Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Hawking warns over making contact with aliens

here's an interesting perspective on et.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/mobile/uk_news/8642558.stm
    Aliens almost certainly exist but humans should avoid making contact, Professor Stephen Hawking has warned.
    In a series for the Discovery Channel the renowned astrophysicist said it was "perfectly rational" to assume intelligent life exists elsewhere.
    But he warned that aliens might simply raid Earth for resources, then move on.
    "If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," he said.
    Prof Hawking thinks that, rather than actively trying to communicate with extra-terrestrials, humans should do everything possible to avoid contact.
    He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
    Groucho Marx

Heh. Sage advice.
    I've been :vanish: by Astara

Comment

I remember seeing the previews for that. It's logical enough, but I have one question. If we don't find any aliens out there first, how will we know they are coming to raid us in time to actually take protective measures if they do mean us harm? I mean seriously. If we are going to assume there are aliens out there who want to raid our planet and probably kill many of us, why the hell would we not want to find them first? Anyone ever wonder if the Native Americans had found Europe first, do you think they would even have allowed the ships anywhere near land without sinking them? Underwater booby traps were well within their technology I'm sure. There were plenty of things they could have done early on to protect themselves. Being proactive is always better than being reactive. Just some ideas my brain is spewing out for consideration.
      Amo la mia vita!
      sigpic

Comment

Old old news in sense, Hawking has been saying this for literally decades.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Comment

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."
          That is possible the most profound statment I have ever heard.

Its Edna the Stunt Double. "Help, I've fallen and I have no legs!"[/FONT]
          Yesterday is but a memory.
          Tomorrow? But a dream.
          You can only live for Today.
          So make today a yesterday worth remembering fondly tomorrow! (c)

Click HERE to enter Paxglade Valley!!!
          YahooIM...twigjatmetacrawler
          Official Crazy Old Man of MW!

AKA Mad Jack Cash - Bard on the Loose

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Grey View Post
            Yeah, but now it's on tv. Sadly that is the only way most people know anything Professor Hawking says.

(No, this isn't a personal attack or evil predators teaming up on individuals. This is humor {albeit sad} related to how people in general are likely to get all of their information from television)
            There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by memnoch View Post
              Yeah, but now it's on tv. Sadly that is the only way most people know anything Professor Hawking says.

(No, this isn't a personal attack or evil predators teaming up on individuals. This is humor {albeit sad} related to how people in general are likely to get all of their information from television)
              fair enough....however, i do not have tv, nor have i had for many years.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Grey View Post
                Agreed, but at least it has (finally) sprung up in pop culture... it may be a positive thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lena C. View Post
                  I If we don't find any aliens out there first, how will we know they are coming to raid us in time to actually take protective measures if they do mean us harm? I mean seriously. If we are going to assume there are aliens out there who want to raid our planet and probably kill many of us, why the hell would we not want to find them first?
                  Wouldn't it be better to assume that they are there, and just take protective measures, rather than try to contact them and basically send a signal flare saying "here we are"? And at this point, we don't have the technological capabilities to make any kind of rapid space travel. So finding them first probably wouldn't do us any good in terms of interception.
                  If we do send signals out to contact aliens, who's to say they would be answered if said aliens are intent on raiding our planet.

Just my thoughts.
                  [urlt]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516159344[/url]

Comment

Out of all the life that lives in our universe, Sentient or not... There are malevolent beings and the opposite as well, plus they can range through out the whole spectrum above.

It's all a matter if we come across a race that is dominating and war-faring
                    or one that is neutral, or one that is a kinder more intelligent race. The point is it all depends on the motives of these races which could determine the fate of human kind if we were to interlope with them.
                    "Sleep a sleepless night or forever dream of sleeping one." -by Me

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightFire View Post
                      Wouldn't it be better to assume that they are there, and just take protective measures, rather than try to contact them and basically send a signal flare saying "here we are"? And at this point, we don't have the technological capabilities to make any kind of rapid space travel. So finding them first probably wouldn't do us any good in terms of interception.
                      If we do send signals out to contact aliens, who's to say they would be answered if said aliens are intent on raiding our planet.

Just my thoughts.

Oh, I understand that. I'm just saying his logic is slightly flawed in assuming that not knowing or hiding from them is better. I was thinking more on recon in order to better defend ourselves, rather than actively pursuing them. Just theory. I know we can't really put it into practice since it takes forever to just get to the edge of our own solar system. And why do we always assume they are more advanced anyway? Just something I am curious about. If we don't even know for sure that aliens exist why would we assume they are smarter than us? Most humans assume they are top of the food chain. It seems strange that with the idea of aliens we assume the opposite.
                      Amo la mia vita!
                      sigpic

Comment

He's got a valid point.
                        I have no desire to make contact with aliens...I like my Earth and don't wanna share lol.

Comment

On the other hand if they are technologically advanced it could be extremely beneficial. I don't see any reason to take the perspective of fear, a species that has the capability to traverse the universe in such a way we have no idea how they would respond. Comparing them to the slaughter of the Indians is ridiculous because even humans have had a mixed record of contacts between each other, much less what contact would be like with a race of another world.

No matter the point, and as powerful as fear is, human curiosity will always trump it.
                          You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Vampiel View Post
                            . Comparing them to the slaughter of the Indians is ridiculous because even humans have had a mixed record of contacts between each other, much less what contact would be like with a race of another world.

No matter the point, and as powerful as fear is, human curiosity will always trump it.
                            good points.
                            however, even if humans have not slaughtered new peoples that we have come into contact with, we are still trying to indoctrinate them to christianity.
                            papua new guinea is a prime example.
                            first contact with unknown tribes is shortly followed by missionaries, western clothing and coca cola.
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Twig View Post
                              That is possible the most profound statment I have ever heard.

I concur!

Life is a terminal sexually transmitted condition. There is no known cure & we are unable to determine how long you will have to live.
                              LDMS

Comment

Working...
                              X