My introduction.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My introduction.

Hello! I sort-of introduced myself in the Ice-Breaker thread, but I wanted to properly introduce myself before I go off posting somewhere else. There are only a few things about myself that I feel like sharing right now, and they are:

My reason for joining this site. I'm in search of myself, like most people, and one thing that I feel is missing is an outlet for my spirituality. Over the last couple of years I've let that area of my life dry up in the face of life-hardships, and I'm not going to let that continue.

I have no idea what religious vein you could place me in. In the past I've been Christian, gnostic, Pagan and atheist. My problem is that I can't stop questioning whatever system I'm involved in, even atheism, so it's like I'm constantly fighting against reigns that I put on myself in the first place. I wonder if it's even possible for me to belong to a religion. I've always thought of religion as the setting of boundaries, the respecting of forces outside of your control. When you get it into your mind like I have that those uncontrollable forces are not things that you have to appease or fear, that they exist for everyone equally, hypothetically you lose the fear that I think is necessary to submit to religion. I've never actually lost that fear, and now I'm in a place where I logically don't need religion to be functional, but I do need it to be happy and to feel safe.

I love to read. Books are my life and my liberty, and I'm never happier than when I'm in a library or anywhere surrounded by books. I'm up for a job at the local library and I haven't been happier about anything in years.

My moods are changeable, on a noticeably extreme level. When I filled out the Ice-Breaker questionnaire I felt like writing more than a few words was impossible, and right now I feel fine and am probably saying too much. So if for some reason I like it here and you all like me, just keep in mind that my seeming withdrawn hasn't got a thing to do with you, so please don't be offended.
    Last edited by LifeOnMars; November 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.)
    -Walt Whitman

Welcome to MW. I hope you find what you are looking for here.
    "You get a wonderful view from the point of no return" -- T. Pratchett

No matter how beautifully presented, it's still a plate of bullshit. It never ceases to amaze me that people will still swallow it knowing exactly what it is they're swallowing. ~ Me

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest."
    — Confucius

Comment

Welcome to MW, I love books as well :boing:

So tie me to a post and block my ears
      I can see widows and orphans through my tears
      I know my call despite my faults
      And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
      And I won't let you choke
      On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
      And I will change my ways
      I'll know my name as it's called again
      ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight

Comment

Thank you both! =)
        Do I contradict myself?
        -Walt Whitman

Comment

Welcome to MW, and I hope you find it peaceful here!
          From below the dragon / Dark comes forth
          Nithhogg flying / From Nithafjoll
          The bodies of men / On wings he bears
          The serpent bright / But now must I sink

The Poetic Edda, Vol. 1
          Lays of the Gods - Voluspo

Comment

Welcome!
            :heartbrea Will the flood behind me/ Put out the fire inside me? :heartbrea

" ...the world is so full of people, so crowded with these miracles that they become commonplace and we forget... I forget. We gaze continually at the world and it grows dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another's vantage point, as if new, it may still take our breath away. Come - dry your eyes. For you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly..." - Dr. Manhattan, Watchmen

This has been... My Signature. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you!
              Do I contradict myself?
              -Walt Whitman

Comment

Welcome to MW There are many good people here and lots of links to find what you are looking for.

It is always good to keep questioning things, that is how we grow.
                ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
                Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

Comment

Welcome to MW. I hope you find what you're looking for here. We have a whole forum dedicated to books, not just Pagan books either. I'm a HUGE fan of books myself.

*Passes over a pitcher of Blue's lemonade and a plate of cookies*
                  It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Comment

Welcome to MW!!!

You're not the only seeker here, there are plenty of others around that are seekers also.

I hope you find the path/beliefs that are right for you. Blessings!!!

ETA: Did someone say "BOOKS"??? I love reading and my house is loaded full of books of all kinds... :hahugh:
                    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Thank you all! =) I did look around at the Path forums and it looks like I have a lot of reading to do!
                      Do I contradict myself?
                      -Walt Whitman

Comment

The Paths forum is great!!! Lots of information in there. :boing:
                        "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

"If a book has my name on it, I wrote it. Every word of it." ~Nora Roberts.

Comment

Originally posted by LifeOnMars View Post
                          My problem is that I can't stop questioning whatever system I'm involved in, even atheism, so it's like I'm constantly fighting against reigns that I put on myself in the first place.
                          I still do this as well. I am such a skeptic that I sometimes get in my own way.

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Working...
                          X