I lost my faith, has anyone seen it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
    Welcome home, Lalaith. I feel like I can say that now. What can you do to help revive your faith? I've just sat here reading and occasionally posting, letting the blood flow. Why not try to make one post every day? Doesn't have to be deep and meaningful. Just respond to something someone says. Yesterday I went on a tear and tried to get the entire front page to have my name as the most recent post in every category. It was fun! I think I've shaken off some of my hard-learned reticence, and it feels good. You mentioned that your beliefs have shifted -- maybe you could start by talking about how and why.
    I think that's a good idea. When I did my initial journalling, here are a few things I came up with:

I believe in the deities, but I have come to accept that they are (at least in my believe, path, and life) silent observers. They support and accept me, but I do not believe I can pray to them for a tangible thing and have that thing simply fall out of the sky. I never really believed THAT, to be honest, but that knowledge has cemented. I'm ok with that, though, because I now also more firmly believe in my ability to manifest things for myself.

I believe there is energy in everything, and every thing lends its own unique blueprint to the energy residing in it. People, rocks, herbs, places, ideas...all are infused with energy, and if you understand the mechanics of it, I think it's possible to use those 'blueprints' to affect change in other areas. Suppose I'm feeling sour and emotionally drained; I might listen to some positive, high-energy music, and let that blueprint flow onto me.

Just as I think you can be open to energy, I think you can be closed to it, and there's a time and a place to reject certain energies.

This is all very technical, really, and probably doesn't sound very spiritual. But I'm just starting small--what of my old beliefs do I still hold to be true? What even applies anymore?

I wrote a few interesting essays on ethics, just for myself, back in the day. I think that will be the next topic I address--what's right, what's not, how do I apply that every day, and why bother to apply it at all?
    "There are some things which transcend even the discipline of the service."

Comment

Originally posted by Lalaith View Post
      This is all very technical, really, and probably doesn't sound very spiritual.
      It's very spiritual to me, actually.

But I'm just starting small--what of my old beliefs do I still hold to be true? What even applies anymore?
      Knowing where you are is a big help in knowing where to go next.

I wrote a few interesting essays on ethics, just for myself, back in the day. I think that will be the next topic I address--what's right, what's not, how do I apply that every day, and why bother to apply it at all?
      Sounds great to me!

Comment

i know how you feel. between work, the baby, the move, and just trying to keep the house clean (which doesnt ever seem to happen, but whatever) it seems like i dont have much time for anything else. some days i just have to say to hell with it and take a day to myself, go down to the beach, go to a drum circle, talk to some fellow pagan friends.. .just to remind myself.
        -THE GREAT MANDU-

sigpic

Comment

I'm wondering if the reason so many of us drift away from spiritual practices is that they really don't have any real or practical use in our lives? They really don't impact your quality of living and health as much as work, taking care of family and house, and things like that do, and when you're putting out effort on something that doesn't pay off, it's natural to quit doing it.

These days I really question the value of religion and spirituality in my life at all. I've seen and experienced religion doing more damage than good (but that's because of the people involved and how they were carrying it out, not necessarily the religion itself), so I'm just questioning if it's really worth fooling with at all.

Darbla

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
          and then there are those who turn one into the other. ~ Douglas Everett

"We gaze up at the same stars, the sky covers us all, the same universe encompasses us. What does it matter what practical system we adopt in our search for the truth? Not by one avenue alone can we arrive at so tremendous a secret."
          Symmachus
          384 C.E.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
          ~ Gene Roddenberry

"Finish each day and be done with it.
          You have done what you could;
          some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
          forget them as soon as you can.
          Tomorrow is a new day;
          you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
          to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser - www.JonathonArt.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darbla View Post
            I'm wondering if the reason so many of us drift away from spiritual practices is that they really don't have any real or practical use in our lives?
            This is exactly why I'm trying to make more of a habit of incorporating my spirituality into practical uses for my daily life. Religion shouldn't be something you only do on set days, or because something's going wrong in your life, and so on and so forth. I do think it should be more of a daily thing... but that can be a lot of hard work, unless you really take the time to think about it and make it a habit.

But really, it's different for everybody. I personally am a bit more of a kitchen witch and animist. It's hard to seperate spirituality from daily life when everything involved in your daily life is also part of your spirituality. It's the way I've kept myself from drifting. Spirituality is very important to me; it seems that I need it to be a daily thing. But that's me. I understand that other people can see it very differently.
            sigpic
            My artwork is for sale!! Visit http://etsy.me/dIFblg. Support a starving artist!!!! (Please... I'm hungry!) [email protected]

Thanks to Faeawyn for my banner.

Comment

"into the black void of college, graduation, and full-time work "

-Somebody sounds a little depressed.

"That leaves me on my own,"

-You are never alone, your Deities are always with you. Stay with Them.

"and for the last year, I just haven't felt very spiritually inclined."

-Release the burden of yesterday's patterns.

"There were groceries to buy and the car to get fixed, and the anniversary (one year; not married--yet!) to plan, the laundry to do,"

-Is any if this a big surprise to you?

"I've decided I'd rather MAKE time, but it's been so long I'm no longer sure how to go about that."

-Pray, it's like getting dressed in the morning and undressed at night.

"In fact, I'm not even sure what I believe anymore--I always had a loose practice, but consider me mainstream Wiccan, leaning towards Celtic deity worship."

-I can't help you with this one, you must find your faith.

"For the here and now in the forum--how do you find time?"

-All time is now.

"How does spirituality--not magic, necessarily--incorporate into your life on a daily basis?"

-I pray in the morning, and I pray at night. If I do nothing else, at least I do that. It takes 2 minutes out of my day, maybe 4 minutes. You have that much time too.

"When do you find time to give thanks, and what for?"

-What would I not give thanks to my Deities for?

"What about your faith helps get you through the day?"

-They get me through the day, faith is simply how that happens.
              sigpic

God, Godess, Earth, Air, Fire, Water,
              All these words are typed in your sight,
              all these words are my responsibility.
              If it pleases you, guide my fingers for the benefit of those to whom I write.

-In Your Six Divine Names, So Be It.

Comment

I know how you feel. My faith (or not exactly my faith but my rituals) have been snowed under by everyday life as well. Like you I have lived in two different places for a while and I agree that this does make it harder to stay connected. I didn't feel I had a safe base and unfortunately it just slipped from me. Thankfully now I have the peace and quiet again to come back. But it's hard, I feel like I have to start all over again somehow. I hope I will never again drift so far off.
                LacyRose's morning ritual sounds so lovely; walking into that wonderful garden... Unfortunately I live in the middle of Rotterdam, i.e. grey and dirty. But hey, the sighting of a bunny or something is all the more exciting here :D
                ... everything mortal has moments immortal ...

Comment

I lost my faith has anyone seen it

...everyone has given you excellent advice. As well, also ask yourself if you can act with knowledge instead of faith, and remain pagan. Maybe there are things you need to add to your own personal wisdom about your actions that may help you continue. Know why you do what you do. As rational and modern beings we live in an age of Information, so perhaps there are things about paganism you could study, as a means of re-grounding your beliefs. You might read a book about mythology (not a book of myths, a mythologer's book). You might read a book about rituals, or read a book about the history of the ancient culture(s) your pantheon is from.
                  If all else fails, don't be afraid to say, okay, this really isn't working for me anymore, and let be. On the one hand, it may be the most sensible thing to you, or, on the other, a new path may reveal itself too, or you may have an epiphany. You know, your totem appears in a dream, or you have the 'visitation from Heaven' sort of thing, where the three cows of the Goddess give you the inspirational Riverdance, as discussed in another thread here. *B*B*
                  Carpe Caelum.

Comment

I think I'm going to start spontaneously talking to my HGA all the time. See if I can feel some responses or stirrings that feel meaningful or like something spiritual is moving. I dont think I can mentally do much more than that at the moment, but that's a start, right?

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality;
                    and then there are those who turn one into the other. ~ Douglas Everett

"We gaze up at the same stars, the sky covers us all, the same universe encompasses us. What does it matter what practical system we adopt in our search for the truth? Not by one avenue alone can we arrive at so tremendous a secret."
                    Symmachus
                    384 C.E.

"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes."
                    ~ Gene Roddenberry

"Finish each day and be done with it.
                    You have done what you could;
                    some blunders and absurdities have crept in;
                    forget them as soon as you can.
                    Tomorrow is a new day;
                    you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit
                    to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
                    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Avatar artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser - www.JonathonArt.com

Comment

Working...
                    X