Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Started

I've tried running groups and classes before and they often went bust within 3 or 4 months, either from my own burn out, or political garbage that had more to do with old wounds in the community then anything of actual consequence.

Anyhow, I'm at a place in my life where I don't think burn out is a danger (unless I go over board and try to do EVERYTHING at once) so I'm willing to try again. However, this time round I want to go slow and do it right.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what ground work I should be engaging in/focusing on?
    Last edited by Vigdisdotter; July 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM. Reason: I just woke up and I can't spell :P
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

Organize. Thats really helped me, and when my group came together, thats something that my sisters said really impressed them. If you have a good gameplan when you start, you make less work for yourself down the line.

When I started my group, I knew what kind of group I wanted to start. I created a website, created a set of bylaws that we could easy change and grow. I created a plan on how I would get our "name out there," ie: Pagan Directories, etc. I sketched out a class syllabus. Within the first month of being a coven, I created handouts for the classes. I created templates to track what I might need to track. All the work you do now, saves you work for later. You might not have the time nor energy to create handouts, while planning a meeting, and managing a tricky coven dynamic.

Also, make sure you know what you don't want to take place in the group- And put it all in your bylaws- post them on your groups' site, so people know exactly what they are getting into if they decide to join your group, or take your class. When you have students whining about doing homework, that can cause some serious aggravation. Better they know in advance that its a'comin. Heeeheee, I call it "disclaimers." I want any potential covener to know what they are getting into, exactly.

So, I guess my short answer is... organize. And inform. Don't rush yourself to get this all done in a week. Give yourself a month at LEAST to plan it out. You'll be happy you did!
    Ivy Artemisia
    Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
    Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

Makes good sense Out of curiosity, can I ask what sort of things you needed to "track"?
      The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Well, keep in mind, Im a virgo.

Attendance, (b/c in my group peeps need to come to 75% of all events they are supposed to be at), finances (ie: dues, where the money goes, along with all reciepts), dates of initiation, elevation, class completion. I like to kinda keep a handle on all that.

Its also nice, because if someone is wondering where the dues went, I've documented it. Dues has since been handed over to another person in my group, but at least I gave it to her all organized.

This has given me a good idea- I'm gonna go put my sisters' iniation anniversary dates on the coven calendar.

Oh- thats another thing-- decide how you are going to communicate. We started with a yahoogroup, but now we are on a full blown message board.
        Ivy Artemisia
        Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
        Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

Working...
        X