally. If you become fond of the Wiccan flavor, reread the Starhawk book later. You should know after the Cunningham book though, if it's a flavor that peaks your curiosity. If it does, and you still feel that way after the other two, I have a HUGE list of Wicca books, as recommended to me by many elders that I trust. Their list has everything from beginner to advanced, and everything in between.

However, you may find that once you start studying, you'll start getting some subtle... or not so subtle, hints as to where you are truly called to.

Comment

I'd start with Cunningham and end with Starhawk, personally. If you become fond of the Wiccan flavor, reread the Starhawk book later. You should know after the Cunningham book though, if it's a flavor that peaks your curiosity. If it does, and you still feel that way after the other two, I have a HUGE list of Wicca books, as recommended to me by many elders that I trust. Their list has everything from beginner to advanced, and everything in between.

However, you may find that once you start studying, you'll start getting some subtle... or not so subtle, hints as to where you are truly called to.
                  Thank you for the suggestion. I think I'm about one chapter into the book by Cunningham at the moment - it's interesting (though I do find his writing style a little... abraisive). Here's hoping that I get some kind of hint as to where I'm called! I mean, the Belief-O-Matic seems to have already been a nice (albeit man-made :P) sign!

- CS Lewis

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I think I'm about one chapter into the book by Cunningham at the moment - it's interesting (though I do find his writing style a little... abraisive). Here's hoping that I get some kind of hint as to where I'm called! I mean, the Belief-O-Matic seems to have already been a nice (albeit man-made :P) sign!
                    Actually, you'll find the abrasive quality good in the long run. Wicca is portrayed as pooping rainbows anymore, and at it's core... that's not even close.

Comment

Actually, you'll find the abrasive quality good in the long run. Wicca is portrayed as pooping rainbows anymore, and at it's core... that's not even close.
                      Oh, I don't mean that the content itself is abraisive; I'm talking specifically about his style of writing. It's often what puts me off a book in the end, if the content is good - writing that I don't 'mesh' with. Still, the content is extremely interesting, so I'm persisting.

- CS Lewis

Comment

Oh, I don't mean that the content itself is abraisive; I'm talking specifically about his style of writing. It's often what puts me off a book in the end, if the content is good - writing that I don't 'mesh' with. Still, the content is extremely interesting, so I'm persisting.
                        Sorry, I misunderstood. I've been up for 30+ hours... There's good info in that book, honestly, I promise! Another one that's good from a spiritual standpoint, is one I just finished. It's called "The Circle Within" and it's by Dianne S(something... tired...). She doesn't cover the tools, but she does cover the aspect of bringing deity into our daily lives. However, if you decide to follow something other then Wiccan, it may end up being irrelevant. A decent read though, if you decide upon this path.

Comment

I love Amazon.com - I would buy heaps of stuff from them, but my bank card isn't MasterCard or Visa, so I can't use it for online shopping, and it's very rare when my parents actually let me use their cards to shop and pay them back in cash! :hahugh: (I still live at home)
                          I much prefer bookdepository.com - books are generally cheaper and free shipping world wide
                          "I'm a foodaholic and I'm on the road to recovery."
                          "You can't really love anyone who never makes you laugh."

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet. Beloved of Satet and Amun-Ra

I offer reasonable priced readings, please take a look here AND on Facebook

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

I echo what some of the others have said (and I've only read the first page, FYI, cuz I'm running short on time), Cunningham is a great place to start.

SRW is...ok. I have issues with her at time, but she isn't a horrid source, just an...immature one I guess?

People don't just get jaded being part of a church...anyone who was raised to "fear" the dark can have preconcieved notions. I say throw away all that you have learned and approach everything with an open mind.

And please don't think you have to turn your back completely on your faith just because of a test. Do it because you gravitate to it. Having a medicine pouch and believing in the ebb and flow of nature doesn't necessarily make you a pagan...Lots of the Catholic saints did that!

Anyways, welcome to MysticWicks where lots of noobs ask noobish questions, and no one really minds because that's what we love to do, be helpful. Feel free to message me at anytime.
                              Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
                              my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

Comment

Working...
                              X