Favourite Public Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Public Event

One thing that I've run into, when trying to organize public events, is that there is o much more then just Public Ritual that can be done. And of course everyone has their preferences.

So I'm curious, what is your favourite type of event to put on/organize/lead and what is your to just attend and enjoy?

Myself, when it comes to putting things on, I'm split between coffee moots and Yule rituals.

As for attending, I'm a social butterfly. As long as I have time and there isn't going to be one of the local ashhats attending (I don't really want to go to jail for homicide, no matter how justified) then I'm so there :P
    The Sexy Heathen Babe

Regarding planning: I've never really planned a large scale event before. We have regular open circles in the summer/fall and for Yule, and I think my favorite was last years Lughnasadh circle. We had a picnic, and we played games- badminton, and tug of war, and had a nature scavenger hunt. We usually dont have huge turnouts, but we still have a lot of fun!

Attending: I like anything! I'm the opposite of you, I'm a social phobe -> I have social anxiety, so meeting new people is very challenging to me. I still do it, of course, but it's a challenge. I rather like large events that I can attend with friends.
    Ivy Artemisia
    Twilight Spiral Coven [Site | Facebook]
    Hearth and Hedgerow [Site | Etsy Shop]

Comment

I'm planning a major conference now... working on a big name speaker. will have to arrange 3 rituals, (including writing, rehearsing with my group, etc) - opening, main and close. workshops for 2 days will also have to be scheduled.
      have to have theme to tie it all together, as well. Thinking about Community
      *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
      The Mysteries aren't secret.
      They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
      There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Elise~ View Post
        I'm planning a major conference now... working on a big name speaker. will have to arrange 3 rituals, (including writing, rehearsing with my group, etc) - opening, main and close. workshops for 2 days will also have to be scheduled.
        Hi Elise! That sounds like fun-well it sounds like a LOT of work, but it sounds like it would be fun to attend! Do you have a large community in Tulsa?

If you are focusing on community for your rituals, might I suggest something? We just had an open meeting/circle and we focused on the idea that we all are connected to one another. We created a web by tossing a ball of yarn across the circle. It was really interesting. Then I tied each persons section off, and clipped it, and they took it with them in a small little bag. We focused on realizing the energy bonds that we create with every person we interact with during the day/night, but it could easily be turned into a circle with a focus on building and weaving a community together.

I'm sure that you probably have a million ideas, since you've done large scale public circles, but I just thought I'd suggest it, since it seems like you have shouldered a heckuva lot of responsibility there. A sister of mine attended a circle where they had two balls of yard floating around the circle. I guess it would depend on the attendance of the circle.

Just something to think about.
        Ivy Artemisia

Comment

Originally posted by ~Elise~ View Post
          Hot DAMN, that's ambitious The goal of my five year pagan plan is to have a festival or conference, but I have no clue where to start.
          The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Originally posted by magickalmeli View Post
            Regarding planning: I've never really planned a large scale event before. We have regular open circles in the summer/fall and for Yule, and I think my favorite was last years Lughnasadh circle. We had a picnic, and we played games- badminton, and tug of war, and had a nature scavenger hunt. We usually dont have huge turnouts, but we still have a lot of fun!
            Fun is good have you ever had any problems with people or other factors when putting on events?

Attending: I like anything! I'm the opposite of you, I'm a social phobe
            Want some of my extroverted tendencies? I have lots to spare....too much some would say ~_^
            The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

have you ever had any problems with people or other factors when putting on events?
              Yes. I remember, once evening we had a fundie approach us during circle while in the park. That was the night I feel that I 'became' the HPS. It was almost an initiation, because I had some pissed off coven members. But I took care of it. I set a ward, and was very polite while he went off to call the cops, and then I had to deal with the police.

But they were cute. I think they were hoping to catch naked dancing witches.

Want some of my extroverted tendencies?
              Please? Or, 2-3 shots of Cuervo seem to solve my problem.

I think we posted at about the same time... funny!
              Ivy Artemisia

Comment

Hi Elise! That sounds like fun-well it sounds like a LOT of work, but it sounds like it would be fun to attend! Do you have a large community in Tulsa?

If you are focusing on community for your rituals, might I suggest something? We just had an open meeting/circle and we focused on the idea that we all are connected to one another. We created a web by tossing a ball of yarn across the circle. It was really interesting. Then I tied each persons section off, and clipped it, and they took it with them in a small little bag. We focused on realizing the energy bonds that we create with every person we interact with during the day/night, but it could easily be turned into a circle with a focus on building and weaving a community together.

I'm sure that you probably have a million ideas, since you've done large scale public circles, but I just thought I'd suggest it, since it seems like you have shouldered a heckuva lot of responsibility there. A sister of mine attended a circle where they had two balls of yard floating around the circle. I guess it would depend on the attendance of the circle.

Just something to think about.
                LOL--last time that particular ritual was done... the group was accused of binding everyone.
                yeah--I know--idiots.

I'll come up with some version similar to it.

Elise
                *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
                The Mysteries aren't secret.
                They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
                There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Comment

LOL--last time that particular ritual was done... the group was accused of binding everyone.
                  haha, wow.

It was really funny when we did it- I was acting as the outfielder. Man, that ball of yarn can go a long way when its not caught!
                  Ivy Artemisia

Comment

haha, wow.

It was really funny when we did it- I was acting as the outfielder. Man, that ball of yarn can go a long way when its not caught!
                    <giggles> binding, huh?

We did that at the local PPD two years ago. People had lots of fun and only minimal tangles ~_^
                    The Sexy Heathen Babe

Comment

Working...
                    X