Us...Evolving Into...Aliens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Us...Evolving Into...Aliens?

I have no idea if this is the correct forum. If it is not, I do apologise.

A friend of mine recently presented a very interesting concept/theory. She says that she has often thought that perhaps we are evolving into aliens as we imagine/know them on film, art and other works.

She notes that we are becoming less and less physical in our daily lives and more and more dependent on computers and machinery. She stated that we would develop large heads to contain our much-needed larger brains. We could develop long limbs with long fingers complete with flattened tips for good button pushing ability. We really would not need the type of skin we currently have because we would spend most of our time seated at a computer control station to work and live, as we would most likely not go outside and would have no need to. Most physical work, even for activities of daily living, would become computerized and automated. Eating could be done via melt-away strips or pills placed in our teeny tiny mouths, no longer needing to be large enough to eat "real" food. Speaking would not be needed, as we all will communicate, live, work and be entertained right from our "residential cubicles" via computers.

Ewww! What a nasty-looking thing to evolve into! What a nasty existance, IMO. I would not enjoy that lifestyle at all.

She went on to state that perhaps the aliens are, in fact, ourselves, evolved and visiting from the future with our own future technology. Akkk!!!

But the concept is pretty thought provoking, IMO.
    Last edited by SnowyMoon; October 19th, 2006, 12:15 PM.
    ~*SnowyMoon*~

Banner created by SkySilver

"Before I knew it I was laughing freely, standing there, snowflakes coating my hair and brushing my face, as I stood still staring at the sky." ~ Melissa Ray Davis

Mooncup Evangelist.

That's a very interesting idea, although kind of disturbing. I think that people would miss out on so many experiences in nature and being outside if that were to ever happen. It does seem like more and more is being done by computers and technology so maybe it's a possibility.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it"
    -Albert Einstein

Comment

not such a mad theory i dont think-we are constantly evolving-why couldnt it be into that?

Comment

won't happen...for all of us anyway. We still do too many physical things, even if for nothing more than recreation. Sports are still incredibly popular and i don't see that changing. Even people that don't do sports, many of them are part of the "gym craze" and work out 4-5 times a week. This mindset would have to completly vanish before people could start to evolve into something like that. even if our heads got bigger to encompass our growing brains...the necks would get stronger for those that remained active.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(")
        This is bunny 2.0...He's conquered so many sigs that he leveled up!!

myspace: http://www.myspace.com/aeroeng16

Comment

Hmmm... There's a guy who wrote a couple of books, one was called Megatrends and I forget the other title but it was similar. He looked at many trends within society and how they seemed to be interacting with one another. He had this idea of 'high-tech/high-touch' which points out that as people in general use more technology, they have a desire to compensate for it by being more physical (exercise, crafts, sight-seeing in person, camping, sex, aerobics, you name it). There are people who are exceptions - the 'couch potatoes' and 'mouse potatoes' - but there are also people who are exceptionally physical.

I spent my early childhood years before big era of personal computers, and TV was a temptation for me. My father was working during the week, and my mom only had a part-time job, so she was home more. She always used to get me to go outside rather than watch TV... we had a yard, a huge walnut tree to climb, lawn, shrubs & berry bushes... lots of birds around, pet cats and dogs, I built bird feeders and had projects outside. There are still lots of parents who feel this kind of thing is good for their kids.

Also, I think that the ecology movement in recent decades has pointed out that we cannot possibly automate many of the tasks and jobs where our society interfaces with nature - like forestry, stream-keeping, fish conservation and management, agriculture, and stuff. If we do, we lose the element of close human perception, and intuition, and hands-on care... then we ruin our environment and our health. Same thing (a parallel) with social problems in the cities and towns.

I think the picture is bigger than your friend has painted it.

Tanemon
          Last edited by Tanemon; October 20th, 2006, 03:04 PM. Reason: Bad spelling (typos).
          "Energy is Eternal Delight"

Comment

I somewhat agree with your friend, I do feel the "grey" depiction especially is very much what we may become... I view the greys as how a very old, frail human being would be.... grey skin, as life barely flows throug the body to give that pink hue,.... the enlongated fingers could be evolution to use our hands better, skin recessing against the skeleton, or both....the total lack of hair even seems very probably, especially being so comfortable with technology...

I'll say one thing for sure, everytime I see a photorealistic depiciton of a grey I get freaked out....

Comment

Although it doesnt sound true to me it was am interestinf theory, amd very deffinately worth the giggles it gave me.
              Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

Comment

That would explain some people I know....

Darbla

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
                and then there are those who turn one into the other. ~ Douglas Everett

"We gaze up at the same stars, the sky covers us all, the same universe encompasses us. What does it matter what practical system we adopt in our search for the truth? Not by one avenue alone can we arrive at so tremendous a secret."
                Symmachus
                384 C.E.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
                ~ Gene Roddenberry

"Finish each day and be done with it.
                You have done what you could;
                some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
                forget them as soon as you can.
                Tomorrow is a new day;
                you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
                to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
                Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser - www.JonathonArt.com

Comment

this is actually one therory to alien vistors, that they are time travellers from our future, I am sure it has been discussed somewhere on the paranormal.

Comment

I'd hate to nit pick but if we're still on Earth isn't it impossible for us to be aliens? At least to our own planetmates.
                    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
                    -Me

(\_/)
                    (O.o)
                    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

Comment

Isn't more we are becoming machines, like the borg?

Comment

Will we change? Sure. But by the time evolution found a way to change us succesfully (millennia), we'll have seriously changed the way we use technology (decades). So no, not going to happen this way.
                        Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
                        Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

Comment

If we do become more like the 'aliens' it won't happen that way. Evolution works by genetic mutation, and nature keeps what works. What doesn't simply dies out. Life doesn't change merely because the circumstances change, otherwise so many species wouldn't be becoming extinct.
                          Whether we name divine presence synchronicity, serendipity, or graced moment matters little.
                          What matters is the reality that our hearts have been understood.
                          Nothing is as real as a healthy dose of magic which restores our spirits.
                          - Nancy Long

Comment

Sorry, it is a cool idea but biological evolution doesn't work that way :-/ What you're describing is Lamarkian. Individuals do not evolve, populations do. We don't accumulate changes based on our environment and pass them on to our offspring, rather random mutation produces variability in the DNA sequence of individuals, which is sometimes translated into physical variability. Those individuals that survive best in a particular environment, live to reproduce more and have a chance of passing on that particular gene combination that made them succeed in the first place.

This requires that the mutation helps the individual have more children and thereby get their genes into the next generation. I don't think that any of the changes you mentioned would help an individual have more children so it is unlikely that if a mutation that produced these changes did crop up it would result in an increase in individual fitness.

Also, the changes you mentioned are physical changes, rather, changes based on how an individual lives, these are called non-genetically based phenotypic traits and are not capable of being inherited. You would have to have a genetic mutation in the individual that caused them to be weaker etc... for it to be inherited. This mutation would occur in the sperm or egg that joined to create the individual, not in some random cell in their adult body.

Still, it is an interesting idea!
                            Libris

"Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom." ~Theodore Rubin

Comment

us into aliens?

though i hope its not true, i have come up with a similar theory myself, that aliens are us from the future. think about it, they're technology is far more advanced than ours, meaning they must have been around much longer than us, traveling through space is also like traveling through time, so if they are comming from another dimension to present day earth, maybe where they are comming from IS earth, in a different time zone. interesting huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X